996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Question on moving heating controls...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 11:58 AM
Wheat is infamous around these parts
Question on moving heating controls...

Has anyone moved their hvac head unit from the top bay in the console down to the lower bay. If so, have you had any problems/issues?

Thanks.

Rob

Old 11-15-2003, 12:21 PM
tsweat is infamous around these parts
I did this when I added the cupholder option to my car. Fairly easy to do, and have not had any issues with the controls since the move. If moving the control unit to the area where the storage bin is located, you will need to go to the parts department and get a new trim piece. The current piece around the controls is not tapered like the opening for the storage bin.

Basic Instructions

1) Pop off the trim pieces with a flat tool.
2) Remove the AC control unit
3) Remove the Empty Bin
4) Re-route the wires for the control unit to the new opening (may require removing the radio -- I did it the hard way without removing the radio since I had just paid a lot of money for a custom stereo set-up)
5) Insert the AC control unit in the empty hole (mine required a pretty good amount of force to slide in all the way)
6) Install cup holders (I assume this is what you are doing??)
7) Replace trim pieces
8) Enjoy

Good luck, and let me know if you need any more help.

Old 11-15-2003, 12:21 PM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
I have and had 0 problems or issues.. you don need to buy a different trim piece to go around it.. I can get the part number if you need it

Old 11-15-2003, 01:03 PM
Wheat is infamous around these parts
what I'm doing

Thanks for the info.

I'm installing a pioneer nav+head unit. Like the alpine, the pioneer screen is motorized, stored horizontally and moves out then flips up vertically. If installed in the 3rd bay from the top (where the cd holder is now), it will barely cover the lower buttons on the hvac unit, which really isn't a problem for me. Then I thought to maybe move the hvac unit to the lowest bay in the console where the storage bin is now. I guess the only downside is there's not much depth where the hvac unit is currently to use for storage. What do you think?

If you have the part # handy, that would be great otherwise I'll just call the parts dept. Monday.

Thanks.

Rob

Old 11-15-2003, 10:24 PM
auclutch is infamous around these parts
how much is the trim piece and what is the part number? thanks... p.s. any tips on how to remove the head unit without tripping the alarm?

Old 11-16-2003, 12:30 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
$5 part #996 552 339 00

I moved mine for the same reason..

Auclutch.. there is a ground wire that attached to the frame of the stock unit.. I believe if you just keep that grounded it won't affect the alarm... i maybe wrong though.. I just disconnected that stupid horn that beeps, its next to the battery..

Last edited by Kevin M; 11-16-2003 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:45 AM
wow thanks for all the info~ great job on moving your a/c control unit~ the pictures look great! Did you also place in those two little buttons at the bottom? what are they for?

Old 11-16-2003, 11:12 AM
Modaholic
Your welcome... the two buttons were from a Carbon Fiber piece that I had.. they are the cutouts if you have heated seats.. I replaced it with this one...

Old 11-17-2003, 01:22 PM
b u t ee ful~~~ nice job and thanks for the help~ p.s. you wouldn't happen to know what the part number is for the double din dash panel would you? i.e. i'm putting in a pcm unit instead of the stock head unit and i want to find out the part number for the double din plastic piece to replace my single din one. thanks!`

Old 11-17-2003, 01:40 PM
Modaholic
The retaining frame is 996 642 103 01..
I dont know what the part number is for the upper console piece around the nav..

I came up with 996 552 131 02 & 996 552 131 05
Not sure if one is the nav frame..