996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Auto vs Manual

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 09:00 AM
ronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud of
Nothing against tips, but manual preferred. Good luck.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:17 AM
invius is infamous around these parts
6 Speed, if for no other reason than the Tip's seem to shift really early. These cars are great between 3-6k RPM, however from the people I've talked to with Tip's, unless you are jumping on it, or driving it in manual mode, it will shift well before that range. To me, that makes you miss out on the best part of the power range. Further, lower costs, more desirable on this model, etc.

Cheers,

DS

Old 01-01-2013, 10:21 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
Driving a manual transmission is more engaging. You clearly can see a degree of pride in drivers that still know how to use a manual (a recent car jacking in Seattle was prevented when the young culprits got in the car, realized it was a manual transmission and had no idea how to drive it -- took off on foot). That said, a number of drivers don't drive a manual transmission well and rack up costs in clutch and transmission repair.

If you're going to drive a lot in traffic, have a spouse who doesn't drive a manual but would expect to drive your car, or you just don't find manuals all that engaging and just enjoy drives on the freeway or scenic drives in the country -- the automatic makes a lot of sense. Yes -- they sell for less. But that also means that your acquisition costs are less and you have a broader audience to sell to when you're done with the car.

Personally, I prefer a manual transmission in a Porsche. Yet, I'm a lot more concerned about buying a used car with a manual as most drivers I've seen don't drive them well (putting excessive wear on synchro's & clutch than necessary). So, I'm paying more to buy it and may also pay more down the road to repair the damage/wear they've caused.

Think about the type of driving you want to do and who might be driving the car -- and just pick the one that fits your situation.

Good luck.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
It's funny to think about how many younger drivers can't drive a car with a manual transmission. I bought each of my sons a car with a manual transmission. They are both proficient at driving a manual transmission, and they actually prefer it to an automatic transmission. It really teaches a young driver how to drive. It forces them to think about which gear is selected for a given situation. It makes them think about downshifting and braking in a different way than an automatic driver. I'm glad I taught them how to drive a manual.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:18 AM
kromdom is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
Think about the type of driving you want to do and who might be driving the car -- and just pick the one that fits your situation.

Good luck.

Best advice IMHO.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:36 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
Arkplan - there is a lot of misinformation in this thread, partially due to people defending their own choices and partilly due to ignorance. As some have said, make the decision based on your own circumstances. If you test drive an automatic, try it in manual mode as many do when not stuck in traffic. I've owned many manual cars (not Porsches) in my life and they're no longer very practical where I live. I find manual mode to be a reasonably good alternative. If I lived in a less crowded area I would prefer a 6-speed.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:02 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
I have both. The manual is more fun on my 996TT, but the Auto tip is better for chillin' in my 996 Carrera daily driver, and will save you mucho bucks if wanting to buy a Porsche. I have had my manual shifter cable snap off my shifter on the manual and left me stranded, so upgrade that ASAP....It is cheap plastic. The auto has not had any issues. It shifts how it should IMHO. If your putting around it shifts fast, but romp on it, and it shifts at the high end of the RPM range, or use the tip and shift when you want. If I had to choose, I would go with the manual though because it is more like driving and very fun on the track. If your sitting in traffic all day, get an auto and save money.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:54 PM
rvCarrera is infamous around these parts
Manual - for two reasons: resale and drivability. I've been with Porsche since 2001 and, due to a lack of demand, Tiptronics accounted for less than 10% of all 911 coupes ordered in '02. When we have a Tip offered to us as an exchange, a Tip will bring in 20%+ less than the same car in a manual. Tough to find enthusiasts wanting an auto 911. Now PDK.... that's a different story.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Maybe the owners on here can comment. My impression, based on instrumented tests over the years, was that the Tiptronic automatic had a big performance deficit vs. the manual in the n/a 911s. Was the 5-speed automatic 997TT the differentiator? Or well before that?

Old 03-11-2013, 06:48 PM
That's correct - not until Porsche introduced Tiptronic S in the 997 TTs did we see an advantage over a manual. And in a Turbo S, the Tip S was the quikest and most efficient way to put the power to the ground. Previously, the standard Tip option was, by no means, a performance enhancer. More of a convenience option.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:05 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
I think the price issue is somewhat suspect. Looking at Kelly Blue Book's site, my car with and without a Tip comes in at the same price. So if there is a difference, no way it's 20%.

Get used to automatics. Manual transmissions are going the way of the Dodo bird.
In fact, you can't order a GT3 with manual transmission.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:56 PM
GOB
GOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud of
I believe that RF5BPilot is dead on. It all depends on how you plan to use it and who is going to use it. I used to have a 99 C2 6 speed and loved it, but on occasion, as would be now, the wife had to drive it. She knows how to drive a 3 pedal car, but prefers the auto tranny. A lot of traffic would make you lean towards a Tip. 90% of cars sold locally are Tips. Do I prefer a manual? Yes! Does it sometimes become a chore? Yes! I am waiting on a PPI result for a C4S Tip and no issues with it. Wife loved it. All I gotta say!

Old 03-12-2013, 12:12 AM
There's nothing suspect about a Tip's lack of value or demand- I've been selling Porsches exclusively for over a dozen years and there is no mistaking the lack of value or demand a tip may bring- Kelly may say different - truth is Kelly has never bought a car nor will they pay you what they claim it's worth. If you want a tip - excellent and enjoy! But when one asks what may be more beneficial financially in the end, it's a manual.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:15 AM
And believe me - I love and prefer a PDK over a manual- but a PDK is no Tiptronic!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:30 AM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rvCarrera
There's nothing suspect about a Tip's lack of value or demand- I've been selling Porsches exclusively for over a dozen years and there is no mistaking the lack of value or demand a tip may bring- Kelly may say different - truth is Kelly has never bought a car nor will they pay you what they claim it's worth. If you want a tip - excellent and enjoy! But when one asks what may be more beneficial financially in the end, it's a manual.

Sooo Your saying buy the one that costs the most?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.