996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Warranty issues with MODS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 12:59 PM
ppickerell is infamous around these parts
Warranty issues with MODS

Hello all, I am an infrequent poster but frequent visitor. I am considering mods to my 04 C4S such as chip, intake and exhaust. Will these mods void my warranty?

Old 09-29-2005, 01:37 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Well, a chip probably will not net any gains. Intake and exhaust should not void anything. I would research these mods greatly. It has never been proven that these mods which will cost thousands will net you gains. You may get 3-15 HP depending on which brands you use, but you may lose HP in the lower RPM range...Exhaust is usually done purely for the sound....If you are concerned about warranty, get the exhaust. The intake and chip probably are not worth it in my opinion.

Old 09-30-2005, 09:19 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Intake and chip are probably a waste of time and at least the chip will void your warranty. The exhaust will add a couple of ponies, I like GHL, waaaaaay cheaper than PSE and PSE adds zero hp.

Old 09-30-2005, 11:22 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Hmm actually I beg to differ With an intake and flash you do get some power... 18rwhp... The exhaust is more for sound but will get you maybe 6 or so....

The intake will void your warranty on things like a MAF (a 250 dollar part) and the flash can always be put back to stock for free and such....

Old 09-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Do you mean that the MAF will malfunction with the install of an intake?

Old 09-30-2005, 12:27 PM
marcsanz is infamous around these parts
No the MAF will not malfunction with the addition of an intake. However, as Sharky mentioned, if it were to malfunction at some point in time the dealer might not replace it under warranty. It reallly depends on the dealer and how receptive they are to aftermarket parts. Some are better than others. Marc

Old 09-30-2005, 12:50 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Marc is right...it is entirely dependent on the dealer. I have had no issues with getting warranty work done (including a MAF replacement), front differential, O2 sensor heater... Do the mods. Its not about the HP anyway.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:54 PM
marcsanz is infamous around these parts
I couldnt agree more with wross996tt, I have done three 3.6 L cars this week with evo intake, flash, headers and mufflers. Every customer was told the same thing "if you dont feel the expense is commensurate with the added performance we will take it off" Needless to say not a single customer has taken me up on the refund.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:39 PM
Ballpark costs for evo intake, flash, headers and mufflers including install? Ballpark RWHP gain with the complete package? IF it's not about the HP, what is it about? I do not care about bling.

Old 09-30-2005, 03:05 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Originally posted by sharkster
Hmm actually I beg to differ With an intake and flash you do get some power... 18rwhp... The exhaust is more for sound but will get you maybe 6 or so....

The intake will void your warranty on things like a MAF (a 250 dollar part) and the flash can always be put back to stock for free and such....
This business about chips being "undetectable" or putting them back to stock when you take it in for repairs doesn't seem very kosher to me. Sorry, I just think that is not right. If anybody wants to put a chip on their car then go for it, but you also need to accept the consequeces if it screws something up. The best scenario would be if one of the "tuners" would team up with Porsche and provide approved tuning upgrades thru the dealer network.

Old 09-30-2005, 07:15 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Bert Smith Moto
No the MAF will not malfunction with the addition of an intake. However, as Sharky mentioned, if it were to malfunction at some point in time the dealer might not replace it under warranty. It reallly depends on the dealer and how receptive they are to aftermarket parts. Some are better than others. Marc
Thanks Marc that's exactly what I meant The dealer has to prove that your intake caused the failure of a MAF. On NA 996s there have not been an increased rate of failures of the MAFs but I was just giving an example....

Old 09-30-2005, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by ppickerell
Ballpark costs for evo intake, flash, headers and mufflers including install? Ballpark RWHP gain with the complete package? IF it's not about the HP, what is it about? I do not care about bling.
It's about 23rwhp with the intake and flash. Here's the info:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=20 (intake)

Flash:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=18

Old 09-30-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by DJ996
This business about chips being "undetectable" or putting them back to stock when you take it in for repairs doesn't seem very kosher to me. Sorry, I just think that is not right. If anybody wants to put a chip on their car then go for it, but you also need to accept the consequeces if it screws something up. The best scenario would be if one of the "tuners" would team up with Porsche and provide approved tuning upgrades thru the dealer network.
Hi doug I understand what you're saying. The irony is that there are Genuine Porsche dealerships across the country that not only "send/recommend" us or other EVO dealers to customers but actually sign up to be official EVO dealers. On the one hand you have Porsche dealers endorsing and installing Flashes, intakes, exhausts etc.. and other parts from EVO and on the other you have dealers that void your warranty for a flipping B&M Short Shift Kit even though the Porsche one is EXACTLY the same only painted black. From my point I have been VERY lucky with dealerships in the Bay Area. Brian and Carlsen have been so darn supportive of what we do that it's likely that not many other areas have this level of support! They are very understanding and as long as everyone is honest and plays by the rules they do what they can and always have. They know people enjoy racing and playing with these cars....

Old 09-30-2005, 07:27 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I hear you Alex, there is a ton of variability among dealerships. If they sold you the upgrade it would be hard for them to void any warranty in my view.
Cheers

Old 09-30-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by DJ996
I hear you Alex, there is a ton of variability among dealerships. If they sold you the upgrade it would be hard for them to void any warranty in my view.
Cheers
Absolutely! it is a strange situation indeed... The best thing I can do however is recommend the most reasonable dealership in my area to my customers and I do that. I seriously send everyone over to Brian @ Carlsen. Plus Christian (their tech) rebuilt my motor- he's awesome. He builds motors with Jerry Woods so he knows his stuff....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Warranty issues with MODS