996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Extreme Motocars 996 to 997 mirror conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 01:23 PM
Porsche_Shiftin04 is infamous around these partsPorsche_Shiftin04 is infamous around these parts
Extreme Motocars 996 to 997 mirror conversion

Today I decided it was the day I would start on my 996 to 997 mirror conversion from Extreme Motorcars. I figured like my front end conversion I would take detailed pics and notes. To start, this kit is awesome. Exact replicas of the 997 mirror that will fit to the 996 chasis. The mirrors are good hard plastic that won't break. As always Jeff at Extreme was awesome! Shipping came very quick and he even sent an email that explains the install.

Now, to get into the install!! The mirrors do not come with the glass, motor or brackets. But, no worries, all your 996 parts will fit right on these mirrors. That's what makes these mirrors so awesome!! You can have the 997 mirrors at half the price as other conversions that come with it all together. In the package will also be a tool that extreme made to ease the process of getting off the spring on the inside of the mirrors.

To start you will need to take the cover off on the inside of the car. You will see 3 screws (one is behind a little round foam piece) and the wire harness. The wire harness pulls right off and then remover all 3 screws. The mirrors will now come off the car.

Take mirror and turn it over. On the bottom of the mirror there is a little plastic piece with a water drain hole in it. Pull that plastic cover off. You then will be able to see the inside of the mirror assembly. If you push on the back side of the mirror lense it will pop out. Remove the two brown wires. Once that mirror itself is removed you will see the motor being held in by 3 Philips head screws. Take those off and the motor will come out. You will see on the backside of the motor a wire harness containing 3 wires. They are black, red and white.

I went halfway down the wire and cut it. You will need to add wire due to the 997 mirrors being longer. You can buy a wire harness from Extreme now that makes it plug and play. It wasn't finished in development when I bought my mirrors. So, I will be adding the wire.

On the back side of the mirror is the wire harness male end and 2 screws that hold it in. There is also two other little screws that hold the bracket to the frame. Remove all these screws. Go back to the front side of the mirror and remove the 3 screws holding the bracket to the mirror cover. Now you will be able to slide the mirror cover off.

All that will be left at this point is the bracket and the plastic housing cover. I managed to get the housing cover off but I honestly wouldn't suggest it as part of a step. The right way to do it is to pop up the bottom of the plastic cover and then remove the two rubber garments. This will allow the plastic cover to move freely. You will have to move it out of the way to get to the spring.

This step is the only hard part. The spring is tensioned and held on with a C clamp. This is where the tool that came with the kit comes in to play. You will see in my pictures the correct way to install the tool. Make sure the mirrors are in yhe folded position before starting the process. You want to tighten the tool all the way down as far as possible. The opened in the tool will allow you to get out the C clamp. The C clamp is tough to get out, you will need a couple flat head screwdrivers and a small pry bar (pry bar us not a must. Just helps). It will take some time and patience but it will come undone.

Now you're ready to start the opposite process with the 997 mirrors.

Start by putting the spring tensioner back on. Make sure to do this process with the mirrors folded as well. Then install the wire harness with extension wires and the mirror motor. Then install the mirror lens and they are ready to bolt back up to the car.

This is a fun Saturday project. I am not finished with my install, due to being sick I decided it was time for me to stop once I had both 996 mirrors removed and fully disassembled. I need to put together and install the 997 mirrors. I hope I am feeling better tomorrow and can do so. I will take more pictures when I finish the rest of this project up. Here is some detailed pics. If you have any questions please feel free to comment or inbox me.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:53 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
that look like a lot of work just to transplant the gut but kudos to you. I bought the 997 OEM mirrors instead & it look more authentic. just some minor drilling & trimming. looking forward to see how yours turn out.

Attached Images   
Old 01-09-2016, 02:56 PM
Porsche_Shiftin04 is infamous around these partsPorsche_Shiftin04 is infamous around these parts
Mkc2S, your car looks great! It does look like a lot of work but it really isn't that bad at all. Besides the fact of being sick, I enjoyed the process so far.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:58 PM
I decided even though I am sick I wanted to get one mirror at least mounted. The picture quality sucks cause it's dark out. I will get good sunlight pics once I am completed.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:42 PM
dinicor is infamous around these parts
Have you decided how you're going to finish them? Carbon inserts... etc.... Were the 996 mirrors wrapped?

Lookin' good so far!!

Old 01-09-2016, 04:57 PM
Dinicor, I forgot to mention that I ordered the carbon inserts. I really want to do them in a bright color like lime green and also the mouth of the front bumper the same. I've been back and forth about doing it. Not sure yet whether I will. I want the lime green used on the 997 GT3's.

Yes, the 996 mirrors are wrapped in csrbon.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:44 AM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
Mkc2s & shifting,
Is there a difference in width between the 997 mirrors and the conversion mirrors, it looks like the factory are a little wider, is that due to a possible different glass mirror shape?
Porsche shifting. I think a highlight or accent color looks great, however keeping it consistent throughout the car looks cleaner. I have been considering accent color of Pearl Tangerine for calipers, Porsche skidplate, and rennline tie down loops that bolt to bottom of rear shocks and front sway bar mounting bracket.
Are your calipers painted?
I have already started on the interrior accents utilizing the car color of Orient Red metallic, see photos:

I know parking brake handle needs help.
Here is the second step, Dassport Roll Bar

Old 01-10-2016, 12:39 PM
Ny, the mirrors for the conversion are the same width as stock 997 mirrors. The 997 mirrors are wider than the stock 996 mirrors. That's why the motor wires need to be extended.

I am back and forth on the accent color, that's why I haven't done it just yet. My calipers are the factory Porsche red. That's why I did my rollcage red. I brought all the colors from the outside to the inside. The interior is black with silver trim and red rollcage. The outside is black, with silver wheels and red calipers.

The interior looks AWESOME on your car!! You did an awesome job! Did you use actual automotive base and clear or spray can? You can buy base and clear in spray can form. I've been thinking about trying it on my center console and backs of my Porsche sport seats.

I have sprayed numerous cars using base and clear through a gun. I have a nice devilbliss gun and huge stand up compressor. I am back and forth with what method I want to use. The reason I am back and forth is because of over spray. I don't want to have my garage filled with over spray. I didn't mind when I had my shop but not in my brand new home. It will seep through the floor boards and everything.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:29 PM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
The console was factory option, that was nice.
The shifter I had a new boot made, because........., I got too excited with my 5k launch control from Evoms tune, and I pulled for second like the old days in my Drag car. And yup, I tore the **** and the boot ripped on half, that was at my first PCA Autocross, everybody got a good chuckle out of it.
I ordered clear & factory paint in rattle cans from a place in the North West.
Good product, but cans when weighed were only half full, but they made it right.
There is a local guy who does frame off restoration for corvettes and Street rods.
He did my bar, $300. About right.
I can't paint with a brush without getting myself covered in paint.
If you have a gun. Use it.
Rattle cans are for Little stuff.
You have money and time in your mirrors, no time to cheese out.
Can you photo shop a picture of your car and try different colors.
Post some interrior pics.
I think it would be great for others to give opinions on doing accent colors, both pro and con.
My build has been following Techart, and they do a lot of cars in Europe, they are tastefully done.
Old saying for you!!
You can buy a cheeseburger for $1 or $10, just by changing presentation, if it looks good, it tastes good.
Put that into Porsche language.
If it looks fast. It is fast

Old 01-10-2016, 01:50 PM
NY, that was the exact paint I was looking at for my interior. I've seen bumpers and stuff done from a can and you would never know. I've used something simular once and it looked awesome. I did a little blending on a BMW and you would have never known. I did the plasti dip black and glossofier on the mirrors to try it out. I don't like the way it looks. As soon as I feel better I am peeling it off and painting it. If I did the green on the mirrors and front bumper I would absolutely do all my interior trim the same color. I'd pull all the silver trim pieces out and spray them as well. I think the mirrors would look awesome lime green with the carbonfiber insert. Then the front mouth on the bumper I'd do in the lime green as well. Just as the GT3's are.

The cage looks like an exact match in pictures. That's you broke the shifter like that hahahhaha!! I'll snap a few pics of the interior once I feel better. The pictures you've shown of your car look clean. I'd never think your car has been used for autocross. I figured you were like me, a garage queen lol.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:54 PM
I also have the rest of my rollcage that I want to install. I have the bars that run all the way to the front of the car.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:18 PM
I also am going to do most of the silver painted peices inside, but I don't want too much and make it look over done.
I sure wish I could afford sport seats with clamshell.
I do really like deviated stichting, I am considering doing side air bag covers in door panels, but have not research on how to take off.
I apologize, a little bit, about all the opinions.
But some, fat old Italians from NY have personality defects, ie. More opinions than intelligence.
If you have the opportunity in April, our PCA club have a bunch of cars ( 90, last year), that go to openning weekend at Watkins Glen raceway, we all go out in porsches on the track, there are also many other clubs there like BMW, corvettes etc.

Last edited by NYoutftr; 01-10-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:37 PM
You have to cut out the black tabs on the back of the door panel. Then wheb you want to put it back on you will need some small waahers and screws. I did my lower door panels in suede. I actually did the door panels, dashboard and pilars. I ended up removing it all a year later. I want to have it all done with grey stitching. I will have it all done one day, but for now ill keep leather. But, the bottom of the door panels i left with the suede. Yeah, I am glad my car had the sport sears in it when I bought it. The silver trim in my car now is from the factory.

I would love to come up! I got to the IMSA Tudor Series race at LimeRock every year. They have a Porsche corrale and all The Porsche's get to go out on a parade lap before the race. Last year my car made LimeRock's magazine. They posted a few photos of my car on the track.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:42 PM
What city is like rock in, I heard it makes a nice P-car ride for the weekend.
When is that event.
Congratulations on the magazine article

Old 01-15-2016, 09:47 PM
It's in Lakeville CT. Not far from NY at all. It's close to Danbury and Brookfield. Yeah, it is an awesome Pcar ride. It's a gorgeous area with trees and open rode. Oh no, they didn't do an article on me (would have been cool), they posted pictures in their monthly magazine of the Tudor race and cars from the Parade lap. My car was the spotlight in a few of the photos.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Extreme Motocars 996 to 997 mirror conversion