996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Strange noise on highspeed turns

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 09:28 AM
dailydriver is infamous around these parts
Strange noise on highspeed turns

I started hearing a really strange noise recently, I tried searching the forums but I'm not sure how to even craft a search that would cover this.

On my way to work there is an exit ramp with a wide sweeping left turn that is beautifully banked and a little hard to resist when the road is clear of other cars. As I accelerate through that turn and cross 90 mph I start to hear an obnoxious noise that I can only describe as the sound you hear if you drift off the highway and hit the rumble strips. The first time I heard it I actually though I took a bad line and got onto the shoulder....

It is very difficult to tell where the noise is coming from, but my best guess would be the right rear tire. Any thoughts on what the issue could be or where to start troubleshooting it?

I don't experience the issue under acceleration when going straight even at speeds above 90. And the same turn at 80 mph or any other slow turns does not cause any noise.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:09 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Have you checked your tires? Almost sounds like a defect. Also, look underneath to see if all the under panels are tight. Yeah, that turn is a pretty good on and when you exit it's nice and straight.

Edit:
At that speed the wing should be deployed, check the rubber rear wall that connects the wing to the deck lid, could be it's loose.

Last edited by FLA996TT; 09-10-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:55 PM
dailydriver is infamous around these parts
hadn't thought to check the wing... I'll take a look at that. Would think it would do the same on a straight, but worth checking out for sure.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:01 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dailydriver
I started hearing a really strange noise recently, I tried searching the forums but I'm not sure how to even craft a search that would cover this.

On my way to work there is an exit ramp with a wide sweeping left turn that is beautifully banked and a little hard to resist when the road is clear of other cars. As I accelerate through that turn and cross 90 mph I start to hear an obnoxious noise that I can only describe as the sound you hear if you drift off the highway and hit the rumble strips. The first time I heard it I actually though I took a bad line and got onto the shoulder....

It is very difficult to tell where the noise is coming from, but my best guess would be the right rear tire. Any thoughts on what the issue could be or where to start troubleshooting it?

I don't experience the issue under acceleration when going straight even at speeds above 90. And the same turn at 80 mph or any other slow turns does not cause any noise.
Second the good advice to check the tires.

All I can add is some nanny system -- PSM or traction control -- is kicking in because the cornering speed might be causing the rear tires to break loose.

There is also the possibility that the inside rear tire is lifting a bit and spinning which it is wont to do with no LSD present.

It occurred to me the noise might be coming from the inside front tire which under the high speed cornering is getting "light" and you are experiencing at 90mph the scrubbing the inside front tire does at lower speeds.

Check the tires. Check the panels under the car are ok. I often spot other cars on the road with obvious panel damage and panels hanging down -- one the other was flapping like crazy as the car drove down the road -- and a Porsche is no different in this regard.