996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Gauge Bezel Nightmare!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 10:38 AM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
Gauge Bezel Nightmare!!

DON’T USE THE GLUE THEY GIVE YOU!! I received a set of Tech Products OEM aluminum gauge bezels from Brandy Wine Porsche. $110.00. Cheap flimsy product with a very crappy finish. The rings are not pure aluminum, more like some kind of tin with a very thin cheap coating. They include a little tube of “super glue” (English label – German product?). VERY BAD IDEA. The stuff runs and if it gets on your fingers - which it easily can working in the tight spot you must between the spokes of the steering wheel – it can pull the “finish” off the ring. Which it did on the gas gauge ring. I immediately stopped and went out and bought Epoxy – which is what should have come with it – mixed it up and applied it sparingly on the rings and then installed one at a time working from the furthermost gauges to the Tach center. I’m pretty pissed about the mess – the super glue also clouds the plastic gauge lenses. Big mess – big price – looks like ****. I’m going to spend the day trying to “fix” the blemishes in the rigs from where my fingers pulled off the finish. Don’t make this mistake – buy epoxy and **** can the super glue. Funny – I thought of doing that from the get go but figured, hey, it’s German engineering right? That’s what you get for following directions…

Old 01-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Mother is infamous around these parts
Sorry to hear of the out come of your project, but what makes this forum so nice is there are plenty of posts that state NOT to use the glue that comes with that product. Good luck on the clean up.

Last edited by Mother; 01-29-2006 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:48 PM
That's what I get for being new. Lesson learned. Next project I'll search. If they put back the search feature...

Old 01-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Sharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud of
any sort of silicone is a better idea, if need be it just peels off...

Old 01-29-2006, 07:28 PM
Angry Wished they would fix the Search.

Originally Posted by John Romano
That's what I get for being new. Lesson learned. Next project I'll search. If they put back the search feature...
I agree it's long over due for not being able to search.

Old 01-29-2006, 07:36 PM
trozenhorse is infamous around these parts
www.bumperplugs.com

erics quality is real nice and great service, clear sides and all little do dads for the car, he is the man.....

Old 01-29-2006, 07:52 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
yeah man just go with Eric's stuff... that's all I ever sell.

Old 01-30-2006, 08:55 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Jonn,
You should have done a search on this. We have talked about it before. I used 2 way tape, and it worked great. Others used silicon. The glue is worthless.

Last edited by neil.schneider; 06-04-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Where's the "search" feature??

Old 01-30-2006, 10:35 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by John Romano
Where's the "search" feature??
Right at the top of the page.

Old 01-30-2006, 06:36 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I had the same **** happen, armourall actually took out all the sg mess, even after acetone was used to remove the sg.
The trim rings are my least fav mod!!!

Old 01-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Search

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
Right at the top of the page.
My searches still pull up zero results is yours working?

Old 01-30-2006, 09:24 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Red face

The search for Gauge & Bezel both pulled up nada....

Although I did get some results when searching under Porsche

Sorry to hear about your experience, hopefully the search function will be back in service soon.

-Eli

Old 01-31-2006, 02:22 AM
If the biggest mistake I make on this project costs me a hundred bucks in trim rings, and the fuss of cleaning it up, then I'll be knee-deep in tall cotton...

Thanks for the Armor-all tip!! It worked great. There is just one little smudge at the bottom of the gas gauge ring. I can live with it - you really have to look for it. I regrouped just in time..

Now about the search feature....

Old 01-31-2006, 08:00 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
That's probably the single worst mod ever on my car, the look tacky and I'm stuck with 'em!
Guys, don't do it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.