996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

LED Tail lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 03:46 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
Yes,it will be cheaper. The only problem i see you having is matching the center strip with the LED taillights. I highly doubt it will be the same color.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:20 PM
creekman is infamous around these parts
L.E.D. Tail Lights for the 996 - Wide Body...

Originally Posted by JSavinoJr
Yes,it will be cheaper. The only problem i see you having is matching the center strip with the LED taillights. I highly doubt it will be the same color.
Good point, I'm wondering if any of the C2 owners have any comments on the after market color matching the center strip on their tail lights? I'm guessing if it's not too far off no one would notice. I've read all the posts on the different LED tail lights and so far I haven't heard a peep about color...

Old 02-15-2013, 06:07 PM
ZABUCH is infamous around these parts
Creekman,were did you purchase tail lights

Old 02-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Zabuch... Sorry, I'm just waiting for my set of tail lights for my wide body, I hope Slider pulls this off sooner than later. He's taking on a big job, I hope it turns out well for all of us.

If you have a 2C car then there seems to be a lot of options out there for LED lights. Check out the various forums for info...

Old 02-15-2013, 06:41 PM
Slider, I'm not sure if you're offering a choice between the 996, both red/clear and red/yellow lights, or the 997 lights that I assume fit our 996 sheet metal.

I guess if I had a choice, I like the simplicity of the 997 red/clear.

Anyway thanks for doing this...

Old 02-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Anyone kno anything about flasher relay that work with the led tails lights to stop the hiper flash

Old 02-25-2013, 02:41 PM
LED Hyper Flash...

Originally Posted by ZABUCH
Anyone kno anything about flasher relay that work with the led tails lights to stop the hiper flash
Zabuch, I think if you do a search on this site, the RennTech site or the Rennlist site you'll find your answer. I "think" I've read where some LED tail lights were wired up wrong and had that problem. The LED lights are polarity sensitive. Look carefully at the wires to see if there's a code for the correct hook up before you mess with the relay.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:51 PM
acelucas is infamous around these parts
The LED taillights have one wire that has polarity. This will cause a fuse to blow if put in wrong. Most people don't hook this wire up because it's basically a side marker light in the tail light. It does have a white strip on it but your stock wires don't have a matching strip. Basically hook each side up to your car a different way and when a fuse blows you will know which one is right since there is a fuse for each side of your car. Which ever side of your car fuse blew take out the tail light and flip the plug, then replace fuse and you are good to go.

Now this will not fix the hyper flashing. This can either be fixed by adding resistors or using a new flasher. My tail lights had resistors built in so it was just plug and play and then figure out the fuse situation. Search Rennlist and you should find the flasher solution.

I've been running these tail lights for a few weeks and they work great and look better.

New speakers this weekend and a Fister exhaust next week.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:41 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
I'm kind of torn between the Dectanes and the other (Ebay) tails. In pictures I've seen, the Dectane-style lights seem to be a little on the orange side and the cheaper lights seem to be a deeper shade of red. I'm not sure if it's just the photos or there is a real difference in color. Can anyone who has seen both lights in-person please comment?

Old 03-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by wyovino
I'm kind of torn between the Dectanes and the other (Ebay) tails. In pictures I've seen, the Dectane-style lights seem to be a little on the orange side and the cheaper lights seem to be a deeper shade of red. I'm not sure if it's just the photos or there is a real difference in color. Can anyone who has seen both lights in-person please comment?
yes they look more like stock the ones on ebay, I have on my car I will try and up load some pics

Old 03-10-2013, 09:36 PM
carcster88 is infamous around these parts
These are my tinted ones I got from Redline I think on Amazon. Have been working perfect ever since. They did have extra connections I did not use due to possible fuse issues. Can't remember the connections though. Mine are smoke.

Attached Images