996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Took a trip up to Mt. Evans... some road rage NO 56K

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 05:59 PM
Banned by Moderators
SANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura about
Took a trip up to Mt. Evans... some road rage NO 56K

This has been the first weekend in a couple months that I have had very little going on. So we decided to take a trip up to the mountains to see the leaves change. This is our first summer/fall in Denver so we are trying to get the whole experience in. The Yellow Aspen Leaves really complimented my SY C2. We had a nice lunch at the top of Mt. Evans and headed home. On the way home some dick head on the I70 in a new Ford F350 decided he was going to see how close he could kiss my bumper. He sat there for a few min no where to go as it was a packed interstate. the car ahead of me was 10 car lengths and had a string of cars in front of him. We were in the fast lane and cars along the right side. Just moving with the flow of traffic. Anyway he thought it would be funny to pass me using the shoulder. I tried to speed up to escape the flying rocks but the car in front of me prohibited going any further. So he dusted about 5 cars before making his move back into traffic. No harm done to the car even though I could hear the rocks he kicked up. Why are people such dicks. I was so pissed. When I got home and ispected the car I was glad to see no damage so the moment did not ruin a good day.

Last edited by SANDOVAL; 10-04-2005 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Beautiful shots!

Don't let the ********* get to you... you're bound to run into them once in a while... let them be, Karma will take care of them!

Old 10-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Banned by Moderators
SANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura about
Thanks Stephen I know those types of haters are out there, it does not matter where you are or where you live. It is just unforunate people have to treat eachother this way.

a couple more...

Old 10-02-2005, 06:29 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
A friend of mine was riding his motorcycle in the fast lane on a somewhat crowded freeway. Some lady in a Titan passed him on the shoulder, and then cut him off. He downshifted and punched her passenger mirror as he passed her, and broke it off. Stupid b*tch probably wet her depends. So, karma does come around, just sometimes quicker than others.

Old 10-02-2005, 09:12 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
That one was behind you. They usually get in front of me and then go 15 mph under the limit on a no pass road.

BTW, nice shots.

Old 10-03-2005, 01:21 AM
Banned by Moderators
Jeff thanks for the story it made me laugh believe me if I had the opportunity to cause damage to his precious man hood of a lifted truck I would. There are a handful of Red necks in Colorado. I had the feelings that I should follow him home Slice his tires and write "FROM THE PORSH STUPID F'N RED NECK" along the side of his 50' pickup In Yellow spray paint. But I was sane and wrote down his plate in case of major damage along with the other cars plate that was effected by the incedent.

Old 10-03-2005, 03:45 AM
DCM
DCM is infamous around these parts
SANDOVAL, great pics. We have a group going for one final drive of the season on 10/09/05. It's usually a good diverse group. Let me know if your intersested in joining us. At the very least, you will get to see one of MANA's beasts.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Banned by Moderators
I have inlaws coming into town... SO YES! I would definatley be interested. What is the plan?

Old 10-04-2005, 09:07 AM
dgray996 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the pics! The 3rd one is my fav

Old 10-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Orient Express is infamous around these parts
I am curious about what lane you were in when the fellow in the Ford was on your tail. If you were in the far right hand lane when this happened, then you should have just slowed down until he became exasperated and passed you.

If you were in the left hand lane when this happened and did not yield to him to let him pass, then shame on on you. Being in a Porsche does not give you special privileges or to be the guardian of the left lane. The proper thing to always do in situations like this is to yield to the right. Let the person behind you pass. There will always be an opening on the right side you can get into. Once the person behind you has passed, then you can be on your way.

If you had yielded to this fellow, this would not have happened, and you would not be relating this story to us. Next time, be an example to other motorists and yield the lane.

There will always be situations where you encounter other drivers that are less mature than you. By yielding to them, you teach them an important driving skill.

Nice pictures of that area. Did you drive up to the top of Mount Evans? At over 14K ft, it is the highest paved road in the US.

Old 10-04-2005, 09:53 AM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
my996 is infamous around these parts
Re: Took a trip up to Mt. Evans... some road rage NO 56K

Originally posted by SANDOVAL
I tried to speed up to escape the flying rocks but the car in front of me prohibited going any further. So he dusted about 5 cars before making his move back into traffic. No harm done to the car even though I could hear the rocks he kicked up.
Your car is camouflaged in those pictures. Very nice.

BTW, I was driving my pick up (Beast) in Colorado this weekend to check out the fall changes. I got a call on my two-way from the skinning shop that someone else might be trying to take off with the best ‘coon skins in town. I’m stuck in this bumper-to-bumper traffic headed back. Only way to git the F outta dodge is to ride the shoulder and git going. Man – that’s what lifts were built fer. Some punk in his little yellow love bug thought he could stop the beast. Man was he wrong. Had to show him who the man was. I was ‘bout to git out just to tell him to drive a real AMERICAN car you commie bastard, but I let him go seeing as I swear I made him **** a brick when I out ran his car in a clear drag down the road. Will these people never learn? Oh well, next time he’ll know best to step off when I’m ON baby!!!!!

Couldn’t help it – had to get that out.

Old 10-04-2005, 09:58 AM
alrova is infamous around these parts
nice picks, LOL

Old 10-04-2005, 10:32 AM
Banned by Moderators
Orient. Again this was a packed freeway (I70 on a Saturday afternoon) I would have had to either cut someone off or make an unsafe lane change by speeding up to get into a tight spot with little room in front of or behind me. The timing was short it may have been as little as 2 minutes before he got the hot head. At some point there would have been a spot I could have safely moved over but in the time frame we are talking about it was not safe. You may think it is wrong but on a busy freeway with the traffic in all lanes moving the same speed I will not move over to let someone pass if there is nowhere for them to go. This is a 4 lane freeway I was on. I was in the fast lane going with the speed of traffic Both the left and the 2nd to the left were going at the same speed. There was a line of cars all within reasonable distance as far as I could see. So If I were to move over and let the ******* pass I would have made a dangerous lane change at high speeds in heavy traffic to let the guy do the same thing to the car only 10 or so car lengths in front of me. The car in front of him was less and so on. I don't feel I am better then anyone else I don't drive on the freeway reckless and I am 100% courteous to other drivers. The guy was a dick and that was all there was to it. Even if the freeway was desolate and we were the only cars on the freeway what he did is still dangerous what if he hit a patch of sand with all of that torque he could have caused a serious accident endangering himself and more importantly ME.

Last edited by SANDOVAL; 10-04-2005 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:52 PM
Orient Express is infamous around these parts
Sandoval:

Unfortunately, you and many others were in the wrong lane that day. This is a good lesson that the left lane is for passing, not for cruising, no matter what the traffic density. If you had been in the right lane, this would have not happened to you. As soon as you saw this fellow closing on you, your right blinker should have come on, and you should have started to find an opening. Those in the right lane will see your situation, and open a space for you. Further this guy on your *** would have seen that you were yielding, and probably would have not acted in the way you describe.

I realize that you feel wronged, but regardless of what others were doing, you were in the wrong lane. It is not your place to decide if someone should pass you or not. All of your "what ifs" would not be an issue if you had been in the right lane, or had yielded to him. If someone closes on you to pass, you need to yield, no matter how dangerous or stupid that you may feel they are acting. It is the law. Those signs "slower traffic stay right" say it all.

The #1 cause of highway congestion in the US today is folks driving in the wrong lane. This is the compromise of safety, and is unlawful. Further, it appears in the mid-west (and mountain) folks tend to operate vehicles in an even more wildly than here on the west coast, further jeopardizing the situation.

Remember, unless you are passing another vehicle, then you should be driving in the farthest right lane.

The old saying "Drive like a Republican, stay far to the right!" holds true here.

As Porsche owners we all know that others will notice us when we drive, some will want to challenge us etc. It is important that because of this visibility that we set the example for other in our driving skills. This includes lane discipline.

I for one make an extra effort not to drive in the left lane except when passing(and I do that at every opportunity ). I notice that others that may be cruising in the left lane are passed by me, they tend to get over to the right on their own. When all lanes are traveling at the same speed, it is even more important to get to the right, so the congestion will ease, and allow the left lane to be better utilized.

Old 10-04-2005, 08:09 PM
Banned by Moderators
I understand the logic and I understand your point but it is just unrealistic in some cases. specially in California there are times when the Freeway is just busy the fast lane does go faster then the others but you can't go faster then the speed limit due to the amount of traffic on the road. the fast lane was traveling aproximatley 5MPH over the speed limit the lane next to us was traveling the same. I think we will agree to disagree on this one. In this situation it just does not make sense to move over every time there is someone who wants to go faster to then sit behind them and get to the destination at the same time. To many cars on the freeway that day to support your logic.

Last edited by SANDOVAL; 10-04-2005 at 08:53 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Took a trip up to Mt. Evans... some road rage NO 56K