996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Anybody on here still running a TPC supercharger?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 01:03 AM
karlooz is infamous around these parts

Originally posted by Itzkirb
Buy it! DO IT!!

You're getting it at a good price.

I still support the EVO kit...I did say this...

"IF you choose to go the SC route EVO, IMO is probably the safest bet just due to the amount of kits out there and my experience."

Old 09-22-2005, 04:33 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
so what kind of deal did you get on the SC Carlos?

Old 09-22-2005, 07:18 AM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
my996 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by karlooz
dude, i hope you didn't think that about me because i honestly wanted the TRUTH. if you relay the message then i think it is your responsibility to get all the facts and present them. ya just gotta back things up.
With all due respect karlooz, a person relaying a message has no obligation to get all the facts. He is not adopting the message as true, he is only relaying it. That is what Newport did and he got flamed for it. The "message relayer" only alerts future interested parties so they may do their own research to make an informed decision.

In fact, when Kirby expressed his opinion, you stated that he was doing a disservice to this community becasue he did not state his opinion before. Can you blame him? When ever someone purchases a product, whether it is widget or an SC, they think it is the best thing on Earth. Obviously, they are not very objective at the time. As time passes, they can express their experience with it if allowed to do so without the drama and flaming exhibited in this forum by some members (the flamers are not bad people - they are only people defending their choice because they still believe their widget was and still is the best thing on Earth). Whether that continues to be true or not, everyone else who is either interested in purchasing a widget or just wants to hear from others what they have heard of a widget, just wants the story. Thats it.

Please don't take this reply as an attack on you. I am only defending Newports position because it will allow more people to openly comment so that we may all benefit.

BTW, I love your wheels. I wish they were available in 18's because I am a little fearful of switching to 19's due to the road conditions where I drive.

Last edited by my996; 09-22-2005 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:01 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Wow, thanks for the honest answer Kirby, now that's what I call a service to the 6speed board, esp anybody contemplating laying out 12-15k.

Old 09-22-2005, 08:47 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
So is the moral of the story to sell the NA and get a TT?

Old 09-22-2005, 09:37 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Wow. There is only one possible solution if you want a reliable SC 996...RUF.
Thanks for the honest input Kirby. No offense intended to you or Robyn but I wouldn't touch a heavily modded 911 with a ten foot pole if I was in the market. With the above notable exception of course.

Old 09-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
well Robyn's 996 is no longer heavily modded. I think almost everything's been taken out.

Old 09-22-2005, 09:50 AM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by deputydog95
Don't tell him!!!! hahahaaha

I might have to sell mine to DD!

Old 09-22-2005, 09:59 AM
sorry but that's the easy way out. he said "watch out" but never said why (in his original post). kinda weak and really should expect to be flamed for not backing up his story, even if it is second hand.

scenario:
-i know of a guy who knows a guy who has an SC and it is not so perfect but i am not gonna go into the details.
-i know a guy who installed the SC on another guys car and he says its perfect. the guy flogs it at the track almost every weekend, is a daily driver and there have been no problems. he loves the mod and it put's out a ton of power.

which story is more believable and which story will get flamed?

Originally posted by my996
With all due respect karlooz, a ....make an informed decision.
kirby expressing his opinion is awesome and i thanked him for it. i thought it he was doing a disservice in the past by not disclosing the problems he has had w/ the supercharger. whenever i see a "should i SC" thread all i see is "do it, do it, do it". i commend kirby for finally stepping up. hell, i commend anyone who has expressed negative opinion on a mod they have performed. look at KPV and his pss9 thread. he was performing a great service by telling everyone to watch out for this and that...
hey i'll step up: 19" wheels and 700 springs on the street are not fun! (if anyone want to know why as in another thread)

In fact, when Kirby expressed his opinion, .....a widget, just wants the story. Thats it.

it's all good!!! but we won't benefit from these boards if we only get half truths and misguided unsubstantiated information.

Please don't take this reply as an attack on you....we may all benefit.

thx! i wish they would come in 18s too as the springs i put in are amplifying the road surface thru the 19s. when i had softer springs with my H&R coilvers the 19"s were fine.
BTW, I love your wheels. I wish they were available in 18's because I am a little fearful of switching to 19's due to the road conditions where I drive.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by deputydog95
sorry DD, this is a private matter, no offense.

cheers!

Old 09-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Don't tell him!!!! hahahaaha

I might have to sell mine to DD!

i'll behave

Old 09-22-2005, 10:05 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
I have no problems with my EVO SC. The problem with Kirby and his disappearing coolant in the aftercooler had to be a leak as the system is a closed system and does not permit evaperation. Sounds like an install screw up rather than design. I have had the same coolant for 2 years and no lose. If the car had a power problem and could not beat a stock Turbo, again, it was probably the setup and not the system. I have listed all the problems I have with my EVO system below for all to read. By the way...my car was the first 99 C2 to have the system installed and many improvements have been made since.

Jim

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 09-22-2005 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:06 AM
hahah I was just kidding.

On a side note....

I've been talking to Alex about my chk engine light for awhile. Think it might be the ECU programming. I have one of the early SC's so my ECU wasn't flashed it was hard chipped. I might have to buy a new ECU and have Alex flash it with new programming. That "might" fix hte chk engine light error, but not 100%

Old 09-22-2005, 10:07 AM
I know it has to be a leak somewhere, but I can never find a water spot anywhere.

it was installed by Alex and James and they did a good job. My hoses only came off once! hahaha

Jim, I never mentioned a stock Turbo...only a slightly modded turbo. Like with all mods...some will have problems and some won't....like buying a car.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:10 AM
why don't you send the ECU back to EVO to bring it back to stock then flash it?

hahah I was just kidding.

On a side note....

I've been talking to Alex about my chk engine light for awhile. Think it might be the ECU programming. I have one of the early SC's so my ECU wasn't flashed it was hard chipped. I might have to buy a new ECU and have Alex flash it with new programming. That "might" fix hte chk engine light error, but not 100%

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anybody on here still running a TPC supercharger?