996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

K&N question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Kjc227 is a jewel in the roughKjc227 is a jewel in the roughKjc227 is a jewel in the roughKjc227 is a jewel in the rough
K&N question.

Can someone give me some pro's and con's on having a k&n? I have a 2004 c4s
The car came with it. My questions are, are their any benefits with out having a tune on the car? I'm having issues when it rains, other mods are an exhaust.
Any info would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Old 04-22-2013, 04:26 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
Everyone has their opinion on this thing. I have had it for a long time. Didn't notice any performance change,Maybe a hint of sound change. It fried my MAF,changed the filter to an AEM dry filter. I think you're better off with a performance filter in the stock airbox.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Porshlvr is infamous around these parts
Yah the only thing about changing filters is the convenience of not having to buy a new one when you can clean the K&N or AEM. IMO the dry flow is the best option since Porsche MAF sensors don't like oil from the filter on them.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Kjc227 is a jewel in the roughKjc227 is a jewel in the roughKjc227 is a jewel in the roughKjc227 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the info fellows, keep them coming.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 PM
west coast is infamous around these parts
I have one, it is a stock replacement style I don't believe that they really add much in performance whether they are a kit type or stock replacement, maybe a bit of sound difference. The problem people have with the MAF is when they clean and re-oil the filter they use too much oil and that will cause an issue, use care and this will not happen, mine has been fine, never a problem. If you do have a problem the MAF can be cleaned and that should resolve things.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:02 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
I've been useing one for a year now along with a silicone air intake hose, no problems. Does it increase power? Who knows, but when you give it throttle you can actually hear the air being sucked in, that's cool!
As mentioned, the MAF usually goes because the filter is over oiled or oiled on both sides, you should only oil the intake side.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Along with K&N, we also carry Pipercross Air Filters that you might be interested in if you want to stick with the stock filter. Airborn dirt particles quickly clog conventional paper or cotton-gauze style filters, resulting in a pressure drop that robs the engine of air flow and power. Thanks to deep foam construction, Pipercross filters offer a drastically higher dirt-carrying capacity, allowing air to flow at high rates even after many miles of use - a claim that conventional filters cannot make.

Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Sorry fellows shoulda mention it's one of these.

Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
K&N Intake on my C2S triggered visit Workshop CEL

Originally Posted by Kjc227
Sorry fellows shoulda mention it's one of these.
I put a Decklid with Hydraulic Wing from a Turbo onto my wife's 2005 997.1 C2S and needed to change from the stock airbox to an aftermarket intake in order to make space for the wing hydraulic rams to come down on the sides of the engine compartment and also to allow space for the centrally mounted engine bay fan of the turbo deck lid (non-turbo is offset to the side a bit).

Put on the brand new K&N kit just like that in the photo (with factory pre-oiled new filter) and almost immediately got a check engine / visit workshop message. Used durametric pro to clear the error and it said something like MAF sensor before intake or some strange positional message. Drove it this way for about a month and the check engine light never turned off by itself and always came back soon after I cleared it with Durametric.

Last night I removed the whole K&N intake, used MAF cleaner to spray the MAF sensor wire off (which I had also done before installing the K&N), and replaced it with an EVOMS one and today the check engine light turned off by itself on the first trip. I have K&N intakes on a number of my other vehicles without any issues, but this did not seem to work well on this C2S. One of the deficiencies of the K&N kit is that all the pipes that you have to clamp down on are plastic - with the EVOMS kit the pipe from the filter to the throttle body is metal and only the airbox surround is plastic, which is a much higher quality design so that you can get the clamps good and tight for no air entry that doesn't pass by the MAF.

Returned the K&N to Advance Auto today for a full refund and am sticking with the EVOMS and a non-warning light dash. I also have a Fabspeed Carbon Fiber Competition Air Intake on my RUF Supercharged 997.1 C2S and that one doesn't throw any codes either - just this K&N one.

Just my 2 cents.

Pete

Old 05-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Yeah took it off. Back to stock it went. Going up for sale as soon as I can upload pics

Old 05-09-2013, 07:18 PM
phantom works is infamous around these parts
I've been running the K&N CAI for a year without any issues or check engine light.
I wrapped the filter inside and out with newspaper and let that soak up the excess filter oil overnight.
If you have the MAF installed backwards (which you can do) it will cause issues also.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:16 AM
It doesn't help that I have a misha wing. So when it rains the water pours right into the filter which is not healthy for the engine.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:16 AM
Crabman141 is infamous around these parts
That was probably a good call then.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:47 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
phantom, interesting point about installing the MAF backwards - since it's not "keyed" and is symmetrical, that's surely a possibility. Should the side with the sensor wire face to the front, back, Driver side, or Passenger Side (there are obviously only 2 options, I just don't recall the orientation of the wire to the screw holes and the intake). Thanks.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:11 AM
phantom works is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Petza914
phantom, interesting point about installing the MAF backwards - since it's not "keyed" and is symmetrical, that's surely a possibility. Should the side with the sensor wire face to the front, back, Driver side, or Passenger Side (there are obviously only 2 options, I just don't recall the orientation of the wire to the screw holes and the intake). Thanks.
The wire element of the MAF sensor needs to face the air flow coming into the intake, because of the changing of the location with the new K&N tube you also need to flip the connector inside the boot. It's all explained in the install directions.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K&N question.