996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Notchy 3rd gear. hard to get into first. electric motor sound.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Falcon7x is infamous around these parts
Notchy 3rd gear. hard to get into first. electric motor sound.

I first noticed 3rd gear always feels like it needs lube. Then one day i got in car, pressed clutch pedal tried to get in 1st and could not. I released the stick a little and heard an electric motor sound.

Any ideas?

How i shift:

clutch down
Enter 1st
Slow clutch up
Friction zone beginning
gas down slow and progressive while...
clutch up continue
Rolling. Gas only.

3000rpm
Clutch down fast and gas off fast
2000rpm
Enter 2nd

Repeat for next gear

Downshift:

2000rpm
Clutch down fast and gas off
Blip throttle fast up to what sounds right for a 1000rpm increase
3000 rpm(hopefully)
Enter lower gear
Clutch up progressively but quick

Maybe i do video. Want to make sure im not hurting anything. I shift at 7000 too. Hit rev limiter a couple times. Engine does not scream near redline. Sounds same at 6k and 5k. Just louder. Used to cars that sound in pain near redline.

Last edited by Falcon7x; 12-14-2012 at 05:01 AM. Reason: More clarity. Pedal=clutch now.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:49 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
How old is your clutch?

Aftermarket shifter on it? Cables adjusted correctly?

Any signs of leaks by your master or slave cylinder?

You check your hydraulic fluid level?

Is it temperature dependent?

Old 12-13-2012, 08:04 PM
I'll have to check on all those details and let you know. As for temp. Not sure. You mean weather or engine temp?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by alpine003
How old is your clutch?

Aftermarket shifter on it? Cables adjusted correctly?

Any signs of leaks by your master or slave cylinder?

You check your hydraulic fluid level?

Is it temperature dependent?

Old 12-13-2012, 11:17 PM
BB987 is infamous around these parts
i have trouble getting into 2nd gear when the engine is cold...after about a couple of shifts, then it is ok...not sure what's causing it..

Old 12-14-2012, 04:56 AM
Old oil?

When you say cold, what temperature we talking? What do you warm up to before pulling off?

Also for both of us, I wonder what the state of our oil is? I know on my faster vehicles, shifting feel deteriorates with oil quality. It even goes as far as to eventually lead to very noticeable shifting issues. Hard to get in gear for example. Fresh oil fixes that right away.

I think I'll do an oil change even if it might not help. Oil changes are good for the soul!

Originally Posted by BB987
i have trouble getting into 2nd gear when the engine is cold...after about a couple of shifts, then it is ok...not sure what's causing it..

Old 12-14-2012, 06:17 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
When putting the car in first try this....clutch shift to second then first then go. I always go second to first when at a dead stop.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:33 AM
I appreciate the suggestion but it sounds like a hack for a person with synchro issues. You are not suggesting this to be a normal technique are you?

While we are on topic of potential transmission issues, what is the worst thing you can do to your manual transmission. I'm talking in terms of an unskilled person making "common" shifting errors.

*Spending 2-2.5 seconds in the friction zone every-time you pull off from stop
*Letting RPMs drop 500-800RPMs too much when upshifting.
*Downshifting but not blipping enough such that wheels pull engine speed up about 500 RPMs when you engage clutch
*Pushing the clutch pedal down only 97-98% of the way when shifting

NOTE: My thinking is that I'm considering that my shifting mistakes could have damaged something. I'm decent at shifting, I think I only get "smooth" shifts half the time. 5-10% of the time my shifts are pretty rough but almost never enough to spill a 3/4 full cup of coffee(I'm guessing).

I also realize, the car could just be slightly off as well. I once had a vehicle that was hard to get in certain gears. I cleaned out a certain shift mechanism which had a series of bearings in a small shaft. AMAZING! Shifting was butter smooth after. Also, adjusted the cables as well.

Originally Posted by FLA996TT
When putting the car in first try this....clutch shift to second then first then go. I always go second to first when at a dead stop.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:00 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Falcon7x
I appreciate the suggestion but it sounds like a hack for a person with synchro issues. You are not suggesting this to be a normal technique are you?

While we are on topic of potential transmission issues, what is the worst thing you can do to your manual transmission. I'm talking in terms of an unskilled person making "common" shifting errors.

*Spending 2-2.5 seconds in the friction zone every-time you pull off from stop
*Letting RPMs drop 500-800RPMs too much when upshifting.
*Downshifting but not blipping enough such that wheels pull engine speed up about 500 RPMs when you engage clutch
*Pushing the clutch pedal down only 97-98% of the way when shifting

NOTE: My thinking is that I'm considering that my shifting mistakes could have damaged something. I'm decent at shifting, I think I only get "smooth" shifts half the time. 5-10% of the time my shifts are pretty rough but almost never enough to spill a 3/4 full cup of coffee(I'm guessing).

I also realize, the car could just be slightly off as well. I once had a vehicle that was hard to get in certain gears. I cleaned out a certain shift mechanism which had a series of bearings in a small shaft. AMAZING! Shifting was butter smooth after. Also, adjusted the cables as well.
Well, I've been driving a manual for over 40 years and that is the way I was tought so I just keep it up, never had any issues.
The worst thing you can do when shifting, over rev the engine when down shifting because the rev limiter won't protect you.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:16 AM
WOW! I just heard that recently too! Makes sense. Rev limiters all cut fuel as far as I know. Fuel is not relevant when the wheels are the "fuel" that is pulling the engine along. You would need some kind of engine braking system or something that could pull the clutch out or prevent the gear from being entered.

Originally Posted by FLA996TT
The worst thing you can do when shifting, over rev the engine when down shifting because the rev limiter won't protect you.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:26 AM
BB987 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Falcon7x
When you say cold, what temperature we talking? What do you warm up to before pulling off?

Also for both of us, I wonder what the state of our oil is? I know on my faster vehicles, shifting feel deteriorates with oil quality. It even goes as far as to eventually lead to very noticeable shifting issues. Hard to get in gear for example. Fresh oil fixes that right away.

I think I'll do an oil change even if it might not help. Oil changes are good for the soul!
cold is when the temp gauge is all the way on the left side..i usually warm up about 30 seconds before i go..as for oil, mine was freshly changed not too long ago so i am not sure if that has any relevance with shifting..

Old 12-15-2012, 10:08 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
OP are you talking about transmission oil or engine oil?

Old 12-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
I'm old school like FLA996TT, meaning I usually will not skip downshifting from 3rd to 1st without first down shifting to 2nd. This is mostly done when coming to a red signal and everyone is slowing down or coming up to a posted stop sign. Unless you're on a track or autox I feel there is no need to skip 2nd gear. Now I will shift from 6th to 4th or 5th to 3rd but only if rpm's permit it.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:05 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Yep, the old Porsche trick- first in 2nd , then back to 1st gear - at the red light / stop sign, just works. It's a feature of the 996 gear box. Or, take your time on down shifting. The old syncros need some time to respond.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by alpine003
OP are you talking about transmission oil or engine oil?
Transmission

Old 07-02-2013, 07:12 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
It's funny how you get used to it. My syncros are not great - especially downshifting into second. If I rush it, it will grind. It almost never happens to me. I let a friend and 993 owner drive my car the other day and it made grinding noises a few times until he got used to it...