996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 C2 suspension - How to tell if shocks are shot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 07:20 AM
dkraige is infamous around these parts
996 C2 suspension - How to tell if shocks are shot

New member here, bought my first 996 last fall and am still learning about it.

Previous owner installed Eibach Pro-kit springs and Bilstein HD shocks.

When I jack my car up so the wheels are at full droop, I can pick up the front wheels by hand about 1" without too much effort. In other words I can compress the spring and shock an inch by lifting moderately, maybe exerting 50-75 lbs.

I'm wondering if this is normal. I'm suspicious that since the old owner's shop installed HDs intead of SPs with lowering springs, they've blown out. On other cars I've had (Audis), there's no way I'd be able to pick the wheel up like that. The shocks would be extremely stiff and would require full body weight to compress, not something you could just lift up on by hand. But perhaps with the much lighter front end the damper characteristics of the Porsche are just very different from what I'm used to.

Thanks for all the great content here! Hopefully I'll be able to be a contributor eventually instead of just a leech

Old 06-01-2016, 07:41 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dkraige
New member here, bought my first 996 last fall and am still learning about it.

Previous owner installed Eibach Pro-kit springs and Bilstein HD shocks.

When I jack my car up so the wheels are at full droop, I can pick up the front wheels by hand about 1" without too much effort. In other words I can compress the spring and shock an inch by lifting moderately, maybe exerting 50-75 lbs.

I'm wondering if this is normal. I'm suspicious that since the old owner's shop installed HDs intead of SPs with lowering springs, they've blown out. On other cars I've had (Audis), there's no way I'd be able to pick the wheel up like that. The shocks would be extremely stiff and would require full body weight to compress, not something you could just lift up on by hand. But perhaps with the much lighter front end the damper characteristics of the Porsche are just very different from what I'm used to.

Thanks for all the great content here! Hopefully I'll be able to be a contributor eventually instead of just a leech
It has more to do with the springs than shocks. You have Eibach Prokit which is on the soft side and also progressive in the rear.

Unless you see oil leaking on the outside or experience any floaty behavior, I don't think you should worry.

The Bilstein HD are well suited for the Pro kit btw. The Sports are only needed for more moderate lowering.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:22 AM
dporto is infamous around these parts
Hmmm, I can swear I've read this thread somewhere else...

Old 06-02-2016, 07:19 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dporto
Hmmm, I can swear I've read this thread somewhere else...
Cut and Paste. Lol

Old 06-25-2016, 06:07 PM
a3point6forme is infamous around these parts
Does anyone knows if 55k miles on a 99 996 C2 all original suspension could lead to a front nose unstable behavior (including a small squeaky noise)? does a shock/strut replacement is typically the norm? I would like to think that the oem springs are still re-usable, is that right?
thanks in advance for the input

Old 06-27-2016, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by a3point6forme
Does anyone knows if 55k miles on a 99 996 C2 all original suspension could lead to a front nose unstable behavior (including a small squeaky noise)? does a shock/strut replacement is typically the norm? I would like to think that the oem springs are still re-usable, is that right?
thanks in advance for the input
Correct, usually springs can last forever as long as they aren't rusted through.

Incorrect alignment and old tires can also contribute to front end instability. The US spec suspension where the front sits higher can also contribute at high speeds as well, especially if you don't have an aero kit.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by alpine003
Correct, usually springs can last forever as long as they aren't rusted through.

Incorrect alignment and old tires can also contribute to front end instability. The US spec suspension where the front sits higher can also contribute at high speeds as well, especially if you don't have an aero kit.
Interesting, I've always thought the front end of the US market 996 was a little high, this 996 just got new tires replaced but like I've mentioned before, there's a light rattle and feels loose, not to mention the sensation of front lift at highway speed (75 mph), will consider replace the struts/shock and install a lower spring set, thanks

Old 06-27-2016, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by performanceshock
You can always send your dampers to us for dyno analysis, the cost is $15.00 per damper.
Appreciate the offer, I'll probably get a new set, good to know there's that option, thanks