996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Enclosed Carrier transport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 06:36 AM
fmanley2 is infamous around these parts
Enclosed Carrier transport

I am looking for input as to your experience with enclosed carrier transport. I need to transport a 2002 911 C4 Cab from San Francisco to Austin Texas. As any of you know who may have investigated this matter, I naively entered my information into an online carrier clearing house a few weeks ago, and I received, for WEEKS, MANY MANY emails, text messages, and phone calls from all manner of cats and dogs offering to move my car for me.

I now know that I need to go directly to specific carriers to avoid this treatment again. I have contacted InterCity Lines (Leno uses them) as well as Reliable Carriers, Inc. based in Minnesota. The current quotes are for $1495.00 and $1648.00 respectively.

Does anyone have any moving experience, and do these prices seem exorbitant, or are they in line with what you have seen?

Thanks for the info!
Fred

Old 02-15-2014, 07:22 AM
jsm996 is infamous around these parts
I was looking into the same thing when I purchased my car in TX and needed it delivered to GA. In regards to enclosed, Intercity appears to be the best throughout all the car forums. At the end of the day, I felt it was too expensive for a $16k 996. I ended up using DAS and upgraded to the upper/top trailer option. The cost was half, $600 vs $1200.

I paid for door to door service, but was able to check out the car at the local holding/distribution center. Other than being filthy dirty, the car looked fine. I struck up a conversation with the lot attendant and he wound up washing the car prior to delivery at no charge.

As DAS are brokers, they can't really give you any real time updates as far as the vehicle location. For the price, I would use them again. I would rate my experience as "good" to "very good".

Last edited by jsm996; 02-15-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:17 AM
LIS
LIS is infamous around these parts
I used Plycar to transport my GT3 from Houston to Virginia last spring, and it ran ~$1300. They were really easy to deal with- even had GPS tracking for the truck. Car arrived early, and in perfect condition.

-Larry

Old 02-15-2014, 08:36 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
My only experience is with Dependable Auto Shippers. I won't ever use them again. They move the vehicle in an out of trucks multiple times. The car on the truck above mine leaked oil onto my C4S and they scratched the paint trying to get it off. Too much drama for me.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:32 AM
SMKaz is infamous around these parts
We use Plycar to transport our vehicles- Ferrari, Aston and Porsche from NYC area to Florida. They are very reliable and reasonable.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:37 AM
dgmccall996 is infamous around these parts
I had excellent service from Door to Door transport. Just had a 2005 C4S delivered enclosed from LA to Indianapolis, they got it here in 3 days. Very fast and they were the cheapest that I found.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:09 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
i used uship to find a carrier to take my car from san antonio, tx to long beach, ca. I didnt go covered just because it was twice the price but either way uship had the lowest prices and they were insured.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:44 PM
bal
bal is infamous around these parts
We used Dependable Auto Shippers several years ago. One vehicle shipped was a brand new VW Touareg. When it was delivered, it had mud all of the interior and scratches. I would not use them again.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:17 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
Make sure to remove everything from the car. I had a delivery company steal the manuals and second key from a car I flew to view and purchase. (hence I knew had those parts before)

Old 02-21-2014, 11:19 AM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
I used Reliable to transport a 1966 Corvette from Houston, TX to CA (just outside San Francisco). The price was comparable to what you were quoted. No problems with their service and I was kept up-to-date as to how far away the transport was to delivery.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:12 PM
TAZ40JAHRE is infamous around these parts
Good experience twice

In the past 2 years I've had my 911 40th Anniversary and my Panamera Turbo both shipped in covered transport with good results. For the 911 I used Mr. Car Shipper, who subbed it out to Luxury Auto Transport out of Chicago. Cost was $1,150 plus a 3% "admin" fee. My car was on the lower tier and covered and didn't move off of the truck from it's origin in Vero Beach, FL to my home in St Louis, MO. It took about a week to get to me but that was in part due to the Memorial Day holiday, otherwise it would have been to me sooner. The PTT was shipped by Montway Auto Carriers, also out of Chicago. Cost was $1,000 from Las Vegas, NV to St. Louis, MO. Car left LV on Friday evening and arrived STL Monday morning. Here are a few pics if you're interested.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3809.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	337923   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1568.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	337924   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1571.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	337925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1576.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	337926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Nov 01, 4 42 35 PM (1).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	681.7 KB
ID:	337927  

Old 02-26-2014, 01:53 AM
mikes_996 is infamous around these parts
I just sold my car last may and it went from S.F. to new owner in Texas. We shipped in an enclosed carrier and I believe it was about $1350 and took about 3 days to get to Texas. Buyer was happy with the car. I'd have to look through the paperwork to find out the exact details. It was pretty easy for me. I dropped the car at the shippers (near airport SFO) we both went over the car to detail any damages and it shipped out next day.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:30 PM
Ruagatr is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up Exotic Car Transport.com

Just shipped my bro in laws 991 from Rochester to Orlando. First class, 1257 bucks, and great service. Exoticcartransport.com

Old 03-01-2014, 05:21 AM
fmanley2 is infamous around these parts
Door to Door Transport… NEVER...

I researched 10-15 transport companies to move my 2002 911 C4 Cab from San Francisco to Austin. I learned the difference between a carrier and a broker (carrier- desired- uses own trucks, you get the same driver all the way, you know who you are working with… broker simply farms out the job to someone else, you lose contact with the company to whom you paid your money, you lose accountability, etc).

I finally decided on Door to Door Transport, located in Florida. My coordinator, JR, assured me over and over that they are a carrier, they use their own trucks and drivers, don't trust brokers, on and on. I arranged for pickup, contacted the seller, and authorized my Amex card to Door to Door to make a two stage payment: $434.00 at pickup, and the balance of $900.00 at delivery.

Imagine my surprise when, less than one day later, I saw a charge to my Amex for the total amount. Then, before I could call Door to Door (JR) to discuss, I was contacted by Eugene at SHIPPING EXPERTS, a COMPLETELY different company. I immediately phoned JR at Door to Door, who assured me he told me they did NOT have a truck in the area (after sending me an electronic quote specifically saying they would carry the car themselves), and would have to broker the job out. HE also insisted that there was never an agreement to to a two-step payment. JR - remember that name - executed a classic bait and switch scam with me, and I was left to either cancel the whole job, or simply work with the brokered carrier.

I will say that Shipping Experts did a really good job. They arrived on the promised date, their driver, Vlad, was VERY conscientious regarding his pre-trip inspection and post-trip walk around, and I was satisfied with them.

HOWEVER- I caution you to NEVER consider Door to Door as a potential carrier for your car. They may do a good job, but I will never know because JR utilized deceptive sales techniques to, I suppose, take the order. Very disappointed in the integrity of this individual, but I guess you learn something new every day.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:02 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Montway Auto Shipped my car last week they did broker it out, went smooth with no issues, driver spent 25mins on the precheck before going on the trailer.

Dealer to Dealer auto transport is who i would have used as they dont broker but we missed each others calls.

-W

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Enclosed Carrier transport