996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Auto dimming mirror swap...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 12:48 PM
Banned by Moderators
SANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura about
Auto dimming mirror swap...

Can you just change from Manual Dimming to an Auto Dimming mirror by running power to the mirror or is there more to it i.e. different type of mount. Any info is apreciated.

Old 11-01-2003, 02:41 PM
Orient Express is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

I did this swap earlier this year on my 02 C2 cab. I had an extra autodim mirror from my wife's Audi allroad, and it turns out it is the same one that is used by Porsche.

The mirror is different from the stock manual mirror, so you have to replace it, but there is an upgrade kit from Porsche for about $200, or you can get one on ebay. Mirrors from Porsche (P/N 000 044 801 46), audi, and VW are all the same. They are OEMd from a company called Mito. These mirrors are also available from ads in R&T, and Autoweek. If you don't get the Porsche mirror kit, then you need to get the wiring harness from Porsche. The P/N for that cable is 996 612 986 00 and costs about $10.

Installation consists of replacing the mirror (they twist on and off the windshield), running the cable berhind the windshield frame padding, and down to the relay block (which is above the fuse block). Two wires get hooked to relay blocks 11 & 28, and a 3rd wire goes down to the reverse gear signal lead that is on the control box harness under the drivers seat. Unfortunately to get to this little wire, you have to remove the seat. The whole thing is pretty easy, if you are a DIY type. Plan on about 90 minutes to get the job done.

Old 11-01-2003, 05:53 PM
Tool Pants is infamous around these parts
Different mirror but there is a retrofit kit. Jeff

Old 11-04-2003, 03:39 PM
absame is infamous around these parts
There is a thread in renntech.org that goes through this in detail. You can follow the porsche way as mentioned above, or you can just connect the mirror power leads to any switched power source. Getting to the relay board is a bit of a pain. The connection under the seat is to that the mirror will "un-dim" when you shift into reverse. It will work without this connection, but without this function. Removing the seat is simple with the correct torx socket. Suppose if you already have a V1 hacked in and can live without the reverse feature, you could be done in 10 minutes!

Old 11-04-2003, 11:07 PM
ZX7R is infamous around these parts
Gert at http://www.carnewal-europe.com also sells these mirrors complete, for 150 Euro's