996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

i pod nano

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 09:40 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Newport,
Thanks for the pics. It looks like the display on the kenwood is not as intuitive as the apple. How are the alpine or pioneer screens? The ipod menu is soooo easy to use. My wife took the dig camera. I will take a pic of the install I did.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:59 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Well....its the same as playing a CD....nothing more, nothing less...pretty simple.....It just also gives you a way to play playlists as well as individual songs. I have no probs with it....You plug it in, and it starts playing...its actually easier than the ipod.

Old 09-14-2005, 07:20 AM
RLandis is infamous around these parts
All these great ideas for IPOD integration, yet none without FM Modulation for MY'03 and forward. Still waiting for someone to "defeat" the MOST Buss.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:36 AM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
The best thing at this point is to defeat it yourself and yank that system......unfortunately. It seems the aftermarket community has embraced the ipod MUCH faster than the automakers...I never understood it though. Ever since I first saw the ipod I said, the car company that integrates one in their car will win big...to this day, no one truly has. Sure there are ways to it, and some are better than others, but why not have your system BASED on the ipod and its OS, as opposed to making some sort of half hearted attempt to making it work in the audio system by making the radio think its a CD changer. Imagine what the dealers can charge for ipod prep and actual ipods...

Old 09-14-2005, 01:23 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Good point Newport, I don't get it either. I'll bet apple would charge a fortune, and it would seriously hurt the cd and cd changer business. The other electronic companies would be against it for sure. Two sides to every idea.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:33 PM
RLandis is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by newport996
The best thing at this point is to defeat it yourself and yank that system......
The reason I haven't yanked it is I have a PCM II, and while it's not the state of the art in Nav systems, I get what I need from it. It also looks right in the car. That being said, I sure wish having either and IPOD, or XM Radio, without FM Mod.

Old 09-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Yeah I know...I have Nav as well though and probably better in every respect.....Also its Sirius ready, just buy the antenna and it plugs right in, also contrallable from the touchscreen....as well as playing DVD's.....And it looks pretty factory...no one thinks it's not....A buddy bought a C4S and asked what dealer he should take his car to to get my radio put in...he thought it was factory....

Old 09-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by neil.schneider
Good point Newport, I don't get it either. I'll bet apple would charge a fortune, and it would seriously hurt the cd and cd changer business. The other electronic companies would be against it for sure. Two sides to every idea.
Yeah when the ipod first came out...EVERYONE got one but me....I am a big Apple fan and in the music industry so everyone said, why dont you have one....simple. I spend too much time driving, and when I am not driving, I am in a studio or at home, so when would I listen to an iPod....as soon as I can have one in my car...then I'll buy it. So now I have one...I love it. I done have one CD in my car. The sound is as good or better than a CD...since its going digitally into the CD changer input directly from the ipod....its a BIG difference from FM modulators and from earphone jack cables. Yeah, when Apple links up with a Pioneer or Kenwood, or Alpine, and makes a music system centered around the ipod, and OEM's it to VW, BMW, Porsche, GM, etc....they will make a killing....AutoPod.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by newport996
Yeah when the ipod first came out...EVERYONE got one but me....I am a big Apple fan and in the music industry so everyone said, why dont you have one....simple. I spend too much time driving, and when I am not driving, I am in a studio or at home, so when would I listen to an iPod....as soon as I can have one in my car...then I'll buy it. So now I have one...I love it. I done have one CD in my car. The sound is as good or better than a CD...since its going digitally into the CD changer input directly from the ipod....its a BIG difference from FM modulators and from earphone jack cables. Yeah, when Apple links up with a Pioneer or Kenwood, or Alpine, and makes a music system centered around the ipod, and OEM's it to VW, BMW, Porsche, GM, etc....they will make a killing....AutoPod.

So newport,
Is there a better way to hook up the nano to the aux of my head unit? Presently I am using the earphone jack.

Old 09-14-2005, 11:34 PM
Check the Harmon Kardon iPlay I think it is and the Monster iDrive...The idea is to plug into the other port on the iPod instead of the headphone.....This may not give you control of the ipod from your radio, the harmon Kardon comes with a screen and a joystick type thingy to control the ipod.....

Old 09-15-2005, 08:33 AM
I think those solutions are to integrate to a spacific type radio. I would need one that goes from the apple input into RCA jacks. Don't know if that is even made.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:41 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I think those solutions are to integrate to a spacific type radio. I would need one that goes from the apple input into RCA jacks. Don't know if that is even made.
You mean iPod output into RCA jacks?

Last edited by wross996TT; 05-28-2006 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:55 AM
The Harmon Kardon uses a built in FM Modulator OR an aux output....so it gives you a line level out from the Apple ipod......

Old 09-15-2005, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by wross996TT
Thats not the ideal way to do it....you want to bypass the ipod headphone amp to get the cleanest sound.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by wross996TT
This is what I am using.
A google for the HK iplay found zip. Maybe it is not made anymore. The monster adaptor does not show aux outputs.
PITA. There isn't one on apple's site either.

Just called apple and they said there is no docking jack to RCA adapter.

Last edited by neil.schneider; 09-15-2005 at 12:38 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: i pod nano