996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

GT3 Center radiator upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
GT3 Center radiator upgrade

I tried to search cause I know that info is out there, but nothing came back for me

I went to a lapping day yesterday and my car was just getting way too hot! Recently I replaced a hose that went bad and I had to refill my fluids. If I did the mixutre wrong would that have any effect on how hot Porsche motors get??? i personally don't think so, but I need to ask. Also who has done it and what did you notice most about it?

Also my car does not have a cooling fan in the engine compartment, maybe that could solve everything by itself...

input would be wonderful! also who has the best price on the kit?

Thanks!!
Bruce

Old 03-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Miykl is infamous around these parts
try re burping the cooling system. Air in the system will cause higher temps.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
what is the best way to burp it?

Old 03-30-2006, 09:55 PM
Miykl is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Brucem
Stolen from another site, but describes what I do pretty well. There may be Porsche specific "tricks" I am not familiar with....

Leave the radiator cap off, turn the engine on and let it run until the radiator "burps": You will see the coolant level drop and may see or hear a large air bubble come to the top as the system burps. Keep an eye on the temperature gauge throughout this process. Refill the radiator to the top and coolant reservoir as needed. Put the radiator cap back on. Let the engine cool down and then add more coolant to both the radiator and the coolant reservoir.

Repeat after cooled.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:21 PM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
try this. there's a relief valve on top of the reservoir. lift the lever so that it is vertical. loren over at renntech said that the cup cars run this way all the time.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:31 PM
i don't think the engine compartment fan would really help at speed. it's mainly for when you are stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.

one thought... you have the RSR bodywork. unless you have the proper front ducting, the air drawn into the front bumper intake openings can go out towards the side of the bumper. the airflow can further be forced out the sides if your radiators are in the stock location, they can deflect the airflow out to the sides. either relocate the radiators to the RSR locations or get some ducts and close up that side opening.

check out the pic i attached. you can see the radiator is turned. the RSR ducts re direct it almost 90 degrees and out the side. the oem way is out the bottom.

I tried to search cause I know that info is out there, but nothing came back for me

I went to a lapping day yesterday and my car was just getting way too hot! Recently I replaced a hose that went bad and I had to refill my fluids. If I did the mixutre wrong would that have any effect on how hot Porsche motors get??? i personally don't think so, but I need to ask. Also who has done it and what did you notice most about it?

Also my car does not have a cooling fan in the engine compartment, maybe that could solve everything by itself...

input would be wonderful! also who has the best price on the kit?

Thanks!!
Bruce

Attached Images  

Last edited by karlooz; 03-30-2006 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:30 AM
thanks Carlos... mine are already set like that.. I think my BIG problem is that I did not burp it properly!! I will take care of that over the weekend! right after I install my new brakes! thanks guys!

Old 03-31-2006, 01:06 AM
thanks Carlos... mine are already set like that.. I think my BIG problem is that I did not burp it properly!! I will take care of that over the weekend! right after I install my new brakes! thanks guys!
really? my memory must be going. i thought they were still in the oem configuration.

kewl... but... it's great they went to the trouble to reconfigure the radiators but funny that they did not add the middle 3rd radiator

BTW the search function is STILL broken. arrrrggghh . i typed in my user id and came up with no matches .

Old 03-31-2006, 11:12 AM
ya now that you point out to me about all the changing they did.. i am surprised they did not add it myself...

you should see from the two pictures that I uploaded how they changed to position of the radiator. I didn't even know they were different on stock cars

Old 03-31-2006, 08:22 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Here is a link to pictures of mine I installed. Temps dropped alot. Also run Redline Water Wetter and you will be good! If you have not purchased it yet, hit me up.
Install here - http://vrsm.vividracing.com/index.ph...=Project%20996

Old 03-31-2006, 08:40 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Well worth it car runs cooler and better this is another disadvantage the 996 has on the track as well as its non-dry sump lube..

Old 03-31-2006, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Marc996Miami
Well worth it car runs cooler and better this is another disadvantage the 996 has on the track as well as its non-dry sump lube..
disadvantage over....?

ya kinda like the m3's "semi dry sump" (marketing speak)... real world meaning wet sump. porsche does the same thing.

Old 04-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Auto Cross Expert
testdrv321 is infamous around these parts
The center radiator is a must if you are going to track the car in warm weather. Almost every 996 I have seen w/o it has overheated when it is 90+ degrees outside.

Old 04-18-2006, 02:13 PM
what kind of temps are people running at with a stock setup? I had my fluids done over the weekend and I only drove the car about 20 miles, but I noticed that it took alot longer to get to full temp. than it did before. The needle hovers right about the end of the 0 on 180. does that sound about what most people are seeing?

I will be adding water wetter later on this week before I go out for my next drive

thanks for all the tips guys! (btw it doesn't get above 90 very often here in seattle so I will ahve to see how the car does next time at the track)

and Marc quit beating up the ole 996 you m3 lover LOL

Last edited by Brucem; 04-18-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Auto Cross Expert
testdrv321 is infamous around these parts
Be carefulw ith addatives, some have bad results. I would stick with OEM coolant

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 Center radiator upgrade