996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

What will be needed on a high mileage C4S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by s14roller
I'm thinking about picking up a 2002 C4S with 70K miles and using it as a daily. So far, the car has been well maintained, so I'm just curious what might I expect to need to replace as it gets to say, 120K miles+ (outside of normal wear and tear items like brakes, etc).

Will this end up being a good idea?

Thanks!
You received a lot of responses and most would have you rebuilding the car.

I say that's just crazy. If the car needed that kind of work at 70K miles what would it need in another 70K miles, or even 35K miles?

Buy a good well maintained car. Do not over pay for it.

Drive the car and keep the car serviced and enjoy the car.

Chances are nothing serious will go wrong with the car. If you want to as a preventative measure do the IMSB that's your call.

But if something does go wrong fix it.

My 02 Boxster needed nothing but a wheel bearing from 0 miles to 80K miles.

If I had listened to all that said I had to replace this at 40K, that at 50K, those at 45K miles I would have spent two fortunes on the car. As it is I have put over 265K miles on the car and while things have worn out there are a lot of original pieces still doing their job. 3 wheel bearings (the 4th one replaced at 80K miles), clutch, engine, radiators, hoses, A/C system, starter, alternator, secondary air pump, e-Gas pedal and throttle body, coils.

I've worn out door latches, window regulators, brake light and clutch interlock switches, rear trunk struts, a couple of batteries, water pump, fuel pump and the biggie was a VarioCam solenoid/actuator.

My 03 Turbo which has the same AWD as the 4S is on its original front diff, half shaft CV bearings, CV boots (the Boxster's lasted for over 200K miles). The techs tell me the AWD system is very robust. Be sure the car has not been fitted with a goofy setup of mismatched tires/wheels though.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I just reported on things that have broken and have been repaired or replaced. I think the C4S is a very reliable car and a robust design. However, things wear out and things break. My car has always been driven on recommended tire sizes and my differential wore out. It can happen.