996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

OT: Behr Garage floor paint....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 11:41 AM
c4bliss is infamous around these partsc4bliss is infamous around these parts
OT: Behr Garage floor paint....

Yes, WAY OT.... but, i just finished with the etch/clean and first coat of my garage floor. After it has now dried for 24 hours, i can walk on it. I notice some thin spots in diff places. Two questions:

1. Has anyone here used this before?
2. Did you use two entire coats or just one?
3. What has your experience been?

I am debating a second coat right now and am going to head off to Home Depot to grab it.

Thanks!

Old 09-06-2005, 03:00 PM
CoreyNJ is infamous around these parts
Just ordered 5 gal of this stuff... What is the etch/clean part? Besides putting this stuff on with a roller, I have to use some special cleaner? I was just going to power wash....

Old 09-06-2005, 03:20 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
if you don't acid etch the floor, the paint will not stick and when you drive hot tires over it, paint will eventually peel.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by CoreyNJ
Just ordered 5 gal of this stuff... What is the etch/clean part? Besides putting this stuff on with a roller, I have to use some special cleaner? I was just going to power wash....
First you have to use the cleaner/degreaser and then the etch/rust remover. It bleaches and opens up the pores of the concrete to accept the primer.

After etch and all that, primer is applied (1.5 gallons for my garage (660 sq FT) and then the epoxy. Its time consuming, since the floor has to dry after etch and clean completely, then primer, wait for it to dry, then apply paint. Wait for THAT to dry, and then second coat.

Just finished second coat now, looks killer.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:27 PM
6spdcabsil is infamous around these parts
I used the same thing a year ago and it's peeling. I took a short cut and did not use the suggested primer. There's paint peeling from my tires and my bike's kickstand.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:55 PM
finished product (at least the floor)

Last edited by c4bliss; 02-07-2006 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:41 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
robert, that is *****in...

Old 09-06-2005, 09:49 PM
TY Mooty! ! I have a whole new found respect for house painters after just painting the garage walls,ceiling and floor!

Old 09-06-2005, 09:55 PM
PorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to all
For home use, you just can't beat the snap together tiles that float on the floor like Racedeck, or what I have, Motormat...

No prep work of the cement at all. No filling cracks, no powerwashing, no acid etching, no priming, no nothing. Just snape the tiles together and use a circular saw to trim the final tiles.

The floor is cooler in the summer, and warmer in the winter. And the plastic cushioning is a lot easier on your body for crawling around the car and, don't underestimate this point, it's a lot easier on things you drop or place on the floor (like tools, wheels, body parts, etc).

It's about $2.50/sqft which is cheaper than professional epoxy floor painting and it lasts longer, and it's easier to repair if it gets damaged. I clean it with a Hoover Floor Mate in about an hour every 6 months. The rest of the time, I use a Euro Sweeper to keep it looking good between major cleaning.

Plus you can pick it up and take it with you to your next house if you move. Try that with paint...

Last edited by PorschePRH; 09-06-2005 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:05 AM
s.bjorn.hoffman is infamous around these parts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PorschePRH
[B]For home use, you just can't beat the snap together tiles that float on the floor like Racedeck, or what I have, Motormat...
QUOTE]

PorschePRH,

I love the look of your garage - ultra professional!

Now I´ll be looking for a similar solution for my garage, which is on the list for a make over.

Old 09-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by PorschePRH

It's about $2.50/sqft which is cheaper than professional epoxy floor painting and it lasts longer,
Floor looks very nice, and i am sure it was easier then paint. But cost wise, mine being 660 sq ft. i spent $100 to do it exactly the way a pro would of done it... significant cost savings to $1300...

Old 09-07-2005, 06:33 PM
PorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to all
Originally posted by c4bliss
Floor looks very nice, and i am sure it was easier then paint. But cost wise, mine being 660 sq ft. i spent $100 to do it exactly the way a pro would of done it... significant cost savings to $1300...
Very true. And if the paint starts to lift off or get crappy, you can put down the tiles on top without having to remove the existing paint. So you would only loose $100 + some sweat (and a little excess lung tissue).

Old 09-07-2005, 09:22 PM
gr8330 is infamous around these parts
Re: OT: Behr Garage floor paint....

Originally posted by c4bliss
Yes, WAY OT.... but, i just finished with the etch/clean and first coat of my garage floor. After it has now dried for 24 hours, i can walk on it. I notice some thin spots in diff places. Two questions:

1. Has anyone here used this before?
2. Did you use two entire coats or just one?
3. What has your experience been?

Thanks!
I used it and it came up after 4 months. A rep at Behr sent out someone to inspect and they decided to pay him to remove it and also sent me a check for the material. Excellent customer service. I then put down U-Coat-It and it has been bullet proof. Sorry for the bad news but that is what I experienced. I hope your experience is better.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:25 PM
i did my sister's garage for her. race deck floors. yes, painting the walls and ceiling was painful. i think i permanently damaged my rotator cuff....

race deck is easy but has one problem, if your garage get REALLY hot, the floor will bulge up a bit. once night comes along and temp cools down, floor flattens again. it does that every day in the garage.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by mooty
i did my sister's garage for her. race deck floors. yes, painting the walls and ceiling was painful. i think i permanently damaged my rotator cuff....

race deck is easy but has one problem, if your garage get REALLY hot, the floor will bulge up a bit. once night comes along and temp cools down, floor flattens again. it does that every day in the garage.
Injured or not, you need to get back in there and fix it. Mine doesn't do this...You probably have the tiles too close to the wall so it doesn't have room to expand.

I have a raised baseboard around the bottom that lets the floor look good while giving it room to expand.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OT: Behr Garage floor paint....