996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

removing a seat stain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 12:35 AM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
removing a seat stain

got my car back from the dealer as previously posted.

i just realized there is a small 0.5" stain on my driver seat right by where my right thigh would be. i know they did a lot of touch up when fixing my rattle, and may have use various glue or adhesive as well.

the stain is definitely not colored, but shinny. i tried using ethyl alcohol first and then using soap, none worked. any suggestion on what to use to remove this stain? i bet it's some kind of adhesive.

thanks.

Old 07-09-2005, 12:47 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
what color are the seats? if not black, b very careful what you use may stain the seats too. start with a leather cleaner. try a little goo gone in a hidden place first and then see if shine spot can be removed. if all else fails, apply leather conditioner to see if you can hide it

Old 07-09-2005, 01:28 AM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
forgot to mention that the seat is black. the stain is almost a line that is 3mm wide and 1cm long. can't really tell the color since the seat is black. it maybe black or even see through. again, looks like adhesive, or even paint. that's why i used nail polish remover which removes most paint-like stuff. thanks.

Old 07-09-2005, 08:02 AM
aben8057 is infamous around these parts
I have found goo gone (citric based) to be the best adhesive remover, then finish it off with leather treatment.

Be careful with the alcohol you may do more damage.

Old 07-09-2005, 11:24 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Nail polish remover? Oh man, be careful what you put on the seats. Don't keep pushing your luck. Call the dealer to see what the spot could have been if goo gone doesn't work. Once you know what it is, you'll have a better chance to removing it.

Old 07-09-2005, 03:44 PM
thanks.

where can i get goo gone?? and what type of leather protectant do you recommend.

Old 07-09-2005, 04:17 PM
schnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant future
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser - I'm not kidding. I used it on my alcantara and black leather in both cars, and it works like a charm. It's a big time interior detailing secret - cleans everything without chemicals. Follow the directions, and lightly scrub the spot.

Old 07-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Yeah,I've heard about the eraser, try that first since it's gentle. Goo gone is avail at grocery store, home depot, kmart etc. Look for these from the cleaning section.

Old 07-09-2005, 04:35 PM
thanks, leaving now to get them.

Old 07-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Hurry back we're not going to wait all day you know......

Old 07-09-2005, 05:31 PM
fdb996c2 is infamous around these partsfdb996c2 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by trovan
forgot to mention that the seat is black. the stain is almost a line that is 3mm wide and 1cm long. can't really tell the color since the seat is black. it maybe black or even see through. again, looks like adhesive, or even paint. that's why i used nail polish remover which removes most paint-like stuff. thanks.
Hmmm. Sounds like pecker tracks.

Old 07-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Eli at P
Hurry back we're not going to wait all day you know......
no, mr clean did not work..... i couldn't find goo gone, was going to go out to get it, but now need to pack for my trip. my first wedding anniversary. i better leave the porsche alone at least for this weekend.

by the way, here is a car loan to me from a local BMW dealer which i will use for the trip!!

Last edited by trovan; 11-06-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:20 PM
never drive a 12 cylinder before.... pretty amazing. but not sure about all the ACS add ons!

Last edited by trovan; 11-06-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:13 AM
schnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant future
That 750 should be great for a road trip. Can you take a picture of the spot on the leather? The Eraser should take out anything...

Edit - after re-reading your post, it sounds like it might be a clear epoxy or glue, which has hardened by now. In that case, you might need some sort of thinner, but I'd hesitate to use that on dyed leather. Can you just insist the dealer fix the stain?

Old 07-10-2005, 12:51 AM
i think you are right that it is some kind of paint like stain. dealer did tell me to drop by for them to look at it. i will need to find a time to do that as they are far away, especially on one of the worst freeway (405).

but in reality, it is so small and only visible because it's shinny. i will try goo gone, and maybe a small amount of paint thinner...........

thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: removing a seat stain