996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Awful metal grinding sound from engine bay of C2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 01:09 PM
aerogt3 is infamous around these partsaerogt3 is infamous around these parts
Awful metal grinding sound from engine bay of C2

Hello all,

I've got a strange problem on my 2004 US spec C2 manual.... On the way home from work tonight, I started hearing a really strange metal grinding noise. It has a loud, constant hum at idle, and as the engine revs higher it starts to sound really loud - similar to the sound of a subway train grinding on the rails around a tight turn. The engine runs and drives fine, and the noise varies with engine RPM regardless of whether the car is in gear or not.

I've never heard anything like it - I really have no clue what it could be. My only idea is that the belts were replaced 4-5 months ago and made some very light squeaking afterwards...? Other than that, there we no warning signs leading up to today. Car has always run well and quietly!

Any insight would be HUGELY appreciated, as I don't have a reliable mechanic yet in this city yet!

Video of noise:

Old 02-18-2016, 04:44 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
sounds like one of the pulleys or water pump.

Last edited by MkC2S; 02-19-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:12 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
My bet is one of the idler pullies. Take the belt off and run for short bit to check if sound gone.

I don't have a reliable mechanic yet in this city yet!
Waaaahh.....?

Old 02-19-2016, 05:23 AM
Hurdigurdiman is infamous around these parts
I see a fray piece flying around with the belt rotation. The belt is worn. If the belt is old then the elasticity will have deteriorated causing the belt to be harder especially if the car has not been run regularly as it should be. I would change the belt then check pulleys for any wobble or noise. Pulleys can be changed if needed. All easy DIY work. Take a photo of the belt before removing so it goes back the same way. I think the belt on mine might be due for a change. Last change was 30,000 miles back. You say the belt was change recently so it has to be a wobbling pulley.

Last edited by Hurdigurdiman; 02-19-2016 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:54 AM
aerogt3 is infamous around these partsaerogt3 is infamous around these parts
Interesting feedback, as the pulleys and belt were allegedly changed 4-5 months ago..... car is at a mechanic who will look at it on Monday. Will report back with what they find....

Thanks for the info!