996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Head work on a 996 motor ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 07:44 PM
P1 911
Kevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of light
Question Head work on a 996 motor ???

Is there ANY reputable shop that has done HEAD packages for the 996 series of motors??? (M96 motors)

.....Good ol' porting and polishing, 3 angle valve job'ed, CNC machined heads can help pick up a strong 15+HP easy on a N/A car and significantly more on a supercharged applications**

Old 01-15-2006, 09:07 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I'm sure somebody out thereis doing it, there was an outfit about 6mos ago, I'll try and dig up their link. Might try TRG, or any racing engine /machine shop, just take the heads in and tell 'em what you want. There is no mystery to it at all.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:33 PM
P1 911
Kevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by C4S Surgeon
...there was an outfit about 6mos ago, I'll try and dig up their link. Might try TRG, or any racing engine /machine shop, just take the heads in and tell 'em what you want...
Please do.... would really appreciate any reccomended links. Anyone else on shops / services on high-performance head prep. ? I'm interested in any HP #'s that have been achieved by working over the heads on an M96 motor***

Old 01-16-2006, 05:51 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
This is what I have been looking for as well, I am in Canada and so far i have found nothing. I am planning on doing this with the cam and supercharger

Old 01-16-2006, 06:25 PM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Kevin D
Please do.... would really appreciate any reccomended links. Anyone else on shops / services on high-performance head prep. ? I'm interested in any HP #'s that have been achieved by working over the heads on an M96 motor***
check out extrude hone. they have a unique way of porting and polishing. they use abrasive flow machining to remove material, polish and smooth out the flow of intakes, cylinder heads, etc,.

gotta do some hot cams after porting too

Old 01-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by kilrgt
This is what I have been looking for as well, I am in Canada and so far i have found nothing. I am planning on doing this with the cam and supercharger
you are gonna port, cams and supercharger, then get a TT in what, 6 months time?

why don't you get a 996TT now then trade up to a 997TT instead of wasting money on mods that for which you will only get pennies on the dollar? it's easier to trade in/sell an unmolested (at least the engine) car.

Last edited by karlooz; 01-16-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:08 PM
P1 911
Originally posted by karlooz
you are gonna port, cams and supercharger, then get a TT in what, 6 months time?

why don't you get a 996TT now then trade up to a 997TT instead of wasting money on mods that for which you will only get pennies on the dollar? it's easier to trade in/sell an unmolested (at least the engine) car.
Becuase for one thing, a supercharged, upgraded cams having, race head'd C2 will be a SERIOUSLY fast car (faster than a stock new ~480HP 997TT) and much lighter, more responsive, and a supremely better track car. A completely different driving experience / animal than a heavy AWD car.

...Extrude hone is good for some aspects of the head but a proper 3 angle valve job, with polished & custom worked chambers need to be done by a shop that knows their porsche heads. I'm so surprised more people haven't at least taken their heads off to try this already? Are modern day porsche 996/997 owners THAT much of yuppies these days or are these engines nightmares to tweak in any way ?? In the past head work on a 911 was common practice, and there's so much to gain from doing a head/cams/intake/ECU package on a motor. (if you supercharge on top of that then your talking *enormous* differnces! 160+RWHP gains*)

Old 01-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Miykl is infamous around these parts
In the past head work on a 911 was common practice, and there's so much to gain from doing a head/cams/intake/ECU package on a motor. (if you supercharge on top of that then your talking *enormous* differnces! 160+RWHP gains*)
I think we're starting to see a few more people looking to take their NA (or SC'd) 996's further than to the dealer to trade in. I think this trend will continue as the buy in price for 996's becomes more in reach of the average guy who enjoys turning wrenches in his garage. I know I will continue looking for performance out of mine.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:48 PM
you missed my point.

he has "997TT on order" in his sig. why put $$$$$ into it and enjoy it for ~6mos then get a TT? this is assuming he doesn't keep .

how about this...

as you, in your infinite wisdom already know, a TT is much easier to extract major HP. 500, 600, 700, 800, 900 HP 996TT monster. would that be "better" than you 996 scenario? too heavy? remove the front diff and you almost have a gt2. you have a stiffer, better chassis with the TT as well.

Becuase for one thing, a supercharged, upgraded cams having, race head'd C2 will be a SERIOUSLY fast car (faster than a stock new ~480HP 997TT) and much lighter, more responsive, and a supremely better track car. A completely different driving experience / animal than a heavy AWD car.

...Extrude hone is good for some aspects of the head but a proper 3 angle valve job, with polished & custom worked chambers need to be done by a shop that knows their porsche heads. I'm so surprised more people haven't at least taken their heads off to try this already? Are modern day porsche 996/997 owners THAT much of yuppies these days or are these engines nightmares to tweak in any way ?? In the past head work on a 911 was common practice, and there's so much to gain from doing a head/cams/intake/ECU package on a motor. (if you supercharge on top of that then your talking *enormous* differnces! 160+RWHP gains*)

Old 01-16-2006, 11:42 PM
P1 911
Originally posted by karlooz
he has "997TT on order" in his sig. why put $$$$$ into it and enjoy it for ~6mos then get a TT? this is assuming he doesn't keep .
I guess thats the question that needs to be answered in all this. Why would you mod. up and dump money into ANY car you are trying to "trade-in" in 6months....doesn't make sense. I would assume he plans on keeping his C2 as well and making it into a monster. Care to chime in "kilrgt" ?

Old 01-17-2006, 08:38 AM
actually, that is my plan . keep the c2 for the track and get a 996TT for the street.

not sure if i'm gonna mod the c2 any more though. the m96 is still kinda "fragile" compared to the gt/TT blocks. besides, it'll keep upping me in class, then i would have to race against the big dogs, the TTs :O

I guess thats the question that needs to be answered in all this. Why would you mod. up and dump money into ANY car you are trying to "trade-in" in 6months....doesn't make sense. I would assume he plans on keeping his C2 as well and making it into a monster. Care to chime in "kilrgt" ?

Old 01-17-2006, 08:40 AM
TSP-MIAMI is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by kilrgt

You want some good head work done ?? Contact Gianni at Fiorano Racing. He will guide you on exactly what has to get done. A lot of the"special stuff" he does there at his shop.

Theo

Old 01-17-2006, 09:12 AM
P1 911
Originally posted by TSP-MIAMI
You want some good head work done ?? Contact Gianni at Fiorano Racing. He will guide you on exactly what has to get done. A lot of the"special stuff" he does there at his shop.

Theo
Do you have a recommendation of a shop stateside with experience in working over 996 heads ??

Old 01-17-2006, 09:32 AM
TSP-MIAMI is infamous around these parts
Do you have a recommendation of a shop stateside with experience in working over 996 heads ??

Kevin, is you car bone stock right now ? Also , are you looking at any further mods to the motor ? Headers, hi-flow cats, mufflers, ecu ??

Theo

Old 01-17-2006, 09:46 AM
P1 911
Originally posted by TSP-MIAMI
Kevin, is you car bone stock right now ? Also , are you looking at any further mods to the motor ? Headers, hi-flow cats, mufflers, ecu ??
Yes, my 02' C2 is bone stock right now. A really healthy example too (282RWHP dyno & 12.98@109mph at the local strip). I don't want to get little mods at a time for I'm still deciding which route of mods will give me the ultimate HP. Getting a GIAC ECU reflash for example would be a waste of money right now considering i'm looking to supercharge.
However, I'm looking for more power than JUST a SC kit. The EVO or TPC SC kits will only take me to ~405-415rwhp. I'm looking for an honest 445-450RWHP, which basically respresents the next level, or one notch higher performance level than just the basic supercharged cars. I KNOW a good pair of reworked heads + headers and a higher flow TB will give good gains. I want to keep it at bolt-ons basically...no need to tear into the motor. I AM looking at the possibility of reducing the compression thru a thicker Head gasket to run more boost safely out of a SC kit to make to 450rwhp goal...
...It's just difficult becuase I read/hear noone talking about shops that have experience in altering and working with the M96 motors at all. And almost all of the members on this boards haven't really done anything extreme to their motors/996's.

Last edited by Kevin D; 01-17-2006 at 09:49 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Head work on a 996 motor ???