996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How to polish the Windshield?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 07:51 AM
Engbull is infamous around these parts
How to polish the Windshield?

I have some scratching on my windsheild (from the wipers) very shallow cannot feel with fingernail...I heard verticle strokes with fine steel-wool may take them out...can someone confirm?

Do I use the steel-wool with regular Windex?

Is there a better technique?

Thank you!

Old 09-21-2005, 10:01 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
ouch! wait for the expert but i feel like telling u the ''steel-wool'' idea sounds scary so hang in there.

Old 09-21-2005, 02:05 PM
911 flyn is infamous around these parts
Eastwood makes a polishing kit for windshields, it works well.
Don't even think about the steel wool idea, sounds scary

Old 09-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Ubermensch is infamous around these parts
Very fine steel wool would work fine (although I haven't done it). Just make sure to get the finest you can find (probably 000).

Old 09-21-2005, 02:23 PM
Engbull is infamous around these parts
Thanks everyone...I am going to give the Eastwood product a try...its cheap and not as intimidating as the steel wool!

Glass Polishing Kit Pro

This kit can be used to clear off years of wiper haze from your windshield and save hundreds of dollars in replacement costs. Ideal for hard-to-find windshields on older cars. Try this test: Run your fingernail over the damaged area on your windshield. If nail doesn't catch this kit will work. If your nail does catch try the Deep Scratch Kit (40030). Mark the damaged area mix the special Glass Polishing Compound with water, attach polishing buff to your drill or low speed polisher (1,500 rpm), and start polishing! Includes: 1/4 adapter, 1 lb Glass Polishing Compound, 2 7/8" x 1" Thick Buffing Wheel.

Item# Product Qty Price

40011 Glass Polishing Kit Pro
$34.99

Old 09-21-2005, 08:10 PM
DrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura about
I tried the steel wool once, it was a mistake.....

Old 09-21-2005, 09:00 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by 911 flyn
Eastwood makes a polishing kit for windshields, it works well.
Don't even think about the steel wool idea, sounds scary

while most say steel wool is safe on windows, i've seen it do A LOT of damage if not used properly.

Eastwoods kit is fairly good, i've had success w/ it on a few scratches on stuff. But if it's pretty pitted, it's best to just replace.

Old 09-22-2005, 07:28 AM
Greg L. is infamous around these parts
There is a difference between cleaning the glass and repairing abrasions. To clean the front windshield I have used 0000 steel wool and Sprayway glass cleaner on a 996, a Lexus and a Honda. No damage whatsoever. Many of the pinpoint specks I thought were pits were actually surface contamination and were removed.

Gurureports had a nice article on it if you are interested.

Old 09-22-2005, 09:21 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Why can't you use the stuff like you would on the paint? Clay bar and compound and polish with a machine.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:12 AM
GTEE83 is infamous around these parts
I had to drive behind heavy earth-moving equipment (dump trucks, graders, etc.) when I was commuting into Orlando a few years ago, and the windshield on my E320 was pretty scratched up from having the wipers move sand and dirt around on my windshield while it was raining. I used a random orbital polisher and some polishing compound. It took a couple of tries, but it worked very well in getting the windshield wiper scratches out of that windshield. Obviously if there are specific kits out there that do that, they may be better, but that simple (and cheap!) method worked for me.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:59 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by neil.schneider
Why can't you use the stuff like you would on the paint? Clay bar and compound and polish with a machine.
cause the car polishes and compounds are abbrassive enough for the glass. That said, I clay bar my windows, really cleans them up.