996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Anybody on here still running a TPC supercharger?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 07:46 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Anybody on here still running a TPC supercharger?

Thinking about taking the plunge on this project as the TT cabs will always be slightly out of my reach financially.

Anyway, I know we have tons of EVO kits on here. Seems like a really good product.

I'm kind of intrigued by the TPC kit though. Seems like it would be a superior way to supercharge the 996.

Very similar to EVO's kit, except that it makes most of it's power at under 3K vs. the EVO kit having to be high in the RPM range to make comparable power. The roots style blower definately seems to be better technology.

Both kits have intercoolers and use front mount radiators.

TPC uses a piggy back ECU vs flashing for the EVO.

TPC uses it's own oil resovoir vs EVO using the engine's oil supply.

I spoke to TPC today. He said they have about 20 kits out there now. He said the only problem they have run into is MAF sensors, but that seems to be a problem with the EVO's as well.

In theory, seems like the TPC would be a better driving car based on their respective dyno charts and the way the TPC kit makes power. I just wish the TPC had the history and reputation of the EVO. Kind of seems like you would have to rev the crap out of the EVO kit to make that extra 100HP.

I'd love to hear from you TPC owners and get your feedback.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:57 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
TPC dyno

Old 09-20-2005, 07:59 PM
EVO dyno

Old 09-20-2005, 08:01 PM
racerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to behold
Don't have one yet, but I live about 40 minutes from Mikes shop. I know 3 996 guys and a boxster guy with them and they're all very happy. The acceleration is amazing. Comes on right away-

Old 09-20-2005, 08:01 PM
Wish they did their charts based on RPM instead of speed.

Probably end up going with EVO based on their rep and reliability, but figure I have to at least look into the TPC option.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:06 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by deputydog95
Wish they did their charts based on RPM instead of speed.

Probably end up going with EVO based on their rep and reliability, but figure I have to at least look into the TPC option.
Be careful..I know of a few people that were very unhappy with the EVO kit.....

Old 09-20-2005, 10:11 PM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by newport996
Be careful..I know of a few people that were very unhappy with the EVO kit.....
c'mon. you can't say that without telling the rest of the story. saying they were unhappy doesn't cut it.

what about it were they not happy with? power, reliability, type of blower, blown-up engines, can't make as much HP as a modded TT (y'all know who you are , wink wink ) not CARB legal? i can see the last one being the biggest hurdle but PLEASE elaborate.

Old 09-20-2005, 10:50 PM
I was hoping as long as these units have been out now that there would have been more feedback.

Old 09-20-2005, 11:13 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by karlooz
c'mon. you can't say that without telling the rest of the story. saying they were unhappy doesn't cut it.

what about it were they not happy with? power, reliability, type of blower, blown-up engines, can't make as much HP as a modded TT (y'all know who you are , wink wink ) not CARB legal? i can see the last one being the biggest hurdle but PLEASE elaborate.
Maybe some of those people will chime in....I don't want to speak on their behalf...I just wanted to let DD know that there are some that are not happy with the EVO unit.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:14 AM
RoverRon is infamous around these parts
i have TPC SC kit for the most part i have been really happy. There are a few things that i am unhappy with but it's not with the supercharger. The power is great comes on really fast. When I dyno'ed my car at AWE I had even better numbers than the numbers I produced at TPC shop. You should have come to Hershey. Rember you wanted to keep your at my house. Before your wedding. You could have drove my car and seen for yourself. My issues deal with people at the shop not their product. If you follow the things they tell everything works fine. Well I get a CEL light for cats out of range but i can reset that. It only happens once every 150 to 200 miles Im not sure if its my car or what. With mass air sensor going out I keep a spare in the car it only went out once on me. i have at least 5k on system.

Old 09-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by newport996
Maybe some of those people will chime in....I don't want to speak on their behalf...I just wanted to let DD know that there are some that are not happy with the EVO unit.
i was really interested in your claim because i AM getting the evo kit. well, no offense, but i will take what you claimed as hearsay then

Old 09-21-2005, 01:29 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I've looked at both, and Ruf. The one thing TPC has going for it is an extensive racing experience, not tuner shootouts. They actually campaign a couple of 996 cup cars, I understand one even runs the sc at the track without issue. I know they are smaller and the kit may look less refined than the evo but I think they are a good shop that will stand behind their product 100%.
There is a guy up here who has their kit on his 993 S, that thing is fast as hell at the track and very reliable, his car is basically track only every weekend and runs well.
I think all the kits are great, but the roots/oem/tpc/ruf style might be more reliable in the long run as opposed to the evo centrifugal type.
Another good point about TPC is that they do all the installs themselves, and your car doesn't leave until it is right, at least that's what they told me.
Don't judge a book by it's cover, only time will tell regarding the reliability on a na 996 motor with any of these kits.

Old 09-21-2005, 01:37 PM
hey surgeon,

why would a roots type blower be more reliable than a vortec blower? do you mean it's better for the engine? the roots creates more boost down low and the vortec creates it higher up in the rmp range. this may be better for the engine.

i guess the negative thing for the TPC is that i wouldn't be able to ship out my car for the install. suppose something did happen to it, i would be SOL with no one to work on it too.

Originally posted by C4S Surgeon
I've looked at both, and Ruf. The one thing TPC has going for it is an extensive racing experience, not tuner shootouts. They actually campaign a couple of 996 cup cars, I understand one even runs the sc at the track without issue. I know they are smaller and the kit may look less refined than the evo but I think they are a good shop that will stand behind their product 100%.
There is a guy up here who has their kit on his 993 S, that thing is fast as hell at the track and very reliable, his car is basically track only every weekend and runs well.
I think all the kits are great, but the roots/oem/tpc/ruf style might be more reliable in the long run as opposed to the evo centrifugal type.
Another good point about TPC is that they do all the installs themselves, and your car doesn't leave until it is right, at least that's what they told me.
Don't judge a book by it's cover, only time will tell regarding the reliability on a na 996 motor with any of these kits.

Old 09-21-2005, 01:48 PM
Captain Tal is infamous around these parts
I have no direct experience with TPC and can only comment directly on my experience with EVO. I compared the two systems pretty extensively before I bought the EVO.

Like you, I believed the TPC blower (Roots Type) would be faster and provide more torque but I questioned the completenesss of the system and the relatively small number of installs from which to base historical evidence.

I have found the EVO SC to be a massive increase in torque and HP EVEN AT LOW RPMS AND SPEED. I do not have to be at high speed to notice the difference. I am very pleased with the unit but suggest you approach track experience carefully. There have been problems with the units failing to adequately drain oil when under sustained high g loading. (There is a fix)

I am not bashing the TPC unit at all. Like I said, I have no experience with these units on 996's. I have seen them perform nicely on 993's. I went with EVO because of the experience within the community and the high quality parts. Vortech (EVO)superchargers are among the best on the planet. I see no basis for suggesting TPC will be more reliable than the EVO.

Newport, you should refrain from casting aspersions unless you are willing to back up assertions with proof.

Last edited by Captain Tal; 09-21-2005 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:57 PM
thx captain,

what was the oil drain fix? I WILL be tracking the car w/ the SC.

Originally posted by Captain Tal
I have no direct experience with TPC and can only comment directly on my experience with EVO. I compared the two systems pretty extensively before I bought the EVO.

Like you, I believed the TPC blower (Roots Type) would be faster and provide more torque but I questioned the completenesss of the system and the relatively small number of installs from which to base historical evidence.

I have found the EVO SC to be a massive increase in torque and HP EVEN AT LOW RPMS AND SPEED. I do not have to be at high speed to notice the difference. I am very pleased with the unit but suggest you approach track experience carefully. There have been problems with the units failing to adequately drain oil when under sustained high g loading. (There is a fix)

I am not bashing the TPC unit at all. Like I said, I have no experience with these units on 996's. I have seen them perform nicely on 993's. I went with EVO because of the experience within the community and the high quality parts. Vortech (EVO)superchargers are among the best on the planet. I see no basis for suggesting TPC will be more reliable than the EVO.

Newport, you should refrain from casting aspersions unless you are willing to back up assertions with proof.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anybody on here still running a TPC supercharger?