996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Ztek and Fabspeed exhaust install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Banned by Moderators
SANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura about
Ztek and Fabspeed exhaust install

I did the install this evening everything went smooth! I started with the Mufflers out since I had Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes. The removal of the mufflers is a 30-45 minute job. Last weekend I pulled removed the headers 30 minute job. To make the job easier I ordered new header bolts, new gaskets, and new muffler to cat clamps. I had the Zero-tek mufflers and headers which were delivered about a week ago. I did not want to do the install until I had all of the parts. So I figured it was not going to happen this weekend. To my surprise when I got home this afternoon I found that Fedex dropped off the remaining pieces Fabspeed cat bypass pipes and Fabspeed V clamps for the tips.

The entire install (Mufflers and headers were out) including removing the cats as they were still in took 3 hours. I do have air tools which made my life a bit easier. A couple things that you need to thinks about when doing this install. I would call this a 4-5 hour job tops. Of course if I did it again I could cut that down to about 3-31/2 hours knowing the things that could have been avoided.

- use zip ties to hold the header gasket while you get the header bolts started. clip after you get 2 bolts in.
- Header bolts are Torque to 19Lbs
- Use liquid wrench on all bolts prior to removal (This especially includes the 02 sensors)
- Screw in the 02 sensors on the cat bypass before you tighten the hanger clamps and bolt to the header
- when removing or installing the mufflers a ratchet type wrench comes in handy (If you are on a small tool budget, I saw that Costco sells these for about $25 for a set) The bottom nut would be a ***** without it. The top nuts are a snap especially with an air ratchet.
- No brainer of the day make sure you install the header bolts by hand I used a long socket and extension to start them.
-You may (it is easier)have to unbolt the two 10mm bolts holding a water line to get to one of rear header bolt on the passenger side.
- My fabspeed Cat bypass pipes did not come with hardware (May have been an oversight) I did use the 6 of the old header bolts and new nuts. So you might need some additional hardware.

Tools I used:

13mm tall and short socket (Headers bolts, mufflers nuts, Cat nuts)
10mm short socket (H20 Hose, V clamps)
17mm short socket (Cat/muffler clamps)
1/4 socket wrench
1/4 Air socket wrench
long extension
20mm wrench ( 02 sensor)
13mm ratchet wrench
zip ties and wire snips

Oh how does it sound??? PERFECT!!! In no way is it as loud as the Stock headers, Cats, and Muffler bypass. The tone is very raspy and mean. I had the PSE on my 01 996 this sounds very similar yet different maybe a little louder but the growl sounds deeper hard to explain. No CEL yet. I got done around 7:30 so I only took it around the block. I plan on taking the car out on a drive tomorrow to get a better feeling for the sound and the seat of my pants feel if any. The appearance is KILLER! I have it in my plans to detail the engine, I just have not gotten to it. All and all so far I am very happy with the setup. $1600 for a full exhausts back to the engine and dropping 48Lbs is a great value!

BIG THUMBS UP to Fabspeed and Ztek all of the parts fit togeather perfectly. This was one of my fears, that the fitment would be off on one or more of the parts. Everything went togeather perfectly. Nice and snug!

Here are some pics I will take better shots tomorrow and continue the review...

Last edited by SANDOVAL; 01-15-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:36 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Soundclips?

Old 01-15-2006, 10:41 PM
Banned by Moderators
SANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura about
Maybe TimW or a neighbors might have a digicam with sound clip/record capabilities. I will research that. I sold my Sony F707 and upgraded to an SLR so I don't have the ability to take them anymore.

Old 01-15-2006, 11:58 PM
Banned
Tim W. is infamous around these parts
I have one. Shoot me an Email. twasmer@comcast.net

Maybe a quick meet up on Sunday?

Old 01-16-2006, 04:24 PM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
My FabSpeed bypass arrived the other day and it too did not come with hardware.

I'm drooling over those pics!! Anf your description of the sound!! I can't wait to install mine.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Sharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud of
looks really good, i can't wait for a sound clip either, any of you guys know what diameter tube is used for the muffler bypass pipes that fabspeed make? I know you sold your Sandoval, but i figured you may still remember....

Old 01-16-2006, 10:22 PM
Miykl is infamous around these parts
Re: Ztek and Fabspeed exhaust install

Originally posted by SANDOVAL

- use zip ties to hold the header gasket while you get the header bolts started. clip after you get 2 bolts in.[/IMG]
Great tip! Made my install of the Suncoast headers a breaze!

Old 01-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
what bypass pipe is that? all those pieces look great! nice work

Old 01-17-2006, 01:26 AM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Looks great Eric, must sound really good

Old 01-17-2006, 08:29 AM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
Mine are 2 1/8" ID

Old 01-20-2006, 09:51 PM
Banned by Moderators
Here are the sound clips as promised. The system has a great tone and volume to it very mean and aggressive! Also no CEL over 100 miles and still no sign of the light. I highly recommend this setup. At this point my total cost was:

$999 Ztek for the headers 7lbs each and Mufflers 16Lbs each

$499 for the fabspeed bypass
$58 OEM Gaskets, bolts, and clamps
$30 Fabspeed V-Clamps

For the money you can't beat this system. (If your looking to add volume) You also achieve over 40Lbs of weight loss! I am impressed with the quality of the Ztek parts. I think those who have received them can attest to the high quality.

Also thanks to Tim W. for taking the video. I told him that I promised not to leave him out in the middle of no where. We did our filming on a great road which was very safe to maneuver at high speeds.

Click on the images to get the video:

Last edited by SANDOVAL; 01-20-2006 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:05 PM
Banned by Moderators
Another under car shot...

Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2006, 10:11 PM
CABRIO C4 is infamous around these parts
sounds great.. just like the fabspeed sound clip.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Vipercliff is infamous around these parts
My 996 with Ztek headers and K&N cold air intake

Here's my 996 with Ztek headers and K&N intake. It sounds awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heP4LiT6JbQ

Old 03-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
HxCforlife has a spectacular aura aboutHxCforlife has a spectacular aura about
Here's my 996 with Fabspeed muffler bypass and K&N Intake