996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Complete 4.0L motor package for ALL 996's by 9ff !!! :-))

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Alexcwt is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kilrgt
You are so right. I guess thats why I am trying to seek out the perfect 996, I honestly believe the new ZO6 the best bang for the buck HANDS down, but i just cant get over the fact its a chevy.Now if Porsche could make a 500HP and a 500TQ NA motor I wouldnt think any other sport car MFG in the world would sell any cars.I guess this goes back to the German way of doing things make it simple and make it work.I think we all agree that Porsche's are not about HP, its about the driving .
I think if they could mass produce the CGT engine and put it in a 911 like chassis, that would be the perfect Porsche. 2+2, 605 hp, 435 lb ft NA motor. Even if they down tune it to 500 hp, 500 tq. But I think the marketing department would get in the way. That means they drop the flat 6 for the 911!!! Kind of like what they say about the 996 being water cooled. But if they built another FR car like the 928 with the V10 and aluminum light weight. Kind of like the "sedan" they are working on. That should get interesting.

Old 03-01-2006, 05:01 PM
P1 911
Kevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Alexcwt
...I'm sorry. I have no interest in a TT. Thanks for the offer. I'm a all motor guy. So even a S/C is not my cup of tea. I'm glad AMG is going to all motor to all their cars.

That's why I was suggesting to start from a GT3 and tune it to 400hp/308 tq is the way to go. GT3 should also be the lightest of the 911s. I actually want a european 3.8L GT3 engine if I could get my hands on one. That should be good for 420 hp and 340 tq. That would be a slot car that tears up the track.

Do you have any idea where the GT3 engine comes in at as far as cost?

I have a 4S purely for the fat *** look. Otherwise, a GT3 would be what I want.
I'm with you...I just LOVE the concept of a super lightweight hardcore N/A stroker (or >3.8L) motor in a 911. And the fastest PCA guys are running exactly that type of configuration. A GT3 motor is roughly the same $$$ as a TT motor ~$20-25K. But the 4.0L 9ff set-up would outhandedly outperform both of them in road course conditions for $30K...brand new, complete and with a warranty* (I just CAN'T afford that gem right now...otherwise it'd be a no-brainer for me) ...For less than half that cost I could have over 460BHP just by bolting on a TPC SC'er...with future gains as headers, cams, heads, throttle body, etc, etc..go in. But even with a S/C'ed 550HP! It wouldn't be the same experience as having an all motor 4.0L, 8500RPM race engine behind you with its crazy sound effects and telepathic throttle response...don't think for one minute I'm in denial about that!

--- Kevin

Last edited by Kevin D; 03-01-2006 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:23 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Alexcwt
I think if they could mass produce the CGT engine and put it in a 911 like chassis, that would be the perfect Porsche. 2+2, 605 hp, 435 lb ft NA motor. Even if they down tune it to 500 hp, 500 tq. But I think the marketing department would get in the way. That means they drop the flat 6 for the 911!!! Kind of like what they say about the 996 being water cooled. But if they built another FR car like the 928 with the V10 and aluminum light weight. Kind of like the "sedan" they are working on. That should get interesting.

Just read in Road and Track that they ARE working on a new 928. It will get a shortened Panamera chasis and will be here in 2010. It'll use the V8.....As well as a 2 door SUV like the X3.

http://www.onlyporsche.net/articles/...mpression.html

http://www.onlyporsche.net/articles/...o-the-928.html

Old 03-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Kevin D
I'm with you...I just LOVE the concept of a super lightweight hardcore N/A stroker (or >3.8L) motor in a 911. And the fastest PCA guys are running exactly that type of configuration. A GT3 motor is roughly the same $$$ as a TT motor ~$20-25K. But the 4.0L 9ff set-up would outhandedly outperform both of them in road course conditions for $30K...brand new, complete and with a warranty* (I just CAN'T afford that gem right now...otherwise it'd be a no-brainer for me) ...For less than half that cost I could have over 460BHP just by bolting on a TPC SC'er...with future gains as headers, cams, heads, throttle body, etc, etc..go in. But even with a S/C'ed 550HP! It wouldn't be the same experience as having an all motor 4.0L, 8500RPM race engine behind you with its crazy sound effects and telepathic throttle response...don't think for one minute I'm in denial about that!

--- Kevin
I guess the $20~25k cost is new. Then the 4.0 from 9ff is not that bad in comparison. I can't afford it right now either. But it doesn't hurt to dream.

From what I understand, the 4.0L is the limit of capacity for the flat 6. Anything larger will be in efficient. So to extract every pony out of the 3.6 will probably be the goal for Porsche for the next few years. Maybe give the engine's life a few more years before ditching the Flat 6 for something with higher limit.

Old 04-01-2006, 04:55 PM
SDboosted is infamous around these parts
anyone do this yet?

Old 04-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Kevin D
#3) Torque is for stoplights to stoplight racing...0-60mph, the most worthless measure of performance (even straighline performance) HP is what makes you pull away from your competitor. That why every publication on earth compare's HP...and power to weight. and noone compares "torque to weights" ROFL. It's obvious how bias you are in favor of a TT coming out with something like "torque to weight" to try to mask it's issues.
I'm not the only one who talks about "torque to weight" now that C&D also talks about it in the current issue. Copy attached red arrow.

I stand corrected. Torque to Weight is more important than HP to weight. It's not greatly publicised becuase it's a concept too hard to understand or explain.

Alex.

Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2006, 02:03 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SDboosted
anyone do this yet?
i'd be surprised if anyone will do it in US. with all the money put into the project u can pick up a Turbo for not much more. then u're talking about even more mods for much easier hp.