996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Coolant leak over DS exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 07:23 AM
Engbull is infamous around these parts
Coolant leak over DS exhaust

My '99 Coupe is leaking coolant over the driver's side exhaust, (under where the resovoir is located).

Is it common for these resovoirs to leak?

I have checked hoses, cap and seams along resovoir and came up with nothing...but when I drive it for any length of time I can smell the leak on the exhaust; and when parked, a puddle will form.

Any ideas?

Old 11-17-2005, 10:17 AM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
Re: Coolant leak over DS exhaust

oh yes, it's a common problem. it is probably leaking from the sensor at the very bottom of the tank. seems porsche is on the third generation of the coolant expansion tank and hopefully the third is the charm. i just replaced mine myself, no biggie for the shade tree mechanic.

Originally posted by Engbull
My '99 Coupe is leaking coolant over the driver's side exhaust, (under where the resovoir is located).

Is it common for these resovoirs to leak?

I have checked hoses, cap and seams along resovoir and came up with nothing...but when I drive it for any length of time I can smell the leak on the exhaust; and when parked, a puddle will form.

Any ideas?

Old 11-22-2005, 08:19 PM
ras1325 is infamous around these parts
Same thing happened to me a month ago in my 2000 C4. There was a small crack in tank. I had it replaced and everything seems fine.

It was definitely an sh*t" feeling though when I first saw a gigantic puddle of coolant under my exhaust.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
I replaced mine when I picked up my 911. it was leaking quite a bit. the tank I bought from Sunset in Oregon. i installed it. took about 45 min total to do. Install is pretty easy. IM if you need some assistance

Old 11-22-2005, 10:45 PM
I just added dye to the coolant so I can track the leak with a black light...I still can't tell where it is coming from...if it is the coolant resovoir, I will be sure to IM ya for assistance! Thanks for your replys!

Old 11-22-2005, 11:10 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
The coolant tank leak is very well documented as a known flaw - the exhaust heat causes small cracks in the tank, which eventually lead to leaks. It's so well known within Porsche that you should be able to get some help from them on the repair. When my 99 started to leak earlier this year, the regional Porsche rep covered 75% of the cost (parts and labor), so my out of pocket was like $100. No leaks since with the new tank.

Good luck!

Old 11-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Regional Porsche Rep...hmmm...lucky you! Maybe I will call the dealership and pleade my case!

Thanks for the tip!

Old 11-23-2005, 10:14 AM
DBS996 is infamous around these parts
I had the same issue when I picked my car up (a 99') used w/7000 miles. It was the most frustrating thing to have to do immediately after picking up a new(er) ride. It smelled like burnt sugar after every long drive.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:18 AM
I spoke to the local dealership...the only way they can make goodwill concessions is if (1) the car is within 12 months (post warranty) and (2) I am the original owner....but thanks again for the advice, maybe it will help someone else!

Old 11-23-2005, 09:00 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
More than a common problem... WAY MORE than common!

Old 11-23-2005, 10:03 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Engbull
I spoke to the local dealership...the only way they can make goodwill concessions is if (1) the car is within 12 months (post warranty) and (2) I am the original owner....but thanks again for the advice, maybe it will help someone else!
FWIW, I'm the 3rd owner of my car, although it is CPO. However, the coolant tank is not covered under the CPO program and they still managed to get the regional Porsche NA guy to kick in. I guess it all depends on how much your dealer pushes it for you.

BTW, I think the Porsche CPO program basically sucks - I have yet to have any items I needed repaired actually covered by the stupid thing. It's nothing like an extension of the factory warranty like other luxury marques.

Old 11-24-2005, 04:43 PM
s.bjorn.hoffman is infamous around these parts
Just had my coolant tank replaced. (C4 -99 with 50 000 miles)

Old 11-26-2005, 12:44 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally posted by leftlane
BTW, I think the Porsche CPO program basically sucks - I have yet to have any items I needed repaired actually covered by the stupid thing. It's nothing like an extension of the factory warranty like other luxury marques.
That's because it's not an extension of the factory warranty! What you get is actually a warranty from a third party warranty company. This is not handled by PCNA, but by each individual dealership, so the CPO warranty you get from one dealership can (and most probably is) through a different company than another dealership.

Porsche does not offer extended factory warranties.

Old 11-26-2005, 10:01 PM
MY CPO warranty is directly with Porsche NA - registered with them and not dependent on the selling dealer whatsoever. It is an extension of the original warranty, but on a "named component" basis, meaning there is a list of items that are covered and not covered. This list is exactly the same at every single Porsche dealership you go to. Not sure where you got the info that it is handled through a third party, because it's not.

Old 01-28-2006, 10:58 AM
Ken7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the rough
I've got the exact same leak. I called my dealer and they're no help. They said it would cost 600+ to replace. How difficult is it to replace the tank? Do you replace the tank or just the sensor or is the sensor built into the tank. Are there instructions anywhere? Where can I find the phone # for the Colorado Porsche rep. I doubt my dealer even made a call. Thanks a lot.

Ken

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak over DS exhaust