996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Oil pan/blcok cracked? leak photos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2013 | 02:31 PM
|
DiegoR is infamous around these parts
Oil pan/blcok cracked? leak photos

Hello,

I'm looking to buy this Carrera from 98 with 49k kms on the clock. When I lifted the car found one rear shock leaking and the oil pan section with oil all over the place. After further inspection I noticed that some mechanic in the past used some kind of JB weld to avoid the leak of oil. I'm not sure if the alu block is slightly cracked but oil pan seems to be either new or free of cracks (maybe the previous owner hit something on the road and replaced the oil pan and glued the block??) or just has ben refurbished back the oil pan profesionally which I doubt.

Is this kind of common problem in these cars? Is there any solution besides tearing apart the engine to "weld back" the alu block if that could be the case?

Thanks,

You can see that the bolt is "locked" in that position by the bond arround it.

Attached Images    
Old 04-17-2013 | 04:32 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
These cars are low to the ground to start with. Bottoming one out is quite easy with speed bumps or careless owners. I'd get a PPI before you drop your hard earned money on something that may cost you later.

Old 04-17-2013 | 04:52 PM
feroz928 is infamous around these parts
I cracked and replaced two oil pans in a period of two months, both from speed bumps

Old 04-17-2013 | 04:55 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
how good of a deal are you getting on the car to even consider this? The damage/repair you see here can tell you what kind of care and maintanance was taken with the car and that would scare me more than anything else. Good luck with your purchase and don't just settle on any "good deal", it might not be the best buy.

Old 04-17-2013 | 05:16 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
At the very least you want to remove the oil pan and see if it is cracked and if there is a crack in the block itself.

Old 04-17-2013 | 07:29 PM
|
Thanks for the responses. It's in good price range, besides there aren't many of these 996 arround here (imported) so the market is very small, pretty much for any Porsche model except the newer models that are getting more common due the better economic situation going on here right now.

It needs paint overall due the some dents and paint scratches, but it looks good overall except this oil leak and one rear left shock "oiled" or blown.

Unbolting the oil pan while it's not my car, it's going a major task, I would think I can take the risk.

But if the worst happen, block slightly cracked, there is any way I can fix that w/o tearing down the engine in parts to weld back the crankcase zone to avoid the leak?

Thanks

Old 04-18-2013 | 08:01 AM
white out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to behold
It looks like a sloppy homemade gasket for the oil pan. Bring a rag and brake cleaner with you next time you see the car and wipe down the block to see if there is any damage or if it's just messy.

Old 04-18-2013 | 08:48 AM
dennish is infamous around these parts
Removing the oil pan is easy. Just make sure you clean very good and use the correct sealant- Dreibond(sp) or Loctite 5900 when putting back. It doesn't use a gasket. Also correct torque.

Last edited by dennish; 04-18-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-18-2013 | 08:55 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
IMO, unless your getting it for next to nothing I would consider passing, I do understand how hard it is to find one there but you need to wonder what else was not fixed correctly.
Yes, it sounds like the rear shock is blown, and as mentioned, it looks like a sloppy JB Weld job. I would calculate the asking price and add in how much it will cost to repair all the things that need to be done (paint,shock etc..) and look for a car in that range.

This is, of course, my opinion.

Old 04-18-2013 | 08:58 AM
Banned
Dan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond repute
Thats why the First thing i did when i bought my car was this http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...y_Code=996main

Old 04-18-2013 | 09:15 AM
|
I will try to bring the car to my shop, leçiuft the car, clean the area, remove the bond, dry the surface, take it for a spin, and lift again the car and see from where exactly is coming th eoil if there is no evidence at first look of any crack on the block/oil pan. Then I will have to decide about getting it or not.

Will report later if I can make this happen.

Thanks!

PS: For paint and other stuff is not major thing for me as I do run a body/paint shop as well.