996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

OT: Behr Garage floor paint....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 02:53 AM
6spdcabsil is infamous around these parts
PRH, those tiles look great! I'm goin to order mine right away. How old are they in the pic?

Old 09-08-2005, 09:54 AM
CABRIO C4 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by PorschePRH [/i]
[B]For home use, you just can't beat the snap together tiles that float on the floor like Racedeck, or what I have, Motormat...

The paint job looks good, the tiles mats I like. Where can i get these mats?[

Last edited by CABRIO C4; 09-08-2005 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:14 AM
PorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to all
I got mine at www.MotorMat.com 3 years ago. The picture is very recent, so that's how old they are in the pic.

The other very popular one is www.racedeck.com.

I suggest asking for samples of the different styles and colors before making a big order.

I do a lot of work on my cars and other hobbies on this grarage floor and one thing I would not like is a raised texture on the tiles. Motormat has air/water holes, but nothing raised. Rackedeck has different models and most have some sort of raised pattern, which would make it difficult to roll things like creepy crawlers, chairs on wheels, etc. Also the texture would hurt while you are on your back or on a knee.

If you plan to jack up your car, you need to have some sort of thin boards that you can put down to protect the floor from being crushed by the huge pounds per square inch of a jack. I use 1/8" fiberboard cut into 1x3' pieces.

It doesn't take a very thick or strong board to spread out the load, but if you don't put something you will permanently dent the tile -- just like you can chip off thick paint coatings with too much concentrated force. Otherwise it is very hard to damage the tiles. You can put any chemicals you want on there and they stay undamaged.

And if you damage a tile, it's a 10 min process to replace it. Order a few extra.

One last thing: Color choice is hard, but what I found is that grey and yellow are the easiest colors to keep looking good. But all yellow or all gray doesn't look great, so I mixed them. At the time it matched the yellow Viper that I had, but it's ok with just about any car color. If you go with Black and White, or dark colors like Blue, expect a lot more cleaning to keep it looking good.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:29 AM
PorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to all
[QUOTE]Originally posted by s.bjorn.hoffman
[B]
Originally posted by PorschePRH
For home use, you just can't beat the snap together tiles that float on the floor like Racedeck, or what I have, Motormat...
QUOTE]

PorschePRH,

I love the look of your garage - ultra professional!

Now I´ll be looking for a similar solution for my garage, which is on the list for a make over.

If you go to www.racedeck.com, you will see garages that make mine look like a run down utility shed....

Old 09-08-2005, 02:03 PM
996garage is infamous around these parts996garage is infamous around these parts
When I moved into my home the previous owner had used the Behr garage floor coating. The paint started to lift from the hot tires in less than a year later. I can't be sure if he prepped the floor properly before using the coating though. It also looks like he only used one coating.

Old 09-08-2005, 03:18 PM
c4bliss is infamous around these partsc4bliss is infamous around these parts
I have finished the second coat and had two days to dry. It looks fantastic, solid finish, no bare spots or thin areas. My only concern is as been mentioned, using floor jacks ect on it. Time will tell of course.... either way, its down, and i get to live with it!

Old 09-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Alex13188 is infamous around these parts
Tile is also an option if your up to it i think it looks the best. I have it in my garage and it is great, easy to clean and just as durable as anything else. Although i must asmit that race deck does look good.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Alex13188; 09-09-2005 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:20 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Rather than floor paint, I think the 2-part epoxy coatings work much better as they actually bond to the concrete surface like any other epoxy. Paint is paint and doesn't actually have the bonding action that epoxy does.

Old 09-09-2005, 11:35 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
You are all bling now aint ya?!! Hey so what's been going on... drop in next week when we get back from the GAF and you'll have to go for a ride

Old 09-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by sharkster
You are all bling now aint ya?!! Hey so what's been going on... drop in next week when we get back from the GAF and you'll have to go for a ride
Blinging? no way, have to be diamond plate floor!

Be there next week for sure!

Old 09-11-2005, 12:22 PM
trozenhorse is infamous around these parts
there are very large thick rubber mats made of recycled tires....they are less expensive than the snap together tiles and definitely worth it...no matter what the paint will not last more than a couple of years and looks disastrous as it starts chipping.....good luck!

Old 09-11-2005, 11:54 PM
in order to preserve the floor coating as long as possible, i am now exploriing either large floor mats or the mat tiles suggested above as parking spots for the cars...

Old 09-13-2005, 07:56 AM
bavarian is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by mooty
i did my sister's garage for her. race deck floors. yes, painting the walls and ceiling was painful. i think i permanently damaged my rotator cuff....

race deck is easy but has one problem, if your garage get REALLY hot, the floor will bulge up a bit. once night comes along and temp cools down, floor flattens again. it does that every day in the garage.
If you leave a gap of about 1" all the way around the perimeter (including posts etc.) the floor will not buckle. I used racedeck, and am very pleased with the result. You have to mop every few months, and vacuum occasionally.

Attached Images