996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

BMC Air Filter rubber casing disintegrated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 06:38 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
BMC Air Filter rubber casing disintegrated

after removing my stock air box for the new intake. I notice the BMC air filter rubber casing was disintegrated. It's all sticky & gooey. I'm just glad the stock box have a wire mesh inside to catch the rubber from sucking thru the intake.

anyone else have the BMC filter in their OEM box. I would recommend you check it just to be safe.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BMC filter1.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	415912   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMC filter2.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	415913  
Old 03-10-2015, 06:43 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Wowza.....I'd contact BMC and show them the pics, that doesn't look good, almost like something got on it.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:44 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
I have one and it's fine thus far.

How long have you had it and how many times did you wash it? Did you let it air dry in the sun?

Usually uv rays, oil, heat or any combination can deteriorate poly.

You should still contact BMC about it though considering they are a premium filter brand.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:28 AM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
My thinking is that someone(PO?) cleaned the filter with something way too strong, like that purple cleaner that the PH is so basic it shrivels ur hands, just sayin..

Old 03-10-2015, 10:36 AM
dporto is infamous around these parts
"cleaned the filter with something way too strong, like that purple cleaner that the PH is so basic it shrivels ur hands"

Sounds like "super-clean"... That would be Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) - yes it's brutal stuff! It's a great de-greaser, but you have to be very careful as to what you use it on, how strong a solution you use and how long you leave it on whatever it is you're trying to clean. If you're not careful you can do some serious damage (not to mention physical damage to you or other persons).

Old 03-10-2015, 12:20 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
If you're going to clean these filters why not just get the kit?

Old 03-10-2015, 04:56 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by alpine003
How long have you had it and how many times did you wash it? Did you let it air dry in the sun?
I bought it brand new sealed over 5-7 yrs ago (couldn't remember exact), I still have the BMC box to store the OEM filter. It has NEVER been wash before. Believe or not, the filter is not that dirty underneath.

could it be the heat that causes it to deteriorate. The car always park in the garage especially on hot summer days in TX.

Originally Posted by FLA996TT
If you're going to clean these filters why not just get the kit?
I do have the cleaning kit for my other cars but just never use it for this filter b/c its not really that dirty.

Last edited by MkC2S; 03-16-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:58 PM
NIKAS is infamous around these parts
Okay product while it lasted - terrible customer service

I also had sub-par service life from my first BMC filter and appalling customer service response from them. The delicate cotton membrane developed large "non-filtering" perforations after a few routine "kit" cleanings and "kit" oilings. No harsh chemicals or high pressure ever applied. They gradually became larger and larger holes. I asked BMC about it and they claimed after 'their analysis of photos' that I must have either used 'harsh chemicals' or deliberately 'burned and melted the material with an open flame'!! They also claimed they had never had a filter failure in 25 years. Well children, as we can see, that's not exactly true.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:06 PM
I've contacted BMC but no reply. go figured.
look like I'll go with K&N instead. at least they offer a million miles warranty.

Last edited by MkC2S; 03-16-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by MkC2
I've contacted BMC but no reply. go figured.
look like I'll go with K&N instead. at least they offer a million miles warranty.
what a coincidence, after I posted this. I got an email from BMC.

I just want to know if there's any warranty after owning for yrs like K&N with their million miles warranty.
Guess not

Attached Images  

Last edited by MkC2S; 03-16-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:37 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
I really don't understand companies like these. Any smart business knows when dealing with the high end crowd service and reputation is EVERYTHING.

BMC is shooting themselves in the foot by not offering any.

ALSO, any smart company knows it's better to rectify a situation for measly $30(their cost) than to risk a LOT more from a tarnished reputation on the internet and trying to do damage control after the fact.

I truly hope they are reading this and getting enlightened by it. They and others need to change the way they do business, especially in the internet age IMO.

I no longer want to have this product in my arsenal and will probably sell it just like I sold my Fabspeed products.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:08 AM
Good post, I for one will never buy a BMC filter after seeing their response.

Alpine...I couldn't agree with you more.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:10 AM
And did they explain to you why any sane person would purposely burn their filter??

No, thought so. That was a totally moronic response on their part.

Originally Posted by NIKAS
I also had sub-par service life from my first BMC filter and appalling customer service response from them. The delicate cotton membrane developed large "non-filtering" perforations after a few routine "kit" cleanings and "kit" oilings. No harsh chemicals or high pressure ever applied. They gradually became larger and larger holes. I asked BMC about it and they claimed after 'their analysis of photos' that I must have either used 'harsh chemicals' or deliberately 'burned and melted the material with an open flame'!! They also claimed they had never had a filter failure in 25 years. Well children, as we can see, that's not exactly true.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:40 AM
TSAF NKUF is infamous around these parts
Dang! Almost ordered some bmc filters from pelican parts. I might have to rethink this.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:42 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by alpine003
I really don't understand companies like these. Any smart business knows when dealing with the high end crowd service and reputation is EVERYTHING.

BMC is shooting themselves in the foot by not offering any.

ALSO, any smart company knows it's better to rectify a situation for measly $30(their cost) than to risk a LOT more from a tarnished reputation on the internet and trying to do damage control after the fact.

I truly hope they are reading this and getting enlightened by it. They and others need to change the way they do business, especially in the internet age IMO.

I no longer want to have this product in my arsenal and will probably sell it just like I sold my Fabspeed products.

+ 1

Sometimes its a wery stupid idea to be cheap.!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BMC Air Filter rubber casing disintegrated