996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Anybody on here still running a TPC supercharger?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 10:11 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
that's good news on your unit being hard chipped for me i can get a credit at EVO then if you return the chip.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by deputydog95
that's good news on your unit being hard chipped for me i can get a credit at EVO then if you return the chip.

They don't hard chip anymore I don't think...it's all flash now.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:40 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Originally posted by neil.schneider
So is the moral of the story to sell the NA and get a TT?
I guess the moral is you can't beat the factory, as hard as that sounds. The standard 996 straight off the showroom floor is a world class sports car that can outperform 98% of production cars on the track lap after lap. If you want more power for the other 1.99% there are TTs,GT2-3s. Or a CGT for that last .01%.
Cheers, now I have to go out and get ready for Rita......

Old 09-22-2005, 11:04 AM
P1 911
Kevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of light
I have personally been studying both kits for a whiiile now am no stranger to F/I'ing an N/A motor. If you JUST go by dyno charts and the natural way these kits make their power its pretty obvious the TPC kit would blow the doors off the EVO kit. It makes MUCH more power *under the curve* which NETS acceleration* Thats why turbocharged 911's are so much faster at the SAME HP levels as N/A ones (assuming everything else is constant). I'm leaning towards the TPC one myself...especially being the company is located 30mins from my house, its a no brainer.... They've made over 415RWHP from 3.6L motors with over 370RWT with dyno charts at their shop to prove it (TPC)...the net effect is a 911 much faster than a factory TT w/ X50 even**

Nine meister in U.K. also uses TPC's kits and made 486BHP with it....in a mag article they claim a 3.6 911 is quicker than a GT2 at this level

Last edited by Kevin D; 09-22-2005 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:13 AM
jayster is infamous around these parts
Wow, that was a lot of reading. I have a bit of experience with the TPC kits. I have done both on 3.6 and 3.8 ( big bore ) with amazing results. They drive like a Vette ( big torque on low revs )
you can roll of the line in 2nd, or if in the "wrong" gear, just punch it and it moves on out. Pretty cool, S/C's have come a long way since I started with Judsons on old VW's.
But just the same, if I were to choose to do a super, I would definately prefer the linear approach, and get the punch where you want/need it, on the low revs and it just builds from there.
Hope this helps. Jayster

Old 09-22-2005, 11:19 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally posted by Kevin D
I have personally been studying both kits for a whiiile now am no stranger to F/I'ing an N/A motor. If you JUST go by dyno charts and the natural way these kits make their power its pretty obvious the TPC kit would blow the doors off the EVO kit. It makes MUCH more power *under the curve* which NETS acceleration* Thats why turbocharged 911's are so much faster at the SAME HP levels as N/A ones (assuming everything else is constant). I'm leaning towards the TPC one myself...especially being the company is located 30mins from my house, its a no brainer.... They've made over 415RWHP from 3.6L motors with over 370RWT with dyno charts at their shop to prove it (TPC)...the net effect is a 911 much faster than a factory TT w/ X50 even**

Nine meister in U.K. also uses TPC's kits and made 486BHP with it....in a mag article they claim a 3.6 911 is quicker than a GT2 at this level

Try driving both, which I have, and you'll see that the TPC does not even come close to the power in the upper range as does the EVO. The TPC engine also runs much hotter. If dyno charts are your thing, (which in reality mean nothing) I currently have 434 RWHP on my little old 3.4 liter 996. It is the performance that counts and I out accelerate not only the GT2, but also the TT X50.

I would suggest you drive the TPC BEFORE you plop down your money. I know several 993 drivers that couldn't get them off their cars fast enough.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 09-22-2005 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:03 PM
P1 911
Kevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by 1999Porsche911
Try driving both, which I have, and you'll see that the TPC does not even come close to the power in the upper range as does the EVO. The TPC engine also runs much hotter. If dyno charts are your thing, (which in reality mean nothing) I currently have 434 RWHP on my little old 3.4 liter 996. It is the performance that counts and I out accelerate not only the GT2, but also the TT X50.

I would suggest you drive the TPC BEFORE you plop down your money. I know several 993 drivers that couldn't get them off their cars fast enough.
I respect your suggestion to drive both, and that I certainly will...as I'm not concerned with WHO or WHERE the kit is made as much as getting the MAX acceleration and power out of my 911*

Secondly, dyno charts DO materially matter. Thats why any respected tuner around the world have one and uses it to compare and chart the gains their mods actually give*

How did you get 434RWHP out of your 3.4L ??? That is VERY impressive! If I made that kind of HP out of my 3.4 I'd be pro EVO too, lol. What kind of dyno was it on and is that figure SAE corrected** ?

I HAVE visited TPC's shop and seen their in-ground dyno with the charts of many SC kits rwhp. They're typically netting 395-410RWHP from the installs on the 3.6L motors. However, this is with excellent torque and power coming on really early and staying strong thru to redline** It'll easily beat a TT WITH X50, this came from an owner who has one AND owns a TPC SC on a 3.6 carrera, not me. With a few extra tweaks an honest 420+RWHP is possible from this kit and have been made (TPC showed me). You're not going to make near the torque or power down low on the EVO, thats just fact* Centrifugal vs. positive displacement** As far as upgradablility, I haven't heard of anyone building up the bottom end of these motors so that the boost can safely be raised on these kits, when someone here can provide ONE example of this then I'd say upgradability of the EVO kits nets it a *possible* material advantage...but becuase bottom end upgrades haven't even been concieved yet for these motors it isn't a point to argue*

PS: ...were any of these TPC 911's that were "running hot" 993's ? or were they all 996's ? Because TPC recommends an upgraded center front radiator kit to eliminate this on track drivin 996's (a la GT3 unit)

Last edited by Kevin D; 09-22-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:22 PM
Porsche Chick
RobynC is infamous around these partsRobynC is infamous around these parts
You know, having spoken with a lot of people about things we buy for our cars aftermarket, there are far more people unhappy/disappointed with products/services who don't say anything then some might believe. People do not share bad stories enough. Why? Because they don’t want to be flamed. And please, do not insult my post by saying that doesn’t happen around here, it does.

As consumers, we all have completely personal expectations of products. So, it's difficult for vendors to make everyone happy.

I have seen people get flamed and flamed again for saying a negative word over products...it just plain gets ugly. It's unfair, because it doesn't lend to the community in any helpful way at all. When you want to be honest, you can't.

With that said, I am in an even more awkward position now. Not only do I have experience with quite a few products (Good and bad), but I am a business owner now. So anything I say is looked at with a microscope as to my motive for saying it. For anyone who knows me personally, I have a very high level of integrity, and when it gets questioned, I come out fighting. So what do I do? I avoid the fight completely by keeping my mouth shut. And if you think I alone in this way of thinking...you are sadly mistaken.

I have nothing to contribute to this thread accept that we should not beat up on anyone for saying anything negative. It’s OUR responsibility to be the most informed consumer for our OWN sake. Make your decision based on what YOU have discovered, that is factual and based not on emotion. I think for someone to come on here and say “I’ve heard some folks who have not been very happy with their purchase†and beat them up is ridiculous. Putting someone on the defensive is silly for bringing up the other side of an argument.

Jim – You and I have had some candid talks about the SC. If I’m not mistaken your SC over the course of time has been tweaked and improved/modified to run in it’s current condition. It’s also not the only performance modification you have done to it, right?

Carlos, you will enjoy your nearly new SC, it wasn't abused and was a lot of fun. I'm so excited to know that it's going to a fellow enthusiast and super nice guy!

For those who wonder....Why did I take it off? I can't sell the car with it. Simple as that. (Someone buy my Yellow Beast, please...or I'll be forced to keep it!!!)

Now, do I have any regrets? Hell no! I love my TT! Bring on the mods!

Old 09-22-2005, 01:25 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
i believe TPC now includes the front radiator kit for that very reason. i don't think it's an option any more.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:36 PM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by RobynC
...Carlos, you will enjoy your nearly new SC, it wasn't abused and was a lot of fun. I'm so excited to know that it's going to a fellow enthusiast and super nice guy!...

aw shucks, you make me blush .

i can't wait to get the SC in!!!

BTW, i forgot to mention, you got youself one badazz TT. it is sooo money! don't even think you should swap wheels and the oem aerokit is my fave. sorry i missed you and kirby at the last meet. i had to train for a century ride in october. i keep saying it but next time

Old 09-22-2005, 01:53 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally posted by RobynC
You know, having spoken with a lot of people about things we buy for our cars aftermarket, there are far more people unhappy/disappointed with products/services who don't say anything then some might believe. People do not share bad stories enough. Why? Because they don’t want to be flamed. And please, do not insult my post by saying that doesn’t happen around here, it does.

As consumers, we all have completely personal expectations of products. So, it's difficult for vendors to make everyone happy.

I have seen people get flamed and flamed again for saying a negative word over products...it just plain gets ugly. It's unfair, because it doesn't lend to the community in any helpful way at all. When you want to be honest, you can't.

With that said, I am in an even more awkward position now. Not only do I have experience with quite a few products (Good and bad), but I am a business owner now. So anything I say is looked at with a microscope as to my motive for saying it. For anyone who knows me personally, I have a very high level of integrity, and when it gets questioned, I come out fighting. So what do I do? I avoid the fight completely by keeping my mouth shut. And if you think I alone in this way of thinking...you are sadly mistaken.

I have nothing to contribute to this thread accept that we should not beat up on anyone for saying anything negative. It’s OUR responsibility to be the most informed consumer for our OWN sake. Make your decision based on what YOU have discovered, that is factual and based not on emotion. I think for someone to come on here and say “I’ve heard some folks who have not been very happy with their purchase†and beat them up is ridiculous. Putting someone on the defensive is silly for bringing up the other side of an argument.

Jim – You and I have had some candid talks about the SC. If I’m not mistaken your SC over the course of time has been tweaked and improved/modified to run in it’s current condition. It’s also not the only performance modification you have done to it, right?

Carlos, you will enjoy your nearly new SC, it wasn't abused and was a lot of fun. I'm so excited to know that it's going to a fellow enthusiast and super nice guy!

For those who wonder....Why did I take it off? I can't sell the car with it. Simple as that. (Someone buy my Yellow Beast, please...or I'll be forced to keep it!!!)

Now, do I have any regrets? Hell no! I love my TT! Bring on the mods!

Robyn: I agree with being candid, and you know I have ruffled many feathers on this board being candid. As for other mods to my 996? None, zippo, nada! Other than a recent mod to the mufflers , I have no other performance products on the car other than the SC. Yes, it is highly modified (for better or worse) than the day it came from EVO, but I have made no other changes to the engine. (I did get rid of the crappy Bosch plugs for other copper ones).

As with many mods, unless you are willing to learn the inside and out of them and how they effect your car's performance, you are at the mercy of the installer, and in my experience, that can prove dangerous.

I can honesty say that I have absolutely no problems with the system including MAF or other CEL's.

P.S. My 18 year old daughter want me to buy your Yellow Bird

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 09-22-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:26 PM
Porsche Chick
RobynC is infamous around these partsRobynC is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by 1999Porsche911
Robyn: I agree with being candid, and you know I have ruffled many feathers on this board being candid. As for other mods to my 996? None, zippo, nada! Other than a recent mod to the mufflers , I have no other performance products on the car other than the SC. Yes, it is highly modified (for better or worse) than the day it came from EVO, but I have made no other changes to the engine. (I did get rid of the crappy Bosch plugs for other copper ones).

As with many mods, unless you are willing to learn the inside and out of them and how they effect your car's performance, you are at the mercy of the installer, and in my experience, that can prove dangerous.

I can honesty say that I have absolutely no problems with the system including MAF or other CEL's.

P.S. My 18 year old daughter want me to buy your Yellow Bird
My mistake, I thought for some reason you had done some different headers and other good stuff. Not sure where i got that idea, oops!

And that is the one thing I can appreciate about your style....you tell it like it is. Rough as it might be.

Your daughter has wonderful taste!! You should...as we say at the shop... DO IT!!

Old 09-22-2005, 03:36 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-22-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Itzkirb
DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe if I have any money left over after she and her brother get done with college. With tuition costs, it's like I am buying a new Porsche every year without getting any enjoyment out of one.

Old 09-22-2005, 07:55 PM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
ok all, check out this new thread comparing the 2 dyno plots.

EVO supercharger vs. TPC supercharger

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anybody on here still running a TPC supercharger?