996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Colored Gauge Faces?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 08:24 AM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
Colored Gauge Faces?

Anyone ever DIY? So that I don’t do another gauge bezel nightmare, what’s the process? (search feature useless) Removing the nacelle, getting at the gauges? Any tips, tricks, suggestions? Or just bring it to the dealer?

Old 02-01-2006, 08:37 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
john

see these links.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...wtopic=3333&hl=

good luck. I haven't done mine yet....looking at yellow.

jorge

Old 02-01-2006, 08:49 AM
number7 is infamous around these parts
Old 02-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Lizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of light
one of the porsche techs told me that the 2002 and newer cars are more difficult to do for some reason. he knows me well and he strongly advised that i should not tackle this mod - even he won't do it. (and i've done several difficult mods)

i don't remember what made it so hard but i think it was something about the needles and they aren't as easy to remove - or they can't be removed without breaking them? not really sure

Old 02-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Banned
Tim W. is infamous around these parts
Ok, here is my .02

I put red faces in my 02 C4S. I made some mistakes. I also learned alot. Would I do it again? Yes.

Here is what I learned.

The hardest part to deal with is the needle removal and install. But now that I know how to do it it would not be hard. The key is to be CAREFUL. The post that the needle attaches to interfaces with a gear rod in the little motor. This rod rests on little posts and if you are to rough in removal you lift it off the posts. I was able to open up the motor and put it back on. I actually did this on two of the motors. And while experimenting on opening the first one up knicked a resistor wire and totally screwed it up. Little did I know with the first one that all you had to do was snip the little plastic tabs and the motor opened right up. Dealer quoted me a Zillion dollars to fix. I bought a used cluster on Ebay for 50 bucks and scavenged the part I needed and all was well.

So in conclusion, it is an easy process if you just go slow.

Old 02-01-2006, 02:31 PM
CABRIO C4 is infamous around these parts
Good tip Tim.

Old 02-01-2006, 02:51 PM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Lizard1
one of the porsche techs told me that the 2002 and newer cars are more difficult to do for some reason. he knows me well and he strongly advised that i should not tackle this mod - even he won't do it. (and i've done several difficult mods)

i don't remember what made it so hard but i think it was something about the needles and they aren't as easy to remove - or they can't be removed without breaking them? not really sure

Yeah, mine is an 02...Grrrrrr.... The problem with screwing up a gauge mod is that you're staring at all the time you're driving. I have an appt with my service tech at Champion on Tues. I'll ask what they charge. Maybe he'll look at the gauge bezels and have mercy on me...

Old 02-01-2006, 09:00 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
I have done this Mod on other cars, but when i did my Porsche I knocked the keeper on one of the pin motors, thankfully the dealer warranted the defective cluster.I want Silver or red gauges pretty bad, but i dont want to chance it...

Old 02-01-2006, 09:08 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
My dealer wouldn't do it but referred me to a place in Ca. Mail your gauges and cluster, they do the job and mail back the unit. I went to vipertestarossa and he did it for me. He is a great guy and in north Jersey.