996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Anybody on here still running a TPC supercharger?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 08:06 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally posted by karlooz
ok all, check out this new thread comparing the 2 dyno plots.

EVO supercharger vs. TPC supercharger

You graph for the 3.4 is not comparing apples to apples. The EVO graph for the 3.4 is in 3rd gear and the TPC is in 4th. Big difference is drivetrain loss. Like I have said many times before...you can play alot of games with dyno charts.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 09-22-2005 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:15 AM
P1 911
Kevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of light
Most dyno runs made in 3rd net a HIGHER RWHP figure than 4th...so your right if in fact these dyno runs were made in different gears. The overlay shown is biased in EVO's FAVOR, not TPC's. Making those figure look even more impressive FOR the TPC SC.

Old 09-23-2005, 09:26 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally posted by Kevin D
Most dyno runs made in 3rd net a HIGHER RWHP figure than 4th...so your right if in fact these dyno runs were made in different gears. The overlay shown is biased in EVO's FAVOR, not TPC's. Making those figure look even more impressive FOR the TPC SC.
I guess you just won't accept the facts of physics, so continuing to debate you will be useless. And just WHY would an engine that has to push larger heavier gears somehow not lose as much power as the same engine having to push lighter, smaller gears????? Here is a dyno chart that I found on the web that illustrates how wrong you are. However, if you have discovered some new method of moving heavier objects with less energy, the world is waiting to hear from you.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 12-28-2006 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:47 AM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by 1999Porsche911
I guess you just won't accept the facts of physics, so continuing to debate you will be useless. And just WHY would an engine that has to push larger heavier gears somehow not lose as much power as the same engine having to push lighter, smaller gears????? Here is a dyno chart that I found on the web that illustrates how wrong you are. However, if you have discovered some new method of moving heavier objects with less energy, the world is waiting to hear from you.
theory and practice is another story. in practice MY CAR (NOT FROM THE WEB), netted higher HP in 3rd gear over 4th. end of story. that plot you attached means nothing to porsches as they tested a 5.0L something or other with a different gear box. show me plots from a porsche then we can talk apples to apples not porsches to fords.

maybe debating you is useless

Old 09-23-2005, 12:07 PM
P1 911
Kevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of light
Whats with the defensive tone !? You're beginning to sound silly* It's brutally obvious to me AND EVERYONE that you're as bias FOR EVO as Dick Chaney is to keep us in Iraq as long as possible** LOL. I'm simply looking to purchase the BEST supercharger my **$13,000** (after install) will buy! *I* define "best" as giving the most HP and torque boost throughout as much of the powerband as possible...not just in a narrow band (near redline). There are obviously things you have done to YOUR particular SC kit to enhance the gains it has given your car FAR beyond what an EVO SC *should* do on a 3.4 (thats according to EVO OWN data) God bless you, and if you were my neighbor, took me on many drives in your car, let me drive it, and was there for me to show me all your little "speed secrets" and trouble shooting that you yourself went thru then I would be very inclined to buy the EVO kit for my 3.6 and make a theoritcal 450+RWHP! LOL. Reality is, however, that there is an EVO distributor/installer within 30 mins of where i live AND TPC is also located 30 mins from where i live. I have heard from many OWNERS what the EVO can do and have visited and heard from owners what the TPC can do.....BOTTOM LINE IS = if you want TURBO-LIKE power and acceleration then you want the TPC SC*** If you want a high-strung N/A engine TYPE power delivery then you want the EVO SC. If you can't live with that statement, then you're living in DENIAL and you need to GET OVER IT, ROFL.

EVERY automobile i have come into contact with, vettes, mustangs, my acura NSX, my brothers SC'ed S2000, etc....the difference between centrifugal blowers vs. roots style or turbocharging was obvious......for vehicles who's low end gains don't matter (i.e. vipers and vettes or any big inch pushrod V8's), you DON"T want a lot more down low and in fact want to specifically give the gains/boost higher in the power band which act as a natural traction control system. Anytime you F/I'ing a 4 banger, or high output 6 you want to turbo or have an intercooled roots style power adder to fatten up what your motor DOESN'T have down low to make your car faster everywhere/overall. This has been proven time and time again, I'm not spouting any revolutionary information here, LOL.

Old 09-23-2005, 12:15 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
i'm actually going to sebring on saturday. one of the TPC cars is going to be there and he is going to demo it for me. i'll post my findings and some pics.

maybe he'll let me do some side by side straight line comparisons between mine and his

Old 09-23-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Kevin D
Whats with the defensive tone !? You're beginning to sound silly* It's brutally obvious to me AND EVERYONE that you're as bias FOR EVO as Dick Chaney is to keep us in Iraq as long as possible** LOL. I'm simply looking to purchase the BEST supercharger my **$13,000** (after install) will buy! *I* define "best" as giving the most HP and torque boost throughout as much of the powerband as possible...not just in a narrow band (near redline). There are obviously things you have done to YOUR particular SC kit to enhance the gains it has given your car FAR beyond what an EVO SC *should* do on a 3.4 (thats according to EVO OWN data) God bless you, and if you were my neighbor, took me on many drives in your car, let me drive it, and was there for me to show me all your little "speed secrets" and trouble shooting that you yourself went thru then I would be very inclined to buy the EVO kit for my 3.6 and make a theoritcal 450+RWHP! LOL. Reality is, however, that there is an EVO distributor/installer within 30 mins of where i live AND TPC is also located 30 mins from where i live. I have heard from many OWNERS what the EVO can do and have visited and heard from owners what the TPC can do.....BOTTOM LINE IS = if you want TURBO-LIKE power and acceleration then you want the TPC SC*** If you want a high-strung N/A engine TYPE power delivery then you want the EVO SC. If you can't live with that statement, then you're living in DENIAL and you need to GET OVER IT, ROFL.

EVERY automobile i have come into contact with, vettes, mustangs, my acura NSX, my brothers SC'ed S2000, etc....the difference between centrifugal blowers vs. roots style or turbocharging was obvious......for vehicles who's low end gains don't matter (i.e. vipers and vettes or any big inch pushrod V8's), you DON"T want a lot more down low and in fact want to specifically give the gains/boost higher in the power band which act as a natural traction control system. Anytime you F/I'ing a 4 banger, or high output 6 you want to turbo or have an intercooled roots style power adder to fatten up what your motor DOESN'T have down low to make your car faster everywhere/overall. This has been proven time and time again, I'm not spouting any revolutionary information here, LOL.

I am not agruing for the EVO over the TPC per se, but with your inacurate comparision of the 2 systems. I can't help but wonder, since some people cannot grasp the fact that dynoing a car in a lower gear robs rwhp, maybe they are also confused as to the performance of the 2 systems. I have said before, drive both and buy what delivers what you're looking for. Try coimparing apples to apples and then drive the 2 systems. Real world performance is a lot different that what a graph shows. Oh, and enjoy the loooooooong flat spot in power with the TPC when the variocam kicks in.

There is no agrument that a roots style blower gets the boost during the low rpms where the Centrafuge does not. But take it for the whole power band and I find the latter being much more fun to drive.

As a matter of fact, I will be taking a newly installed TPC unit for a drive this afternoon. It's the newest version they sell. If for some reason I find it to have a better power curve than mine, I'll let you know. Maybe they have straightened out the timing with a new program.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 09-23-2005 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:49 PM
wyo996 is infamous around these parts
I really appreciate those dyno comparisons and it fully explains my impression of the Evo SC in my car. When I first had the install I had the feeling that it was not working. Very little low end differance. After numerous mistakes in the install were corrected which I have illuminated to this board ad nauseum I did a GT Pro 1/4 mile that was a meer .9 sec faster than my stock baseline, still very dissapointing. Then I found that the intercooler was plugged with threading compound and after flushing and cleaning the intercooler my performance improved more. But the real strength in my car is at 90 mph up. On our lonely interstates here in Wyoming we often get the opprotunity to open it up at 85. That is where the car is lightening fast, too fast. I down shift to 4th and wow.

At the time I did the dirty deed TPC was really not an option. In retrospect I may have gone that way and if you want muscle car performance with off the line power I think that is the way to go. On the other hand my driving is better served by high end HP and top end performance.

As to reliability, that is to be seen by those on this board who are honest and speak up. I still have the CEL come on after 400 or so miles and now just check it with my OBD II disc and let it go. If I reset it I have to live with 50 miles of the engine stalling due to my lightweight flywheel, somewhat of a hassel. I have no intercooler fluid issues and have driven the car year around now for 18 m. with no other issues except the oil line breaking this summer due to another install mistake. I think this is what happened to Robyn but have never heard. The MAF has been replaced by me once and the air cleaner (quite a job compared to the TPC).

Bottom line I should have bought a Turbo but now I have this great car that I will keep a long time because I will never get my money out of it, but I do love it. Sorry for the length of this thread but the devil made me do it. Will

Old 09-23-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by wyo996
I really appreciate those dyno ....................ry for the length of this thread but the devil made me do it. Will
maybe you can overdrive the evo SC so it will produce enough boost down low but have a blow off/diverter valve at low levels to protect the engine. hmmmmm........

Last edited by karlooz; 09-23-2005 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:40 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by karlooz
maybe you can overdrive the evo SC so it will produce enough boost down low but have a blow off/diverter valve at low levels to protect the engine. hmmmmm........
Or maybe we can put a reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllly small pulley in by accident

Old 09-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by sharkster
Or maybe we can put a reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllly small pulley in by accident
dats what i'm talkin about!!!! hey does the SC come w/ blow offs?

Old 09-25-2005, 02:57 PM
P1 911
As a matter of fact, I will be taking a newly installed TPC unit for a drive this afternoon. It's the newest version they sell...
So how was that drive big daddy!? ...and *please* be honest good or bad.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:49 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
check out the other evo vs tpc thread for my impressions of the tpc unit.