996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How to launch/drag a C4!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Slowpoke is infamous around these parts
How to launch/drag a C4!

Hey again guys,

As the topic says, how do you guys launch (and destroy) your cars when a M3 comes up to you at the redlight and revs at you

Brutally like revving to 5-6K rpms and bam, release clutch? Or any other way?

Never launched and want to know so I don't make a fool out of myself

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-14-2006, 11:05 PM
mkell has a spectacular aura aboutmkell has a spectacular aura aboutmkell has a spectacular aura about
Not really sure what the tricks are in the 911 as I don't have one, but go out in practice in a safe/desolate area.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:41 AM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
hmmm.....well first buy a new clutch, dont install.....then burn out any way you want, after a few times, install new clutch....911's never have been off the light from a stop cars....not what they were designed for.....if you wanna drag, get a vette.....

Old 04-15-2006, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by newport996
if you wanna drag, get a vette.....
*Shaking my head*

I allready had a 10 sec Supra, now I just *want to know*, not saying I'm gonna drag the car!

Old 04-15-2006, 08:20 AM
ericdee has a spectacular aura aboutericdee has a spectacular aura aboutericdee has a spectacular aura about
Let it go at 2-3K, anymore than that your going to cook the clutch.

Old 04-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
You'll burn the clutch if you "dump-it"..... Better to bring it up to a comfortable level and release, but stay away from dumping it......

-Eli

Old 04-15-2006, 10:50 AM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
side step the clutch, it won't last long tho.

Old 04-15-2006, 12:46 PM
Don Relentless is infamous around these parts
reving it too high at 5-6k is gonna cook the clutch to the point where 2nd and 3rd will be slipping. 2-3k is fine. just needs a little practice here and there. too many launchs back to back will also cook your clutch.

Old 04-15-2006, 02:14 PM
OK, will do!

Old 04-16-2006, 08:58 AM
Dev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really nice
Just curious but, why would you care if a BMW wants to street race? You own a Porsche, you dont have to prove a thing. Street racing kills innocent people. With all your questions about a simple launch, you would be doing Porsche an injustice by roasting your clutch off the line or even worse, misjudging that lane change or corner, putting yourself and others in danger. I've seen it done and burried a friend the very next day.
Just drive your car respectively and live to drive another day. Whats the matter, all the head turning you get isn't enough?

Old 04-16-2006, 09:49 AM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Dev911
Just curious but, why would you care if a BMW wants to street race? You own a Porsche, you dont have to prove a thing. Street racing kills innocent people. With all your questions about a simple launch, you would be doing Porsche an injustice by roasting your clutch off the line or even worse, misjudging that lane change or corner, putting yourself and others in danger. I've seen it done and burried a friend the very next day.
Just drive your car respectively and live to drive another day. Whats the matter, all the head turning you get isn't enough?

Well said !

Old 04-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Lizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of light
i've done it once. revved up to about 2500 rpms then let the clutch out a little quicker than normal while giving it more gas. spun the tires and cooked that 280Z ....but this was in a 996 C2

Old 04-20-2006, 03:50 PM
82targa is infamous around these parts
you're gonna mess up your alignment if you do it wrong...

Old 04-21-2006, 11:10 AM
wyo996 is infamous around these parts
I just can't launch my car at all. I did the Gtech thing after my SC install and had terrible 30 and 60 ft times. With AWD and those big tires the Pcar is just impossible to drag race. Just ease out the clutch then hammer it. I have not even tried a hard launch since the LWFW and Stage II clutch install. Sorry, Will

Old 04-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Alexcwt is infamous around these parts
I do it all the time. With Mich PS2, the car hops and jumps off the line like a bat out of hell. I only have 10k on the car so I can't vow for clutch life. But they are still fine so far. 3500 rpm with quick let out while increasing throttle. I tried side steping but it doesn't feel very good. Don't forget to turn off PSM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.