996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Aftermarket front bumpers - Pros/Cons!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 08:25 AM
vicj is infamous around these parts
Aftermarket front bumpers - Pros/Cons!?

I recently had the misfortune of having someone smash my front bumper while it was parked on a parking lot (and of course fled the scene) and am in need of replacing it. Any opinions on the quality of some of the aftermarket bumpers would be appreciated. I am interested in the VIS Racing bumper but don't know how these parts stack up against OEM quality. Not that I expect it to be the same as OEM (in terms of quality) but if I decide to go with aftermarket, I just want to know that the quality is good enough!

This is the style bumper I am looking at.

Any opinions (pros/cons) from those who have installed other than OEM bumpers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 01-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I think your best bet is a polyurethane bumper as opposed to a fiberglass bumper. Find a good installer and you should be set!

I considered upgrading mine a while ago, but decided against it. It's hard to make the car look right without replacing the front and rear bumper.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 AM
C4inDFW is infamous around these parts
Hey vicj, i recently had a similar deal, tho was hit by a drunk. I called a bunch of high-end places around the Dallas area, and most of them are very weary of using aftermarket products. The price of the products is one thing, but to get them to look OEM is another. Nearly all of them said its a lot of work to get them to look "right", and by the time they're done, it would have cost the same to go OEM bcuz of the fit.

I will update my post once a decision has been made on my car. Depending on how bad yours looks now, you can scope out places for a while to see if you can get an OEM upgrade (ebay, c-list, etc.)...and i see you're in MD, so am unsure whether you'll be hibernating for the winter.

This insight is based on the last 30 days of experience only. I also got a couple prices from vendors on here for OEM options for front bumpers to compare.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
If the aftermarket bumper is trademarked "Duraflex" you shouldn't have a problem. A friend of mine recently replaced the front bumper to his 997 with a Duraflex bumper. Good quality.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:37 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
If you are going to do it go with a good one like Duraflex, Misha, or TechArt. Fit and finish is important, a well made one will fit right into place with no modifications, some mfg's claims don't live up to this.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:40 AM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
look into a gt3 oem bumper

Old 01-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Saibot is infamous around these parts
Fyi I had some problems with the duraflex GT2 replica bumper. Fit wasn't as good as some people are describing.

On top of that, my wheel liner doesn't fit properly so there's a pretty significant gap between the bumper and wheel liner

Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Saibot
Fyi I had some problems with the duraflex GT2 replica bumper. Fit wasn't as good as some people are describing.

On top of that, my wheel liner doesn't fit properly so there's a pretty significant gap between the bumper and wheel liner

Like I said, it's all about fit and finish.. OEM would work well but some of the aftermarkets just don't fit well. I got a front lip and tail from an after market seller, and the tail was not as described and the turbo lip is really garbage, came all warped so I can't get anyone to install it because they don't want to be liable, and I can't blame them.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 PM
nnsixx is infamous around these parts
I would keep oem bumper as long as possible simply because I doubt it easy to match the quality ofcyour factory paint job.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:17 AM
C4inDFW is infamous around these parts
For what its worth, im replacing my base OEM front bumper w an OEM Aero front and adding sideskirts. Everyone i know has told me that was the best decision i could have made...sticking w OEM. Obviously, its about twice the cost, but were driving P cars and i feel strongly that both i and my car deserve the best. Plus, my kids think its "the bomb"... Whatever the hell that means:-)

Old 02-09-2013, 02:31 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nnsixx
I would keep oem bumper as long as possible simply because I doubt it easy to match the quality ofcyour factory paint job.
If it's damaged, it needs paint anyway.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
We sell a variety of front bumpers for your car. Let me know if you are interested in any of them.

https://sites.google.com/site/precis...6-nb-c2-c4-gt3

Old 04-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
It's difficult to match the paint on a polyurethane bumper exactly to the paint on the metal. As a result, most body shops will "panel paint" the bumper only without blending the color into the fenders. I had my rear bumper cover replaced and painted in this way, and it looks great without changing my factory paint on the metal.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:39 AM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Ruf body kit is pretty cool looking. Fit is perfect.

-td

Old 04-10-2013, 08:44 PM
tarzancoe is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by himself
Ruf body kit is pretty cool looking. Fit is perfect.

-td
Is ruf fiberglass or poly?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket front bumpers - Pros/Cons!?