996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

PSE, TechArt FGT, ROW M030, SO2's...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 10:16 PM
Banned by Moderators
SANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura about
Cool PSE, TechArt FGT, ROW M030, SO2's...

All of those have one thing in common... they are all on my car!!! Sorry no pics to share today, (boss man borrowed my digi cam) I should have some pics up on Tuesday...

Friday Morning my tire guy called and said the SO2's were in I went with 285's in the rear and 235's up front I have had 4 of 5 sets with great satisfaction. Also the SO2's have the widest tread of all the sport tires (As far as my research has yielded) later in the afternoon my Wheel showed up. I was lucky enough to pick up a set of 18" Black Techart Formula GT's with less them 300 miles on them still in the box from RPM Motorsport. (Great company to deal with package was VERY well packed and the turn around was immediate.) Anyway they were perfect and priced at $1900 shipped! I was the lucky winner on one of their ebay auctions.... back to the story... I went directly to the tire shop and had the tires mounted... went home an hour later had some great looking shoes on the new ride! BUT there was an ugly gap, ride height needed a fix quick!

Sat. Morning got up did my Man chores around the house which included but not limited to... cleaning the garage, washing nic's Z3, getting the X-mas stuff out, and more F-U-N! I got my me time...I put the rear up on stands and started away at the Exhaust pretty simple stuff with air tools... But the Rusty bolts securing the exhaust to the cat would not move... plus I got a nasty piece of rust in my eye which tool a good 15min of rinsing to get it out. After that I said F-it I will pay to have somone deal with this...

One phone call to the new Super Autobacs Super store... (Mostly asian performance and AV stuff in a Costco size building)

SA: Hello SA ...bla blah blah
Eric: Hello do you install exhaust?
SA: Yes
Eric: Great have any of your guys touched a Porsche 996?
SA: Hold on let me get the Service manager Richard
Richard: Hello can I help you?
Eric: have any of your guys touched a Porsche 996?
Richard: Yes
Eric: Can you swap out the stock for a PSE?
Richard: Yes, we sell 996 exhaust in the store, and we do install those as well... (More on this later)
Eric: Great! What about suspension (I did not plan on having them install)
Richard: Do you have the suspension?
Eric: Yes, it is Porsche M030 SS
Richard: Struts, sways etc?
Eric: Yes, what do you charge...?
Richard: Let me pull it up.... ok sir $260 Front, $260 Rear and $80 for an alignment so $600 out the door...
Eric: What do you use for the alignment a Hunter?
Richard: Yes a hunter and we can take custom specs.
Eric: Can you take me in the morning?
Richard: Yes it is first come first serve and we open at 10:30 and close at 6:00 so you should be here when we open...
Eric: Great! Thanks for your help

Today I got out of the house at about 10:30 and got the car there at 11:00 spoke to Richard, he said expect it to be done by 6PM...

Anyway $600 for the suspension work with alignment and $100 for the PSE install (No electronic wiring)!!! I did a write up a few weeks ago on this place very proffesional They also have a HUGE waiting room and bridge overlooking the Service bay. I watched them pull everthing off the car. They had 2-3 guys on the car like a pit crew... by the time my ride got there they had front struts and sways off.... now down to one guy.... Nic picked me up and we went X-mas shopping at the Block and then had a late lunch. She dropped me off at 5:00 and they were still at the exhaust but the suspension was done (still needing an alignment). So I went in to the store and looked around... Last time I was there they were still setting the store up. This time I found they had some 996 specific parts Example they stock the following items:

Techart SS door sills $499
Techart SE (Look identicle to the PSE Is it the same???) $1799
Techart Shift ****, pedals.... and more
Techart Exhaust Tips $499
Romulus Exhaust $1622
B&M SSK $249

I thought this was pretty cool, expensive but cool. I bought some connectors for my KIRBY Garage door opener mod...then headed back to the waiting room it was getting close to 5:30 and they were dropping the car from the lift... the moment I was waiting for.... VRRRRRROOOOOOOM! VROOOOOM! VROOOOOOOM! Richard looked up at me with a thumbs up! They load the car on the Hunter... and get her done in less then 30 min.... Sweet. spent a few minutes reminising about the problems they ran into then I said thank you for everything... You will get high recommondations from me... with repeat business to follow and I was off... The handfull of techs hanging around the car with all types of great compliments asked me to wind her up when I get out on to the street...

My ride home was fantastic... As many have said in the past this is the exhaust that they should have installed from the factory! It gives the car soul! I love it. The ROW M030 is Perfect Stiff but not teeth jarring stiff it was the right choice for me. It also closed the gap between the fender and the wheels.

I will post pics later this week. I want to thank Richard and Super Autobacs I was very skepticle as it was primarily an asian performance car store. They saved me probably at least $600-800 today!

I highly recommend their shop! They are located in Stanton (Orange county/So.Cal) http://www.autobacsusa.com

Last edited by SANDOVAL; 12-07-2003 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:24 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
Cool writeup
Remeber though: a pic is worth a thousand words

Old 12-08-2003, 01:42 AM
ZX7R is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the writeup..

You should enjoy the car a whole lot more now...I had the PSE installed on my new car and as a matter of fact I have not even heard my car with the stock exhaust (This Forums Fault). You are right in suggesting this is how a stock 996 should sound.

My only problem is that I have yet to hear the PSE with WOT as I'm still running the car in.

Another trick you may wish to try is to stand on the side of the road and have someone else drive past in your car at WOT - should sound impressive!

Let us know how you find the 030 setup as far as handling is concerned..I installed the X74 and do not find the car stiff either but it does drive around corners with bugger all body roll..

Old 12-08-2003, 02:07 AM
AdamB is infamous around these parts
Costas:

Sorry for my ignorance but what does "bugger all body roll" mean? I'm guessing it means a lot of body roll.

Old 12-08-2003, 08:15 AM
Banned by Moderators
SANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura about
I take lots of pics but let someone borrow my camera... I would have taken pics while they worked on the car oh well. Rest assure they are coming. Yes I got to here her coming and going as the tech took the car out for a little joy ride to make sure the work was done properly... he had my permission... I think I made his week.

Old 12-08-2003, 09:33 PM
longhorn911 is infamous around these parts
I was on vacation for a week and just got back. Good job, Sandoval, you've made nice progress on the mods.

Next mod: get your friend his own damn camera for Christmas! You need yours to document all of these mods...

Old 12-08-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by AdamB
Costas:

Sorry for my ignorance but what does "bugger all body roll" mean? I'm guessing it means a lot of body roll.
A bit of Aussie Lingo .....basically, in the above context it actually refers to minimal body roll - I should had spelled it out a little clearer for the US/ROW folk out there.

Sounds like you guys need to watch some more Australian Movies etc....

Old 12-08-2003, 10:47 PM
Banned by Moderators
Shrimp on the Barbie with Cheech Marin is a great one! Or Crockodile dundee... hmmm those are the only two I can think of.

Old 12-08-2003, 11:05 PM

That will do for your first lesson....