996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

New member: from BMW to Porsche? New to me 996 GT3 clone (PICS)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Redshift is infamous around these parts
New member: from BMW to Porsche? New to me 996 GT3 clone (PICS)

Hi all - long time BMW owner here (2 E36 M3, including one full race prep), M5, 330 convertible, and 540 sport wagon among them. Just picked up my first Porsche. It's a 2002 996 with almost no options. 79K on the odo, excellent condition on the body with lots of track goodies. Engine just refreshed by Jake Raby at Flat 6. Car runs strong and handles well. My wife (fellow track instructor) loves it as does my 4 year old daughter. After a 5 year track hiatus, we plan to get back to it soon.

I'm sort of a DIYer and have my own shop here at home with a lift, so I plan to learn the car well and maintain her myself, but coming from BMW, everything is so different, so I'm just beginning to learn. Besides the fresh engine, it has H&R coilovers, cup car swaybars, RSS adjustable control arms, an OEM GT3 wing, an OEM GT2 front fascia and side skirts, new clutch, ECM tune, Magnaflow muffler, litronic, OEM GT3 wheels with PS2 tires (almost brand new), and a new battery. I plan to add a radar detector hardwire, phone charger and cradle, either bluetooth or aux in, fresh mats, and maybe window tint. Otherwise it should be ready to go.

Below are some photos of my cars and motorcycles for you gearheads. Don't yell at me -I like BMW too

These are from before it was finished...

Attached Images              
Old 02-28-2013, 10:14 PM
Crabman141 is infamous around these parts
Congrats on your new purchase !! I'm a huge fan of that garage though

Old 03-01-2013, 05:11 AM
jhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of light
P car looks great. I like the stance. Othr cars look good to. And the garage is kicka$$.

Congrats

Old 03-01-2013, 06:11 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Nice, welcome. Since the engine was done by Flat 6 stock up on DT40

Old 03-01-2013, 06:26 AM
Originally Posted by FLA996TT
Nice, welcome. Since the engine was done by Flat 6 stock up on DT40
So I hear

Old 03-01-2013, 07:30 AM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Hey... I saw a car that looked identical to that with 73K for Sale in the Seattle Area about 1.5 years ago....Does it have history in Seattle area...If so I almost bought it. Its an awesome car. COngrats.
Love the Garage....what kind of lift is that....is it bolted to the roof as well.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by lowpue
Hey... I saw a car that looked identical to that with 73K for Sale in the Seattle Area about 1.5 years ago....Does it have history in Seattle area...If so I almost bought it. Its an awesome car. COngrats.
Love the Garage....what kind of lift is that....is it bolted to the roof as well.
Yes indeed, it did come from the Seattle area. I will be getting it up on the lift this weekend for an inspection.

It's a Challenger VS-10. Not bolted to the ceiling - just the floor. The cross-bar above serves two purposes: 1) carries hydraulic fluid to the other side so that there is no hump to drive over between the posts and 2) safety shut off sensor bar.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Banned
Dan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond repute
Nice Ride, Congrats!!! thats a C4S/Turbo Front Bumper and GT3/Aero II Sides not GT2.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:50 AM
Right, that's what I meant. The original ad stated GT2, but it's a turbo.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 AM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
Car looks great & lift at home + cabinets has me thinking my recycled "Youngstown Steel Kitchen" units need to go.

Nice touch that the lift paint color and cabinets match.....very nice!

Old 03-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Thanks. Hard to tell in the pics due to scale but the counter height is 42" for a comfortable standing work height and the top of the upper cabs is 10.5' off the ground. I also did the uppers in 16" depth versus 12" as you would find in a kitchen for added storage capacity. The double sink has hot and cold water for parts washing capability as well as a sprayer and there are undercab lights and seating areas for soldering or other "careful" work.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Sleek996 is infamous around these parts
Nice car, you are going to love it...Welcome and congrats!!

Old 03-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Freier is infamous around these parts
nice purchase, and great collection. How do you like the BMW RR, been thinking about picking one up. Enjoy the new pcar!

Old 03-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Stone_05 is infamous around these parts
Nice pick up and love the BMW's as well. I came from BMWs also. Were you on the M5Board as "Redshift"? I want to say I remember you on there. I was "Stone///M5". When I picked up my C4S it had the GT3 wheels. They still look outstanding when I see them. I went to 19's but I still haven't sold mine. May put them back on at some point. Your car looks really good!

Oh yeah....loving the garage! I really need a lift!

Old 03-03-2013, 08:35 AM
nitrosobmw is infamous around these parts
Welcome, great car, can u elaborate more on the magnaflow exhaust please, pics of the exhaust would be great and part numbers also, thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New member: from BMW to Porsche? New to me 996 GT3 clone (PICS)