996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Wheels that are not forged, Track use??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 11:22 AM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
Wheels that are not forged, Track use??

I am considering buying new wheels for my 996 C2 Coupe.

It is a daily driver that is used at Autocross 5-6 times a year and I want to start going to a couple of DE next summer.

I am not too hot on the idea of purchasing wheels that are not forged.

Also, some MFGs state semi forged and rotary forged, neither of which I now what they mean.

Any racers out there that can ring on on this please.

TY
David

Old 10-26-2015, 01:59 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
I'm no expert but forged are stronger and lighter.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:10 PM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
That's what I thought, I think OEM wheels are forged, but not sure.
I cannot find any definitive spec in PCA rules either.

QUOTE=FLA996TT;4419594]I'm no expert but forged are stronger and lighter.[/QUOTE]

Old 10-26-2015, 02:16 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
This is pretty good, I would think multi piece wheels wouldn't be good on the track and cast wouldn't be as strong.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/....jsp?techid=90

Old 10-26-2015, 02:31 PM
ty, that is a good article

Old 10-26-2015, 02:48 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
OZ wheels are cast and they have been used for racing for decades. Yes, forged is more desired and is usually lighter but a good set of cast wheels are fine on the track.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:18 PM
So having forged wheels is not a spec requirement for PCA?

QUOTE=Ynot;4419639]OZ wheels are cast and they have been used for racing for decades. Yes, forged is more desired and is usually lighter but a good set of cast wheels are fine on the track.[/QUOTE]

Old 10-26-2015, 08:54 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NYoutftr
So having forged wheels is not a spec requirement for PCA?

QUOTE=Ynot;4419639]OZ wheels are cast and they have been used for racing for decades. Yes, forged is more desired and is usually lighter but a good set of cast wheels are fine on the track.
[/QUOTE]

I am not sure what your local PCA requirements are but no, forged wheels are not required.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:59 PM
Ok thanks, I did not want to buy a set of wheels only to find out later I could not do a DE event.
Our local PCA is Central New York, we do events at Watkins Glen International Speedway.
I have never done one, I can't wait till I do

Old 10-27-2015, 10:30 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I don't think that all OE wheels are forged. You'll be fine with cast wheels.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:59 AM
Former Vendor
ModBargains is infamous around these parts
Forgestars are flow formed, so technically speaking they're not really forged (though the other term for flow formed is rotary forged). Since it's for the track if you have specific requirements on sizing and offsets that you require, having a set of Forgestars made for you isn't a bad idea if you can wait to have them made for you (takes some time like Forged wheel manufacturers do as well). A set of 18"s starts at $1399, and 19"s start at $1599 so the price point is about 1/3rd to 1/4th of the cost of a Forged set, but still is lightweight and still has good strength for the track. I've got plenty of guys using them for track use, so you may want to consider that as well.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:10 PM
Thank you for the input, now I know what rotary forge is.
I have been eye balling the Techart formula wheels, I like that style, not sure.
I want color to match and polished lips.
With dark red it really narrows it down to just a few styles that would look right.
David

QUOTE=ModBargains;4420131]Forgestars are flow formed, so technically speaking they're not really forged (though the other term for flow formed is rotary forged). Since it's for the track if you have specific requirements on sizing and offsets that you require, having a set of Forgestars made for you isn't a bad idea if you can wait to have them made for you (takes some time like Forged wheel manufacturers do as well). A set of 18"s starts at $1399, and 19"s start at $1599 so the price point is about 1/3rd to 1/4th of the cost of a Forged set, but still is lightweight and still has good strength for the track. I've got plenty of guys using them for track use, so you may want to consider that as well.[/QUOTE]

Old 10-28-2015, 07:43 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dennis C
I don't think that all OE wheels are forged. You'll be fine with cast wheels.
+996

And for the tracks, your concern should be wheel weight over design/looks. Mk2 Carrera II wheels are one of the lightest OEM wheels you can get.

As for aftermarket in a non forged configuration, OZ, Victor Innsbruck, Forgestar, Wheel Enhancement(forgot model name) are all lightweight wheels and are priced reasonably to each other and offer great value for the track.

More importantly, don't cheap it out on the tires.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:23 AM
Those are nice brands of wheels.
Appearance is important as these will also be the wheels for everyday use.
The car came with the optional 18" over the STD 17", I have been considering going 19" for the full 11" width in the rear.
The new tires I have now, only 600 miles are Continental DW.
Not sure if I would purchase again.
They really slide around at Autocross. Any suggestions on daily driver tire with some track use?

UOTE=alpine003;4420571]+996

And for the tracks, your concern should be wheel weight over design/looks. Mk2 Carrera II wheels are one of the lightest OEM wheels you can get.

As for aftermarket in a non forged configuration, OZ, Victor Innsbruck, Forgestar, Wheel Enhancement(forgot model name) are all lightweight wheels and are priced reasonably to each other and offer great value for the track.

More importantly, don't cheap it out on the tires.[/QUOTE]

Old 10-28-2015, 06:01 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
The wheels that you have on there are one of the best street/track use wheels you can have. As for tires, that's a loaded question as having dual use can always lead to compromise. Tires and suggestions would depend on your priorities(noise, wear, ride, turn in response, wet handling capabilities, environment temp range, directional,etc). If you rate your priorities, we can give you a more accurate suggestions as one set of tires does not fit all in this case.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheels that are not forged, Track use??