996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Quick and revised painted caliper logo instructions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 08:30 AM
CoreyNJ is infamous around these parts
Quick and revised painted caliper logo instructions...

Now the under 1 week process, if you heed the warning in the end...

OK..

Step 1.
get a set of calipers powdercoated from Sandoval.

Step 2.
Clean caliper front with rubbing alcohol and let dry...Then apply logo stencil...
and rub it on really well...

Step 3.
Prepare all the calipers so you can do them all at once...

Step 4.
Mask off the rest of the caliper front so that the paint only goes on the stencil. Uses painters blue tape so you don't damage the caliper finish...

Step 5.
Here's the new time-cutting trick, get some G2 black caliper paint(enamel with catalyst, you can use spray hi-temp paint brushed on, but will have to wait a week before you re-clear coat the caliper with G2 you can do it the next day).

do 2 light coats of paint using a brush. try to get some on the seams of the painters tape so you can later gadge how dry the paint is. Wait 10 minutes between coats...
Before you lift off the logo wait about 40 minutes and you may want to skin the paint a bit more with a heat gun, if it's not 70' or higher with low humidity. You can check if everything is dry by sampling the "pull" with the blue painters tape. You don't want to wait for everything to be completley dry or the paint will crack when you remove the stencil.

Step 6.
Gently peel the logo off starting with the "E". Keep a razor and a small tweezers to help peel the logo off.

The logo will now be slightly raised. Wait about an hour or two and use a paper towel to dust off the surface and remove any flaking logo paint.

Step 7.
If you used the G2 paint with catalyst wait a day, enamel paint will bubble and get all messed up if you try to put more enamel on top before it is cured enough. The catalyst does this. If you used spray paint with a brush, you must wait 7 days, according to the can, before you can re-coat or in our case re-clear. After waiting, clean the caliper with rubbing alcohol.

Step 8.
Mask off everything including the brake line connection opening and the pistons.

Step9.
Use three light coats of hi-temp clear spray to cover the caliper. You do not need to paint the back of the calper (that's why I have the screwdrivers in the caliper holes to keep them standing up on their back where the brakeline fitting is.)

Step 10.
Wait 3 days and using a sanding block and 1500 & 2000 grit wet sandpaper. Soak the block in soapy water and rinse it often. The goal here is to smooth out the clear and the logo to flat. Any drips or imperfections in the clear can also be fixed here.

Step 11.
Rubbing compound or ScratchX the areas you wet sanded to make them smooth and shiny and clean the whole thing again with rubbing alcohol.

Step 12.
Get them put on...One word of warning...after the pics...
Here's a comparison shot. with yellow in front and black in back.

Last edited by CoreyNJ; 02-28-2006 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:35 AM
and here's the wheels...

Here's the warning:
I guess I got lucky... The clear and logo paint may not be fully cured after only a week, after some research it apparently takes about 2-3 weeks to not have issues with brake cleaner and lacquer cleaner. luckily my shop was clean with the calipers they put on and they didn't need to use it(nearly a week later after some stop and go driving, mines fully cured now). How did I find this out you ask... Well I went to send Sandoval back a caliper that my shop didn't put on and had gotten in the process dirty, I decided to clean it up a bit so he could see the logo job. I had some brake cleaner in the garage so I took it outside and sprayed. The clear was about 5 days old, well it started to peel like rubber cement. Figured the logo must be cured though, so I decided to try to clean the rest of the clear off so he could see the logo. I used lacquer cleaner to speed things up over brake cleaner, figuring the logo was fully cured since it's been about 10 days..., well even though it was cured enough for recoat. The lacquer cleaner took the logo off. So as an experiment, I had something that was painted with the same paint about a month ago and tested it. Guess what, nothing it did not react at all to either brake cleaner or lacquer cleaner. So I tried a little lacquer cleaner on a qtip in a place you can't see on the new calipers that have been baked by driving, and guess what... Nothing, so the heat and a few more days and it was permanent.

anyway enough of that...

Old 02-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Banned
Tim W. is infamous around these parts
Great job! Thanks for the curing info.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:20 AM
No problem... I should mention the powder coated part has no such curing issues as it is oven cured after being powderpainted.

Old 02-28-2006, 12:27 PM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
so, wada ya think, Eric??

Old 02-28-2006, 12:41 PM
John,
I think your going to love your Sandoval painted calipers. You have an 02 correct? Any pics... I know you've done a bunch of things to it....

Old 02-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Nice write-up! Museum piece.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:53 PM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CoreyNJ
John,
I think your going to love your Sandoval painted calipers. You have an 02 correct? Any pics... I know you've done a bunch of things to it....
I can't wait!! Yes, mine is an 02 as well - arctic silver. I had an exhaust tip issue with Type 911 in England. It seems it will sorted out right about the time Eric sends my calipers out - a new set is the way. When everything gets here I will then attack the five-foot high pile of boxes in my dining room and put my car together. Before, during and, after pix will surely follow!! Stay tuned.