996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Upgraded Clam Shell Motor Potentiometer Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 01:11 PM
Jglowien is infamous around these parts
Angry Upgraded Clam Shell Motor Potentiometer Install

Need guidance on how the blue potentiometer ('pot') gets installed onto the upgraded clam shell motor. I have an '01 996 cabriolet, and the original part is considered 'unobtainium', hence why I had to upgrade. When the clam shell stopped opening correctly, I bought the upgraded motor, potentiometer, studs and bracket through a Porsche dealer who said I needed all of them. The pot is in a blue housing and was shipped separate from/not attached to the motor. Dealer provided no guidance on how the blue housing snaps into the motor gear box. (Footnote: dealer also didn't know that the new bracket requires you to saw off the old one, drill 3 new mounting holes in the master bracket also holding the hydraulic pump, and buy 3 new 6mm bolts and nuts.) The blue pot housing literally can be snapped in either way. I suspect there is a right way and a wrong way, since the resistance reading from the pot has to be set initially at 6.2K ohms and is then telling the computers the clam shells position. The new part was able to close the clam shell but does not want to open.

In the attached photo, the newer, beefier motor is at the top and the original one at the bottom. The blue pot housings are shown attached to their corresponding motors. Note the different size to each. The new pot at the top is snapped in with the thicker part of its housing on the left and the thinner part snapped into the motor. Is that correct? Or is it the other way around? If anyone has a picture of the newer motor and pot installed and working, I would appreciate seeing it.