996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Anybody on here still running a TPC supercharger?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 03:10 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
OK...SOMEONE WHO IS ON THIS BOARD WITH ONE TOLD ME EXACTLY THIS.....It does not produce the amount of HP that is claimed. It had more lag than a Turbo, boost was not available at low RPMS. When it finally kicked in, it bounced off the lowered rev limiter making it available only at high RPM's...They said it was about 5-6k RPM, redline is 6700? They said the ECU reprogram was a joke and it was not really matched for the SC, if it was done specifically for the SC, then maybe it would be better...Maybe its hearsay, but I have no reason to bad mouth EVO. I have nothing against them, but I WILL NOT put one on my car. I asked this person why I had never heard of any of these issues with others and they said, most people just dont speak up about it and when they do they are beat up on (like I am getting), but these issues are not rare. So, take that with a grain of salt, but maybe an email to others you KNOW have an EVO SC, will get you more info if they wont post here....

Old 09-21-2005, 04:43 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally posted by newport996
OK...SOMEONE WHO IS ON THIS BOARD WITH ONE TOLD ME EXACTLY THIS.....It does not produce the amount of HP that is claimed. It had more lag than a Turbo, boost was not available at low RPMS. When it finally kicked in, it bounced off the lowered rev limiter making it available only at high RPM's...They said it was about 5-6k RPM, redline is 6700? They said the ECU reprogram was a joke and it was not really matched for the SC, if it was done specifically for the SC, then maybe it would be better...Maybe its hearsay, but I have no reason to bad mouth EVO. I have nothing against them, but I WILL NOT put one on my car. I asked this person why I had never heard of any of these issues with others and they said, most people just dont speak up about it and when they do they are beat up on (like I am getting), but these issues are not rare. So, take that with a grain of salt, but maybe an email to others you KNOW have an EVO SC, will get you more info if they wont post here....

Sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about and get information from people who have no idea what they are talking about or have an axe to grind. I have an EVO SC on my 99 C2 and have no problems with it. Almost 50,000 hard miles on car. Drives like stock in all ways until you lite them up. The only problem I have heard (and it does not apply to me) is that it is not CARB certified yet in California. The power potential of this system far surpasses the TPC system. It's power bad is much more managable and comfortable, much like a NA engine. No lag, no heat problems, no oil usage and great support. I have yet to hear from anyone who has this system installed, complain about it's reliability or performance. It is always those that no the least about it that complain. The rev limiter is not 6700 as yoiu stated.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:42 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I think most oem are roots, roots spin at a lot less rpm's than a vortech type, that's why I suspect it might be more reliable, but who knows.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Newport, I hear what you are saying. I'm not bad mouthing anyone or any product, but I know what you mean. When people talk bad about a product they usually get flamed in return.

If I don't like a product that many people seem to like I just don't chime in. Like the saying goes I guess. If you have nothing good to say, don't say anything. It's a shame really. I enjoying getting together with people and hearing all the crap they don't like, but yet are afraid of the backlash if they posted their true feelings.

The EVO SC is cool. I enjoyed it, but it's time to move on for me. Would I do it all over again? Dunno, it's had it's share of problems, nothing big. The fact that it won't pass CA SMOG is a big issue to me. The reason I got the SC was to help out a shop and received and smoking deal on the kit and install.

Last edited by Itzkirb; 09-21-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:14 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Yeah, I know...someone asked about a product, I am just relaying the info I got from someone who had one and now I dont know what I am talking about....well to each his own. Take all the comments here with a grain of salt. Yeah, I like hearing ALL the details about a product...I would hate to experience problems and wonder why I never heard about them....Oh well....

Old 09-21-2005, 08:52 PM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
my996 is infamous around these parts
I for one am happy to hear any kind of comments - thanks for chiming in Newport. I might get a SC, I might not. I'd at least like to hear what other people have either directly experienced or heard about - then I can investigate the issue further if I like.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:25 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I don't understand the comment on the EVO setup building a lot of HP and TQ down low. If you look at the charts, the EVO clearly builds most of it's boost higher in the rev range. I haven't driven one yet, but I would suspect you'd be bouncing off the rev limiter pretty often in the lower gears with the current redline.

Kirby, other than the CARB issue, what kind of problems did you have with it and can you comment on how it builds power?

Old 09-21-2005, 10:29 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Ron: It's too bad I couldn't have made the Hershey event. My buddies wedding was just too close to the parade on the calendar. I would love to have gone for a ride in yours to check it out.

You mentioned you ran into a couple problems, but not with the SC itself. Could you elaborate on that? What are the things they tell you to do?

Also, from what I can tell, the TPC kit is just as complete as EVO's. I haven't found anything that EVO offers that TPC doesn't. Seems like the major difference is the type of supercharger and how the car is programmed.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:41 PM
RoverRon is infamous around these parts
EVO does seem to keep improving on their product. with TPC you need to make sure the car is warmed up good keeps MAS from burning out early. their system piggy backs oem so it can pass PA emission. SC tuck way back so you cant really see it.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:07 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Kirby, all in all was it worth it, and would you do it all over again?
Aside from CARB (a huge deal), what really turned you off on the blower?
I'd be interested in Robyin's opinion and why the hasty withdrawal fom the charger as well. It would benefit alot of guys who are on the fence about dumping 10-15k on a mod that may not be right for them. Give us some honest insight guys.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:41 AM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
dude, i hope you didn't think that about me because i honestly wanted the TRUTH. if you relay the message then i think it is your responsibility to get all the facts and present them. ya just gotta back things up.

Originally posted by newport996
Yeah, I know...someone asked about a product, I am just relaying the info I got from someone who had one and now I dont know what I am talking about....well to each his own. Take all the comments here with a grain of salt. Yeah, I like hearing ALL the details about a product...I would hate to experience problems and wonder why I never heard about them....Oh well....

Old 09-22-2005, 12:41 AM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
OK, MY honest insight....Not trying to slam anyone I think TPC and EVO are good companies.

Reason I got the SC, dirt cheap price and helping out a tuner.

When I first picked up the car and drove it I was like…is it working? Maybe not because the car didn’t feel fast, but maybe because I rode/drove modded turbo’s before hand or maybe cause my car is a tip.

Check Engine light keeps coming on. I just disconnect the battery and reset it. It’s a pain, but not the end of the world.

Water evaporates somehow? Every 2wks I have to fill the SC with water.

CA Smog is a big deal as most of you know. I can’t sell the car in CA legally.

Would I do it again? If I personally were to get a 997 or 997S I would not choose the SC route. If I had to pay full price for the SC I would not have done it (ok, call me cheap).

It’s a great kit, EVO has done their homework. It’s fairly solid and there are many places that can service it.

Am I happy with the Kit? Yes and No. I don’t hate it and I do think the power is decent, but it’s no where near a slightly modded Turbo.

If you have a NA 996 the SC is the only real way to get a lot of power. IF you choose to go the SC route EVO, IMO is probably the safest bet just due to the amount of kits out there and my experience. I have no experience with TPC so I cannot comment, but it sounds just as good from talking to a few people about their kits.

But, if I had to do it all over again I would probably go the Robyn route…get a used Turbo instead.

Love Me, Hate me, that is My Opinion...

Last edited by Itzkirb; 09-22-2005 at 12:47 AM.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:53 AM
c'mon kirby. youj ust wanted to help akkurat out? that was the only reason you got the SC ?

you and robyn have been beating the drum for the evo SC for a while now and all of a sudden there are problems? no offense, but i think you have done a great dis-service to the 6speed community. if you post all of the evo SCs positives then you equally have to post it's negatives.

actually people who have first hand experience with a product and bad mouth it don't get flamed. people who have no experience with a product and bad mouth it get flamed.

anywho, i can see why robyn is got the TT. hell if i was in the same position i would get the TT too!

with all the reported "problems", i am still gonna buy robyn's SC. oh actually, are you going to try to dissuade me? should i still buy it? hmmm.....

Originally posted by Itzkirb
Newport, I hear what you are saying. I'm not bad mouthing anyone or any product, but I know what you mean. When people talk bad about a product they usually get flamed in return.

If I don't like a product that many people seem to like I just don't chime in. Like the saying goes I guess. If you have nothing good to say, don't say anything. It's a shame really. I enjoying getting together with people and hearing all the crap they don't like, but yet are afraid of the backlash if they posted their true feelings.

The EVO SC is cool. I enjoyed it, but it's time to move on for me. Would I do it all over again? Dunno, it's had it's share of problems, nothing big. The fact that it won't pass CA SMOG is a big issue to me. The reason I got the SC was to help out a shop and received and smoking deal on the kit and install.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:55 AM
Buy it! DO IT!!

You're getting it at a good price.

I still support the EVO kit...I did say this...

"IF you choose to go the SC route EVO, IMO is probably the safest bet just due to the amount of kits out there and my experience."

Last edited by Itzkirb; 09-22-2005 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:02 AM
THANK YOU KIRBY FOR YOUR HONEST OPINION!!!!

ya, you can't compare an SCed 996 and a modded TT. not a fair fight.

hell, with all the CEL/MAF problems with modded TTs you can't escape the fact that modding WILL affect something. easiest way to clear out the CEL is to clear it out with a scanner.

wait a minute, the SC has it's own water reservoir?

well... when you got the SC the 997S wasn't out, so would you still do it if you didn't have the 997S choice?

Originally posted by Itzkirb
OK, MY honest insight....Not trying to slam anyone I think TPC and EVO are good companies.

Reason I got the SC, dirt cheap price and helping out a tuner.

When I first picked up the car and drove it I was like…is it working? Maybe not because the car didn’t feel fast, but maybe because I rode/drove modded turbo’s before hand or maybe cause my car is a tip.

Check Engine light keeps coming on. I just disconnect the battery and reset it. It’s a pain, but not the end of the world.

Water evaporates somehow? Every 2wks I have to fill the SC with water.

CA Smog is a big deal as most of you know. I can’t sell the car in CA legally.

Would I do it again? If I personally were to get a 997 or 997S I would not choose the SC route. If I had to pay full price for the SC I would not have done it (ok, call me cheap).

It’s a great kit, EVO has done their homework. It’s fairly solid and there are many places that can service it.

Am I happy with the Kit? Yes and No. I don’t hate it and I do think the power is decent, but it’s no where near a slightly modded Turbo.

If you have a NA 996 the SC is the only real way to get a lot of power. IF you choose to go the SC route EVO, IMO is probably the safest bet just due to the amount of kits out there and my experience. I have no experience with TPC so I cannot comment, but it sounds just as good from talking to a few people about their kits.

But, if I had to do it all over again I would probably go the Robyn route…get a used Turbo instead.

Love Me, Hate me, that is My Opinion...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anybody on here still running a TPC supercharger?