996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Cost of owning 996 VS. E46 M3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 11:15 AM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Cost of owning 996 VS. E46 M3

Hey guys,

I'm currently in the market for a M3 and although a 911 would be nice, I've always assumed Porsches in general would be more expensive to own. I'm wondering if you can help me out and let me know what's to be expected in terms of cost. Any pending issues/problems and are expected or are they pretty reliable? Would love to get my hands on a 99+ with aero.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Joeskie is a jewel in the roughJoeskie is a jewel in the roughJoeskie is a jewel in the roughJoeskie is a jewel in the rough
If you look into 02+ they should be pretty reliable. I have heard a lot about glemlins in the 99-01 (Someone confirm this...)

Old 05-22-2006, 11:36 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Joeskie
If you look into 02+ they should be pretty reliable. I have heard a lot about glemlins in the 99-01 (Someone confirm this...)
If youre talking about the 911 they are very dependable no known problems I have heard of, but since u said u were more in the market for an m3, they have had some problems. I would agree with joekie, 02+ for the m3 would be good because I have heard of problems with blown stock motors on the e46 m3s, although bmw will replace. Porsche is the way to go even though i love m3s, still love Porsches more.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:39 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Joeskie
I have heard problems with e46 m3s having blown engines through the 2002 year, although bmw will replace. joeskie, if u are talking about 99-01 Porsches, there are no problems there whatsoever. Go with the Porsche, better car (even though I love m3s). Porsche is just an experience you cannot get anywhere else besides a porsche, ferrari, or lambo.

Last edited by PorscheC4; 05-22-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:56 PM
CLS
CLS is infamous around these partsCLS is infamous around these parts
I had a 1998 M3 loved driving it an I drove the S**T out of the car never had and engine problems. I did have to replace tie rods, radiator, plastic, water pump. I would say the parts cost and the shop labor is going to be the same as for Porsche. The feel driving is completely different both are fun you can pick up a used M3 much cheaper than a Porsche in the Bay Area, CA. Best of luck!

Old 05-22-2006, 11:33 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the inputs so far guys. I'm just trying to see for around $35K, which car would be a better idea for me. It "SEEMS" that a 911 would be more expensive to own but I'm not so sure anymore. I'd imagine for the price of a 03-04 M3, you can find a 2000-2001 911.

Any ideas on where to look other than the usual cars.com/autotrader? Would love a 911 w/aero.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:46 AM
nicolaasdb is infamous around these parts
BMW and Porsches are the same in maintenance cost...the stealers of both brands charge you an arm and a legg for parts and labor!!

Old 06-01-2006, 03:08 AM
Banned
Chaapa'ai is infamous around these parts
I might be willing to sell you my M3. $48k shipped to your front door. Silver Gray, Black leather, 6 spd, 9k miles, 2006 year model. PVT MSG ME.

Old 06-01-2006, 08:29 AM
AudiOn19s is infamous around these parts
In owning both I can tell you as long as nothing breaks the Porsche is actually slightly cheaper to maintain than the M3.

All of the '01-03.5 M3's had an engine recall. The Rod Bearings were replaced in all of the motors and after the recall is completed you're required to run Castrol TWS 10W 60 motor oil with the new bearings. BMW also gave a 6 yr / 100K mile warranty on the motor of all of these cars. The only other issue that I've seen is a few problems here and there with The Vanos unit expiring and causing a mess on the top end of the motor...with your 6 yr / 100K mile warranty this should be no issue and again this is pretty rare.

Oil changes are about equal between the two
Brake pads and rotors are nearly the same cost.
filters, fluids, etc are all going to be nearly a wash.

Where the M3 is slightly more expensive is because it's a solid lifter motor that requires periodic valve adjustments. Most of the cost is labor in getting to the valves to check them but I did have shims added in two of my valves at 35K miles when they were checked.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Old 06-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
In owning both I can tell you as long as nothing breaks the Porsche is actually slightly cheaper to maintain than the M3.

All of the '01-03.5 M3's had an engine recall. The Rod Bearings were replaced in all of the motors and after the recall is completed you're required to run Castrol TWS 10W 60 motor oil with the new bearings. BMW also gave a 6 yr / 100K mile warranty on the motor of all of these cars. The only other issue that I've seen is a few problems here and there with The Vanos unit expiring and causing a mess on the top end of the motor...with your 6 yr / 100K mile warranty this should be no issue and again this is pretty rare.

Oil changes are about equal between the two
Brake pads and rotors are nearly the same cost.
filters, fluids, etc are all going to be nearly a wash.

Where the M3 is slightly more expensive is because it's a solid lifter motor that requires periodic valve adjustments. Most of the cost is labor in getting to the valves to check them but I did have shims added in two of my valves at 35K miles when they were checked.

Hope this helps.

Andy
Andy,

This is very helpful info. From your experience and what you read on the forums, would you say both these cars need to have a extended warrenty on them? I will probably end up driving these cars maybe 4K miles a year and if they just have a similiar chance of breaking down to something like a Honda or something, it's probably not worth the extra money for the extended.

Thanks,

Jack

Old 06-02-2006, 08:26 AM
AudiOn19s is infamous around these parts
Personally I like to get my hands dirty evern once in awhile and I'm very big on preventative maintenance so I did not opt for an extended warranty on either car.

If you're a hands-off type of person the extended warranty may be for you.

Andy

Old 06-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Personally I like to get my hands dirty evern once in awhile and I'm very big on preventative maintenance so I did not opt for an extended warranty on either car.

If you're a hands-off type of person the extended warranty may be for you.

Andy
You'd have to be more than handy to be able to fix issues associated with a 5 year old car.

For either car, a warranty will be well worth it. Even if you never have to make a claim, you have peace of mind.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:26 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
got a bunchof former m3 owners here , bumble996, jnrsm3, illm3, habitat just to name a few

Old 06-03-2006, 07:51 AM
citan is infamous around these parts
How about RMS issues with 996s?
Do they happen often, or does the forum make it seem like a more widespread problem than it really is?

Old 06-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by citan
How about RMS issues with 996s?
Do they happen often, or does the forum make it seem like a more widespread problem than it really is?
This is a hit or miss deal. There are many cases of RMS issues, but many cars including 3 of my former Porsches had none.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cost of owning 996 VS. E46 M3