996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Pics: RUF R Kompressor (997)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 01:40 PM
XSrcing is infamous around these parts
the 20k price tag includes labor and a 2 year warranty.

and for the sake of reliability with the RUF kit, thicker head gaskets are installed to drop the compression one point.

plus, you get the legendary RUF driveability.

quick pic of all the parts included with the kit:

Last edited by XSrcing; 12-31-2005 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:40 PM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
wow that's a TIGHT kit.

i didn't know the compression lowered to 10.3:1.

the warranty is only available to new cars right and it extended to the engine?

considering all the work this kit entails, (dropping the engine, removing the heads, removing the intake manifold, etc...) i can see that there is more "value" to the kit than i previously thought. labour can easily be 5K and look at all the parts you are getting. you even get new sport cats!

you work for rufautocenter right? what type of supercharger is it? positive displacement or centrifugal? is the supercharger manufactured by Ruf or engineered/bought through another company? is redline stock or is it higher/lower?

thx

Originally posted by XSrcing
the 20k price tag includes labor and a 2 year warranty.

and for the sake of reliability with the RUF kit, thicker head gaskets are installed to drop the compression one point.

plus, you get the legendary RUF driveability.

quick pic of all the parts included with the kit:

Last edited by karlooz; 12-31-2005 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by karlooz
wow that's a TIGHT kit.

i didn't know the compression lowered to 10.3:1.

the warranty is only available to new cars right and it extended to the engine?

considering all the work this kit entails, (dropping the engine, removing the heads, removing the intake manifold, etc...) i can see that there is more "value" to the kit than i previously thought. labour can easily be 5K and look at all the parts you are getting. you even get new sport cats!

you work for rufautocenter right? what type of supercharger is it? positive displacement or centrifugal? is the supercharger manufactured by Ruf or engineered/bought through another company? is redline stock or is it higher/lower?

thx
Yes, I'm one of the technicians at RAC.

For specifics on the warranty you will have to give Wayne or Hans a call: 214-269-1570

The compressor is a centrifugal design, built by ASA Turbomex (website ) to specifications designated by RUF engineers.

Redline is kept at the stock RPM since the bottom end and valve train are left alone.

A couple other details in this kit are the air/water charge coolers that are built into the intake manifolds. Hence the center radiator and circulation pump. And the charger drive has a radial cenrifugal clutch. The clutch disengages at idle and stops the gear clash whine normally associated with superchargers.

Last edited by XSrcing; 12-31-2005 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:41 PM
bpanos is a jewel in the roughbpanos is a jewel in the roughbpanos is a jewel in the roughbpanos is a jewel in the rough
Is that right, thicker head gaskets can lower compression 1 point? Someone please explain..

Old 12-31-2005, 03:43 PM
wow that's pretty nifty. so is the clutch is engaged/disengaged based on the speed of the belts driving it relative to the speed of the supercharger? i would hope the engagement is instantaneous when accelerating off the line.

the kit is definitely well thought out.

Originally posted by XSrcing
Yes, I'm one of the technicians at RAC.

For specifics on the warranty you will have to give Wayne or Hans a call: 214-269-1570

The compressor is a centrifugal design, built by ASA Turbomex (website ) to specifications designated by RUF engineers.

Redline is kept at the stock RPM since the bottom end and valve train are left alone.

A couple other details in this kit are the air/water charge coolers that are built into the intake manifolds. Hence the center radiator and circulation pump. And the charger drive has a radial cenrifugal clutch. The clutch disengages at idle and stops the gear clash whine normally associated with superchargers.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by bpanos
Is that right, thicker head gaskets can lower compression 1 point? Someone please explain..
very possible. even more so on higher compression engines.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by bpanos
by adding a thicker spacer/gasket you have effectively increased the volume of the combustion chamber.
compression ratio is the ratio of the stroke volume of the piston (at it's lowest point to it's highest point) vs. the volume of the combustion chamber when the piston is at top dead center. when you increase the combustion chamber volume you have effectively lowered the compression ratio.

eg., if the stroke volume is 10 and the combustion chamber is 1 then the ratio is 10:1
if you increase the combustion volume to 2 and the stroke is still 10 the the ratio is 5:1

Last edited by karlooz; 12-31-2005 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:51 PM
matt360cs is infamous around these parts
perfect car
the niew wheels look really nice

Old 12-31-2005, 04:55 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Nice kit, but it is totally overengineered for what you're trying to accomplish. Good luck selling any at $20K plus

I have yet to see one of these on the road, or even any personally owned by anyone on this board or Rennlist.

I am by no means a mechanical engineer, but why lower the compression and then add boost, especially when it's such a small amount of boost using a centrifugal charger?

Where's the 3rd radiator? was it left out of the pic?

Last edited by deputydog95; 12-31-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:11 PM
yetis is infamous around these parts
DPdog, what does a Evo SC cost fully installed. Also, what is the warranty period. Finally, what is evo, or its partners stance if you have issues post install with it, do they fix on their dime or yours?

I think the 3rd radiator is right there in the middle.

Old 12-31-2005, 05:25 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Yes, you are right. The radiator is in the middle. My bad. I looked right at it, but just didn't click.

The installed price on your car (3.4liter) should be right at $11,500. It's a little more for the 3.6 liter.

The warranty is for one year on the supercharger system parts.

My porsche dealer is an EVO partner. They have been great with handling all post install issues (minor stuff) on their dime. I have heard some really great stories about EVO doing the right thing when something bad happens. So far I have been very pleased with the way my dealer and Evo has treated me. 425 HP to the wheels doesn't suck either

Old 01-02-2006, 03:44 PM
yetis is infamous around these parts
I have been loking at this and the Evo SC. DDog, how many hours does it take to install. Also, it looks like the RUF one comes with different cats? Considering the RUF comes with a 2 year engine warranty and a set of cats (1,500- $2,000), the price variation seems to make a little more sense?

Old 01-02-2006, 03:58 PM
It is supposed to take somewhere between 10 and 15 hours to intall the EVO kit. That's going to vary obviously depending on your installer's experience.

I'm still making more HP than the RUF kit with my stock cats.

I'm not really impressed with the warranty for that kind of money. If their kit was 12K installed, that would be a different story. They're essentially building in the cost of a replacement motor and gambling your not going to need it.

for 20K plus, what is the RUF kit going to offer over the EVO? i can't comment on the RUF reliablity or performance because I have yet to even hear of one person on here or rennlist that has ever installed one.

here's something else to think about? do you live near dallas? if not, who's going to make repairs if something goes wrong. i have heard that they fly techs around, but who wants to deal with that.

i think you should try it if you have the money. i'd love to hear a private owner's impressions of the RUF kit.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:03 AM
Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by deputydog95
I have yet to see one of these on the road, or even any personally owned by anyone on this board or Rennlist.
Could have something to do with that it is a brand new kit

Old 01-03-2006, 06:11 AM
Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by deputydog95
I'm still making more HP than the RUF kit with my stock cats.
i can't comment on the RUF reliablity or performance because I have yet to even hear of one person on here or rennlist that has ever installed one.
How much hp are you making? 470 hp or?
What is your performance 0-60 km/h and 0-200 km/h?

What is the problem with having a tech flow to you?
Having 2 year warranty on the engine + transmission can't be bad.

I have been in a RUF R Kompressor on Hockenheim race track. Didn't drive it, but it felt like a 996 TT in terms of performance.
We were able to keep up with two GT3 RS in a 996 C2 (could of course be driver related you could argue)

Also with the RUF conversion there's no additional weight behind the engine, that makes the car more tail happy.

IMO You can have a tuned Porsche or a RUF conversion

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pics: RUF R Kompressor (997)