996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

question on installing new pedals

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 03:59 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
question on installing new pedals

I got my new aluminum porsche pedals with the rubber inserts from suncoast. When I went to install them they where bigger then the original and the rubber buttons push through around the edges because they are unsupported around the edge. I checked my friends pedals that were installed in his 997 and the same is true there. This means the buttons are completely useless around the edges. Am I installing this wrong?

Old 12-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Mine are the same way.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:49 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Doesn't that defeat the purpose?
Originally Posted by Dennis C
Mine are the same way.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
There is support in the center. I think it's a relatively minor issue...

Old 12-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Dstutler is infamous around these parts
This is the primary reason I went with the annotized ones with aluminum holes.....

Old 12-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I wish I would have done the same...

Originally Posted by Dstutler
This is the primary reason I went with the annotized ones with aluminum holes.....

Old 01-03-2013, 11:34 AM
FabianG is infamous around these parts
Correct, unsupported at the lower edges of gas and brake pedal. Aside from looks, I dont think it will be an issue since you aren't really engaging the pedals at that point.

I got the same set from Suncoast a few months back and finally had a chance to install them over the Holidays.

Any work under the steering wheel sucks, and this was no different. Dead Pedal and Gas Pedal are childs play. Clutch pedal is only slightly more difficult. The brake pedal was a @#(!@!@ to install.

While the others are all plastic, the brake pedal is rightfully metal, and it feels like bank vault hardened steel <g> There was not much room to work and it was not effective to block off the brake pedal with a block of wood as the instructions state.

What worked best for me was to be seated in the drivers seat, push down on the brake pedal and then then use both hands to steady the drill.

Rather then do all 3 bolt holes at once, do one or two, and then compensate for the 3rd. The bolts are long and if you drilled at anything other than the optimal angle, the bolts wont line up quite right.

They do look really good, and feel good too.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Thanks....did your Brake and Clutch also have some unsopported areas since they are bigger than OEM?
Originally Posted by FabianG
Correct, unsupported at the lower edges of gas and brake pedal. Aside from looks, I dont think it will be an issue since you aren't really engaging the pedals at that point.

I got the same set from Suncoast a few months back and finally had a chance to install them over the Holidays.

Any work under the steering wheel sucks, and this was no different. Dead Pedal and Gas Pedal are childs play. Clutch pedal is only slightly more difficult. The brake pedal was a @#(!@!@ to install.

While the others are all plastic, the brake pedal is rightfully metal, and it feels like bank vault hardened steel <g> There was not much room to work and it was not effective to block off the brake pedal with a block of wood as the instructions state.

What worked best for me was to be seated in the drivers seat, push down on the brake pedal and then then use both hands to steady the drill.

Rather then do all 3 bolt holes at once, do one or two, and then compensate for the 3rd. The bolts are long and if you drilled at anything other than the optimal angle, the bolts wont line up quite right.

They do look really good, and feel good too.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:02 AM
FabianG is infamous around these parts
Correct, the Brake and Clutch do have some unsupported area. The gas pedal does as well actually.

The instructions that Suncoast provides are pretty good, but they assume that the installer will apply some judgement of their own, and don't go into intimate detail on install steps.

The pedal covers are a good bit larger than the cars pedals without the OE rubber covers. What you will see is that correct placement is constrained by the AL pedal cover bolt holes and the available surface area of the cars pedals, as well as the pedals plastic support structure on the backside. This is especially true for the dead pedal. I found it easier to remove it from the car and do the work on the bench.

To determine where to drill, cover the pedal face in a light colored masking tape, and feel the backside of the pedal for extra material. You dont want to drill into that additional support, and you need to account for space for the nut that secure the bolt.

Play around with placement and then mark the holes for drilling. Do 2 and then do a test fit before doing the 3rd, you'll probably have to change the position of the last hole slightly.

It was very handy to use the front facing camera on my smartphone to see what the heck was going on as I held the nuts and washer on the backside. A mirror will do as well<g>

As I'm writing this I see why Suncoast didn't get into too much gory detail, it can over-complicate it.

Scroll to the end of this Picasa album for installed pics

Old 01-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Thanks Fabian, this has been super helpful. I will be taking your advice on this one. Cheers.

Originally Posted by FabianG
Correct, the Brake and Clutch do have some unsupported area. The gas pedal does as well actually.

The instructions that Suncoast provides are pretty good, but they assume that the installer will apply some judgement of their own, and don't go into intimate detail on install steps.

The pedal covers are a good bit larger than the cars pedals without the OE rubber covers. What you will see is that correct placement is constrained by the AL pedal cover bolt holes and the available surface area of the cars pedals, as well as the pedals plastic support structure on the backside. This is especially true for the dead pedal. I found it easier to remove it from the car and do the work on the bench.

To determine where to drill, cover the pedal face in a light colored masking tape, and feel the backside of the pedal for extra material. You dont want to drill into that additional support, and you need to account for space for the nut that secure the bolt.

Play around with placement and then mark the holes for drilling. Do 2 and then do a test fit before doing the 3rd, you'll probably have to change the position of the last hole slightly.

It was very handy to use the front facing camera on my smartphone to see what the heck was going on as I held the nuts and washer on the backside. A mirror will do as well<g>

As I'm writing this I see why Suncoast didn't get into too much gory detail, it can over-complicate it.

Scroll to the end of this Picasa album for installed pics