996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

2001 996 Cab - Updates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 01:39 PM
kraelo has a spectacular aura aboutkraelo has a spectacular aura aboutkraelo has a spectacular aura about
2001 996 Cab - Updates

When I first picked up my car, it came from Mannheim auction. Had a cut top, dead battery, dents in the hood, scratches on rear fender, cracked rear wheel, non working navigation system, low on coolant.

First thing I did was charge battery, never had a problem since. Added some coolant and never had a problem since.

Yesterday I picked up my car from Kirmac after a new top was installed.

Pictures are below.

I also finished installing the double din stereo (budget basic) and added the cubby down below.

I removed the PCM1 and navigation drive.

I had some dents removed in the front hood, some of the interior dyed.

Next my detailer is going to cut the paint and reseal it. To remove all the swirls and misc scratches.

I'll include more pictures as I go on.

Hoping to revive this baby back to her original beauty.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0428.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	384.8 KB
ID:	249527   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0429.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	378.0 KB
ID:	249528   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0430.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	424.6 KB
ID:	249529  
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2013, 01:47 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
The top turned out great !! Glad to see your bringing the cab back to life Keep up the great work.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:50 PM
kraelo has a spectacular aura aboutkraelo has a spectacular aura aboutkraelo has a spectacular aura about
Thanks boss! Hoping to get her back to tip top shape and in a year or so, then move on to a newer model.

I have never driven such a beautiful car in my entire life. I have owned almost 111 cars since I was 12. Not buying and selling to make money, but trading out of boredom.

This Porsche has kept my attention every day. I haven't purchased any m/t's before because I have a bad clutch knee from HS. Yet this Porsche is very forgiving and extremely comfortable to drive. Never made my knee hurt once, even in traffic.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
It looks like you are heading in the right direction Now that's a lot of cars .....

Old 06-07-2013, 01:42 PM
I was going to order a brake switch from you guys but your shipping with USPS is half the price of the item?

$!6 for genuine and almost $9 shipping... Can we work on that and I'll order, otherwise I need to order from my local autozone.

Thanks

Old 06-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Oh btw, since this is my update thread. My brakes lights flicker on and offer, depending on how hard or soft I am on the pedal.

But It's ok, I rarely use the brakes anyways

Old 06-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Finally received my used (new to me) door subs and enclosures I ordered off ebay ($39.99+shipping).

I will be installing them either tonight or tomorrow.

Here is an example video of what it takes to remove the door panel.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:06 PM
So they parked a trailer in front of our town house because they are installing new windows and informed me I needed to park across the street.

So instead I did this...I could almost make it under neath, guess I need lowering kit

Name:	966599_10151598183227239_307840811_o.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	250127   Click image for larger version

Name:	980590_10151598183047239_2004758723_o.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	250129  
Old 06-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Former Vendor
How did the install go over the weekend ? From the pictures it looks like you can almost fit

Old 06-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Install on the speakers were stalled due to .... excessive amount of lake swimming and sun tanning.

Finally put my top down today, even though they said to wait 2 weeks... I put it down after 1. ( I like to live dangerously )

I did order the brake switch from AutoZone, it was $12 and free delivery since I have a commercial account with them, sorry ECS. But I am browsing your site for future purchases.

I also drove a 2005 Dodge Viper this morning and I was not impressed. I'd rather drive my cab..

Any other updates? Hmm, I still smell oil from the engine, it's a super tiny drip from the valve covers or a leaking O-ring. I've put over 1k miles on it in the last 2-3 weeks and haven't had to add any oil. "crosses fingers".

Major engine noise from sound system after I blew out my door speakers. So I definitely need to change those soon.

Closing on a house around the 28th and might wait until then (because I'll finally have a garage) to change the speakers. We shall see...

Old 06-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Parkcity911 is infamous around these parts
Great job! How much did your new top cost? Thanks.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:50 PM
$2800, but I only paid $50 through Geico.

**On a seperate note, I am noticing some chatter from the flywheel area. I don't know if it's transmission gear chatter or flywheel chatter.

We used to have a 1999 porsche cab just like mine, and the rear main bearing was oval'ing in the block and it created a chatter like that.

Does that make sense to anyone?

I'm worried of having to replace an engine too soon ......

Old 06-12-2013, 10:31 PM
So as you can see, I originally had a navigation system. I had them change out the top to a double din and I replaced the bottom portion with a cubby.

I decided I didn't like that look and had them change out my double din for a single din with same features.

My question is this ... what do I need to change to put my cubby and cupholders in the top part (factory support bracket?).

I tried googling and I can't find a definitive answer.

Thanks guys

P.S. had them change out my door speakers and so far, works great and no engine noise.

Woohoo

Name:	newstereo1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	251746   Click image for larger version

Name:	newstereo2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	251747   Click image for larger version

Name:	newstereo3.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	251748  
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2013, 01:09 PM
So I ordered this carriage below, and I pray it works ...

Guess we'll find out when it shows up.

Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2013, 03:43 PM
Just ordered the cupholders. I already have the cubby box for them.

Also just put the car up for sale.

Thinking I want a newer year or tiptronic trans so the wife can drive it.

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2001 996 Cab - Updates