996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

DIY: Horn overly sensitive or goes off under braking?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 11:51 AM
soreshoulder is infamous around these parts
DIY: Horn overly sensitive or goes off under braking?

here's a writeup I did on rennlist:

Supposedly there is already a DIY on renntech, but it says I don't have permission to look at it, so whatever, here we go:
A common-ish issue on the 996/7 is that the horn ring is suspended by four rubber bushings that degrade with age, allowing the weight of the airbag to inadvertently sound the horn under braking, eventually leading to the horn being on all the time.
I did some searching and found this thread, full of useful info, but no photos.
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...nsitivity.html
There are also posts mentioning clock springs/ steering wheel removal, etc, none of which was relevant to my problem.
Thanks to Tom M for this key part of information:
the part in question is (4 spoke frame with new rubber =~ $50 @ www.porscheoemparts.com P/N 99334708801)
I'd give this a difficulty scale of one beer out of a possible six, one being easiest.
You'll need a T27 torx wrench/ screwdriver and a 19mm socket. Do this at your own risk, follow the service manual for airbag disabling instructions, etc.
Step 1- turn the wheel about 45* from center so you can access the two airbag bolts, loosen the two bolts from the airbag with the T27 wrench:
Name:  hornbutton1.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  73.2 KB
Step 2- after following all the recommended procedures for disabling your airbag, unplug the yellow connector on the back of the airbag:
Name:  hornbutton2.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  73.6 KB
Step 3-unplug the horn ground connection at the 9'oclock position on the plate, remove the 4 19mm bolts.
Name:  hornbutton3.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  102.8 KB
here you can see the failure item, the rubber bushings rot and prevent the trim plate from 'floating' and keeping the connections separated-
Name:  hornbutton4.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  74.0 KB
Name:  hornbutton5.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  86.0 KB
this is how the horn button connections look:
Name:  hornbutton6.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  69.0 KB
the new part is revised with slightly more material.
Name:  hornbutton7.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  90.4 KB
Step 4- insert your torx bolts for the airbag into the steering wheel recesses and push the plate over the torx bolts and finger tighten the 19mm bolts and snug them up with a socket:
Name:  hornbutton8.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  71.8 KB
Step 5- I like to reassure myself that there is no juice in the airbag wiring before plugging the airbag in, so I use a test light to short the connection, plug the bag back in, and retighten the airbag bolts.
Name:  hornbutton9.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  101.0 KB
have a cold one, you're finished!

Old 11-19-2013, 04:29 AM
bobbyg is infamous around these parts
link problem

Hi guys, and thanks to soreshoulder :-)

I tried to click on the site provided to buy the part but it's taking me to some mob selling steel and garage doors and the likes. The address however is still the porscheoem's link.

Any help please? Thanks and cheers.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Hurdigurdiman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bobbyg
Hi guys, and thanks to soreshoulder :-)

I tried to click on the site provided to buy the part but it's taking me to some mob selling steel and garage doors and the likes. The address however is still the porscheoem's link.

Any help please? Thanks and cheers.

try this http://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/pa...?siteid=215796

I had to put my car year in there but you can piut yours instead. Its a 4 spoke wheel but mine is a 3 spoke. If that's the same part I don't know/. But it's a start. Click on 'steering column' second from the bottom of the parts list when you get to the page.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
try this http://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/pa...?siteid=215796

I had to put my car year in there but you can piut yours instead. Its a 4 spoke wheel but mine is a 3 spoke. If that's the same part I don't know/. But it's a start. Click on 'steering column' second from the bottom of the parts list when you get to the page.
Thanks very much for a quick reply mate, I try this site :-).

Cheers.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:05 PM
no luck

Originally Posted by bobbyg
Thanks very much for a quick reply mate, I try this site :-).

Cheers.
Unluckily I tried the site which looks very comprehensive but they do not ship to Australia :-(

Old 11-22-2013, 09:18 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
bobbyg we ship to Australia, not sure if your looking for more parts other then the frame. If you already know the part number you can just plug that in (without any dashes) or put in your vehicle and search that way. To view our site and the retaining frame Click Here