996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

reply to teflon jones

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 08:53 PM
nsx4pete is infamous around these parts
reply to teflon jones

I cant post replies, I just registered and it lets me post threads but not repliies, so I am replying via a new thread. Sorry about this inconvenience.

The noise is more noticable in gears 2-6. it is probably there in 1st also but hard to discern. It seems more prominent at 2200ish to about 3300-3600 rpms. above that it seems to not be as loud. I can only describe it as a loud mechanical whirring sound. like a non lubricated bearing or something. It stops when I take my foot off the gas and returns when I apply throttle to speed up or to just maintain speed. Any throttle applied causes the sound.
Your line of questioning is so spot on, I wanted to describe all this in the original post but thought it would be too much for someone to go through. What are your thoughts?
thanx

Old 10-31-2005, 09:57 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Thanks for the additional info. I have a couple of hunches, but I could still use a little more info. How many miles are on the car? And what year is it? From the tail lights it looks like it's a 99. If you floor it, is the noise louder than if you just hit the gas hard enough to maintain speed? Can you hear the noise in reverse? When did you first hear the noise? Did it appear after a service, or after rain, or some incident? Has the noise gotten worse over time?