996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Anyone have a ducktail spoiler on their C4S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Valkuri is a jewel in the roughValkuri is a jewel in the roughValkuri is a jewel in the rough
Anyone have a ducktail spoiler on their C4S?

I've considered a ducktail on my C4S for quite awhile---roughly since the first duck tailed 911 hurtled past me on a highway in 1975, before I had a driver's license nor income to even consider buying one. The problem, in part is that few aftermarket options exist (I believe MA Shaw has one, though I've only seen 997 pix), and getting it just right on each generation of the 911 is a matter of proportions: Particularly since the C4S lid is subtly different from the others.

The new 991 iteration elegantly reproduces the look of the original 70's piece. The MA Shaw piece looks good on the 997, and the RUF wing looks excellent. For $5000. There's no shortage of wings on the market for the standard 996: Some functional, some good looking, and some IMO are just garish and clumsy. I don't race; I don't spend much time worrying about whether I 'need' marginal downforce below 60mph---I just like the darned things, and that's it.

I welcome input from wiser and more experienced owners, and particularly posts of any images of 996 C4S's with true ducktail aftermarket wings. Either they look great, or...I'll save some money and post purchase angst.
Thanks!

Old 05-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
As a former 996 C4S owner, my advice is to leave it alone! The 996 C4S has one of the best looking rear ends of any 911 ever made. That includes the tail lights, in my opinion. Every time I see a 996 C4S I still drool...

I understand the appeal of the duck tail and the desire to modify the car, but I just feel like it's defacing a piece of artwork!

That's my 2 cents worth.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:05 PM
bernard.barbour is infamous around these partsbernard.barbour is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dennis C
As a former 996 C4S owner, my advice is to leave it alone! The 996 C4S has one of the best looking rear ends of any 911 ever made. That includes the tail lights, in my opinion. Every time I see a 996 C4S I still drool...

I understand the appeal of the duck tail and the desire to modify the car, but I just feel like it's defacing a piece of artwork!

That's my 2 cents worth.
+1 Dennis

Old 05-03-2015, 10:40 PM
Valkuri is a jewel in the roughValkuri is a jewel in the roughValkuri is a jewel in the rough

Well...yes. Much to be said for the 'leave it alone' approach, which is why I'd like to see examples of the alternatives, before I run out and deface an already appealing vehicle.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:30 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Beautiful C4S. Midnight Blue Metallic? It looks just like my old one.

Believe me... I get it. I understand the desire to make it your own. But damn... it looks good the way it is....

Here's a shot of my 996 C4S:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0482.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	419680  

Last edited by Dennis C; 05-03-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:52 AM
bernard.barbour is infamous around these partsbernard.barbour is infamous around these parts
Beautiful C4S. Midnight Blue Metallic? It looks just like my old one.

Believe me... I get it. I understand the desire to make it your own. But damn... it looks good the way it is....

Here's a shot of my 996 C4S:
Wow, these cars are beautiful in Blue. White and Blue are my favorite colors on these cars. Even though my is Silver, giving the opportunity I would have purchased a white one if I had found that color when I was looking. There was a Blue one (Cab) on ebay a few months back with the brown interior. Oh man what a great looker. Cheers

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6179.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	911.4 KB
ID:	419681  
Old 05-04-2015, 06:54 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
C4S = Best looking car from the rear. I also considered a wing but decided not to.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:07 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of

That's my 2 cents worth.
+996
don't do it, they are fugly (IMO), but hey its your car. Don't let us stop you from doing what you like. Pics are not from C4S but you get the ideas.

Attached Images    
Old 05-04-2015, 09:02 PM
It's hard to argue the contrary, here. Amazing that your C4S matches mine Dennis, but for your tan interior---which, I think looks better than the grey in mine.

So, perhaps I'll just live without the wing. Maybe find an engineless roller somewhere, to build into an old style air-cooled 911.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Valkuri
It's hard to argue the contrary, here. Amazing that your C4S matches mine Dennis, but for your tan interior---which, I think looks better than the grey in mine.

So, perhaps I'll just live without the wing. Maybe find an engineless roller somewhere, to build into an old style air-cooled 911.
It's your car and you should modify it however you see fit. I was just expressing my opinion.

I love the Sport Techno wheels on your C4S. Those aren't too common.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the input, all.
I believe I will leave well enough alone---but for the Fabspeed carbon intake and boxload of DB Carbon interior parts that arrived this week.

Pictures and review to follow, soon!

Old 05-06-2015, 04:45 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Valkuri
Thanks for the input, all.
I believe I will leave well enough alone---but for the Fabspeed carbon intake and boxload of DB Carbon interior parts that arrived this week.

Pictures and review to follow, soon!
IF you get the Fabspeed Competion CAI (the one w/2 filter). Just make sure you adjust it far right as possible or else you'll get a rubbing from the deck lid fan.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:14 PM
Great advice---thanks!

Old 05-07-2015, 06:41 AM
bgx-9101 is infamous around these parts

Old 05-08-2015, 10:24 AM
dbTarga996 is infamous around these parts
This ducktail above me looks great.

OP, I've got a Misha ducktail on my targa and I would say if you are going to do one for the c4s , get one from Getty which is molded into the trunk. Be the first C4S to do it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a ducktail spoiler on their C4S?