996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Electric troubles in 996 C4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 06:51 AM
Andrenunes is infamous around these parts
Electric troubles in 996 C4S

Any body can help me to find a resolution for an electric problem?

My 996 start to make very strange electric things. First don't open the front trunk after don't moves the windows and now the car keys don't look the car and even the radio's gone :'(
I made a diagnosis and nothing appears...

Any suggestions?

Best regards
Andre Nunes

Old 01-08-2016, 07:30 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
How old is your battery? I've noticed that Porsches tend to exhibit unusual electrical behaviors when the battery begins to fail. My 996 C4S was very hard on batteries. They only lasted 2 - 3 years.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:09 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Battery is bad.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:30 AM
only that?
Battery? Oh my God
Originally Posted by FLA996TT
Battery is bad.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:34 AM
Yes my battery have something like 5 years old...
I will be really happy if it's battery only.

After change the battery... Must I make anything special to reprogram something?

Old 01-08-2016, 09:00 AM
And what battery I must buy, what AH and power?
I bought this car a few months and I have no information about it...

Old 01-08-2016, 09:31 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
You'll need your radio code. You'll need to reset one-touch windows and sunroof.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:51 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Andrenunes
I go with Interstate H7 / CCA 790

Old 01-09-2016, 12:43 AM
Thanks to everyone...

Old 01-09-2016, 08:01 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Go DiHard AGM, keep a trickle charger in the lighter socket when you change it and you won't need any codes.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:25 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Yes my battery have something like 5 years old...
I will be really happy if it's battery only.

After change the battery... Must I make anything special to reprogram something?
As Dennis C mentioned you might need the radio code. Depends upon the model year of the car.

Also, the window limits need to be reset. The steps should be in the owners manual. From memory and I think this works for the 996s is use the lower button to bring the window all the way down. Release the button.

Then use the raise button to raise the window all the way up. But once up continue to hold the button for at least 5 seconds then release the raise button. Repeat with the other window.

You should also perform a calibration of the E-Gas throttle if your car has this feature, of course.

Again from memory: With your foot off the gas pedal turn the key to the ignition on position. Do not start the engine. Leave the ignition on for 60 seconds. Turn the key to the ignition off position and leave the ignition off for 10 seconds. The next time the engine is started the E-Gas calibration is complete.

The DME will relearn what it needs to relearn by just driving the car around normally. Depending upon various things the engine might be a bit rougher upon cold start after the battery has been disconnected but this roughness should pass quickly and be relatively low key, hardly indistinguishible from the normal roughess at cold start.

There should be no other untoward behavior afterwards though.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:32 AM
Thanks to everyone...

Old 01-11-2016, 10:12 AM
Rusty Heap is infamous around these parts
I knew about the reseting window technique, but what about the sunroof?

Honestly on mine, the Forward and Backward arrow switch makes no sense on how to operate, even the center round button. I just keep pressing and pushing in random patterns to get it to raise or slide back......

Last edited by Rusty Heap; 02-29-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:03 AM
UrsaMinor1 is infamous around these partsUrsaMinor1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Rusty Heap
I knew about the reseting window technique, but what about the sunroof?
Honestly on mind, the Forward and Backward arrow switch makes no sense on how to operate, even the center round button. I just keep pressing and pushing in random patterns to get it to raise or slide back......
Same seems to apply with my climate controls, most illogical ever. I can never figure out which button does what and randomly press until I get the air clearing the glass or heating the cabin via the vents. Press and pray

Old 01-12-2016, 01:03 AM
berlysario is infamous around these parts
I've noticed that Porsches tend to exhibit unusual electrical behaviors when the battery begins to fail

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Electric troubles in 996 C4S