996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How good is a 996 Carrera 2 (2000-2003)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
When I started looking for my Porsche I didn't know squat about them. Still don't, except I know repairs/replacements are quite expensive. My '99 C2 didn't come with a bunch of documentation. It was clean and serviced when I first saw it. Drove like a charm with 128,000 miles on it. After a year and a half of ownership, it just turned 140,000 miles. In the time I've had it the oil/filt has been changed 5 times. Overkill, maybe, but it's cheap insurance. (If you call $100 a pop cheap) Many owners say they don't drive their's that much but I say drive it like today's going to be the last day you do. I would rather drive a 14 yr old car 150k miles and have RMS/IMS failure than to have driven it 30k miles and have the same failure. If you're going to buy it, drive it. I almost died in 2005 (had my Z06 with only 10k miles on it) and I remember being told as I was recovering "If you don't drive it, someone else will" and I certainly enjoy driving both now.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Natrby is infamous around these parts
AMEN Brother!!!!

Old 04-24-2013, 01:36 AM
BestInTheWorld is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Pors-Vette
When I started looking for my Porsche I didn't know squat about them. Still don't, except I know repairs/replacements are quite expensive. My '99 C2 didn't come with a bunch of documentation. It was clean and serviced when I first saw it. Drove like a charm with 128,000 miles on it. After a year and a half of ownership, it just turned 140,000 miles. In the time I've had it the oil/filt has been changed 5 times. Overkill, maybe, but it's cheap insurance. (If you call $100 a pop cheap) Many owners say they don't drive their's that much but I say drive it like today's going to be the last day you do. I would rather drive a 14 yr old car 150k miles and have RMS/IMS failure than to have driven it 30k miles and have the same failure. If you're going to buy it, drive it. I almost died in 2005 (had my Z06 with only 10k miles on it) and I remember being told as I was recovering "If you don't drive it, someone else will" and I certainly enjoy driving both now.

Well, I'm glad you are alive, and you are lucky to own a Z06--I love C6 hardtop Corvettes!

I have been reading some old thread on Rennlist forums, and they say the engine failure/IMS problem of a 996 Turbo and/or NA 996 911's, only occur BEFORE reaching the 50,000 miles mark. Some users said if you find a 996 911 that has higher than 50,000 miles, this problem shouldn't be an issue any more and you can buy in total confidence.

Why? Because the engine either has been repaired/replaced, IF a serious issue did occur before reaching 50K-- and if not, the likelihood is near zero if the odometer reads over 50K miles. Some said if a 996 911 has under 50,000 miles, be more wary, as a serious problem will very likely occur.

Do frequent oil changes help prevent or prolong the efficiency and life of a Porsche 911's engine/parts?? (E.g. Kind of like brushing AND flossing teeth, as opposed to ONLY brushing your teeth)

I'd rather do more small maintenance things constantly, if this at all helps to avoid any major problems, which can end up being super expensive.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
You know, I don't know if frequent oil changes will prolong the effiency and life of the engine but it certainly won't hurt. I do the service myself so I save on labor costs.

I've read on this forum posts about higher mileage 996's, that if you haven't experienced IMS/RMS failure by 50k miles chances are you're likely not to have them. Can't say for sure if that's true. To me, if it's going to break, it's going to break. I can see where being proactive and having the repair done before it happens is probably the best thing to do.

I do the normal service on my car myself. Anything that I know I can't handle I'll take it to a shop.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:54 AM
Originally Posted by Pors-Vette
You know, I don't know if frequent oil changes will prolong the effiency and life of the engine but it certainly won't hurt. I do the service myself so I save on labor costs.

I've read on this forum posts about higher mileage 996's, that if you haven't experienced IMS/RMS failure by 50k miles chances are you're likely not to have them. Can't say for sure if that's true. To me, if it's going to break, it's going to break. I can see where being proactive and having the repair done before it happens is probably the best thing to do.

I do the normal service on my car myself. Anything that I know I can't handle I'll take it to a shop.
From what I gather, there are folks who recommend a high mileage 996 since these cars are meant to be driven and not garage queened, and there are others who say a low mileage one is the way to go.

Since these cars can last well over 150,000 miles (close to 200K), would a higher mileage car-- say a 80,000 miles or more 911, be a good buy, since it's been driven regularly and can likely last another 80,000??

Old 04-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Stefandk is infamous around these parts
Buy one with a rebuild engine from Porsche, then you can sleep a night.
Thats's what I did...

Regards
Stefan
Denmark

Old 04-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld
From what I gather, there are folks who recommend a high mileage 996 since these cars are meant to be driven and not garage queened, and there are others who say a low mileage one is the way to go.

Since these cars can last well over 150,000 miles (close to 200K), would a higher mileage car-- say a 80,000 miles or more 911, be a good buy, since it's been driven regularly and can likely last another 80,000??
I couldn't tell you if it would be a good buy. You're going to have to weigh in other aspects of the car as well. I bought my C2 with 128k miles and now have a bit over 140k.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Benni is infamous around these parts
+1 to what others have said. I have a '99 C2 owned for ~2 years and LOVE it! I paid ~$22k, it had 57k on the odo and hadn't seen much recent maintenance. I've had a few small problems, coolant expansion tank, AOS, and the passenger side seat belt buckle receptacle (airbag light) but considering it's a 14 year old car it's been extremely reliable.
I had the IMS/RMS replaced for peace of mind when the clutch needed replacement, but I think the issue is overblown. The keys to my decision were a solid PPI from a trusted indy mechanic, service history which I found from the local Porsche dealer, and insurance rates. It's actually cheaper for me to insure than my DD G35!

When you do pull the trigger you won't believe the reaction people have. Most would never believe you paid $20+change for a 911. Non-Porsche people (Normies ) can't tell a 993 from a 991

Old 04-25-2013, 02:40 PM
I find that my 00 C2 highly pisses people off it being Red and me retired from Wrestling(WCW NWA WWE)What a combo,These high school kids passed me in a Saturn and the look on their faces was priceless.Seems everyone wants to race,and forget about driving it to Church you really get the look then when its offering time lol

Old 04-26-2013, 01:37 AM
Originally Posted by Natrby
I find that my 00 C2 highly pisses people off it being Red and me retired from Wrestling(WCW NWA WWE)What a combo,These high school kids passed me in a Saturn and the look on their faces was priceless.Seems everyone wants to race,and forget about driving it to Church you really get the look then when its offering time lol

I am a WWE fan, but are you Ric Flair by any chance? That would be the coolest thing ever, to be able to talk to a pro wrestler and Hall Of Famer on a car forum, of all places lol

Regarding buying a brand new engine from Porsche, do I just call them up and specially order one or how do I go abouts to doing this?

Old 04-26-2013, 04:02 AM
No I would be Nature Boy Buddy Landel I love Ric and he just lost his son,but he would never appreciate a Porsche.,hes 64 and paying 4 ex-wives 30 grand a month in alimony.I told him it was cheaper to keepher lol

Old 04-26-2013, 04:55 PM
wmiranda is infamous around these parts
Paid 15k for a 2000 c2 with 88k miles... Looked like it had just rolled out of the dealership. I did preemptive maintenance with the IMS... New clutch... Seals etc. ran me 3k for that then dumped a stereo not it (JL, alpine, etc)... Still happy with her.

Bill

Old 04-26-2013, 09:27 PM
GRGx3 is infamous around these parts
I have 47,000 miles on my 2002 C2 Cab, I replaced an alternator so far. I have not had any problems with it. Keep it on a battery tender if you are not going to drive it, it will chew through a battery in about three weeks if not driven.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:00 AM
wmiranda would you say preemptive measures like buying a new clutch, doing the IMS and RMS thing once buying a 911 is a good way to avoid running into a major problem, and thus becoming a major expense?

I know almost all vehicles that have 6 speed manuals, are normally less expensive than their automatic and semi-auto counterparts, like the tiptronic/paddle shifters. In the long run, which will be cheaper to own/repair since clutches can be expensive--and isn't manual trannys more difficult to fix/check then an automatic?

Originally Posted by Natrby
No I would be Nature Boy Buddy Landel I love Ric and he just lost his son,but he would never appreciate a Porsche.,hes 64 and paying 4 ex-wives 30 grand a month in alimony.I told him it was cheaper to keepher lol

Damn, that's so cool you know him though. I feel bad for not knowing who you were, lol. Grew up watching WWF and WCW back in 98 and loved it. I remember seeing a WWE Confidential episode where Ric Flair, HHH, and Batista drive flashy exotics like a Ferrari Enzo, so I guess he wouldn't appreciate a Porsche. I can picture him in a fancy car like a Lambo or Ferrari or Bugatti

Old 04-27-2013, 06:27 AM
Actually hes so broke from bad investments he drives a dodge....not that theres anything wrong with that lol..you can google his financial woes...sad. Ps.I was the first guy to wrestle Bill Goldberg june98 Dalton Ga. WCW

Last edited by Natrby; 04-27-2013 at 06:33 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How good is a 996 Carrera 2 (2000-2003)?