996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Inaccurate gas readings??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 12:57 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kem
Mine reads correctly (or at least close to correctly) however when Im on empty I go to fill up and can only fit in 8-9 gallons. I can only fill it 3/4 full, the pump keeps cutting the fuel thinking the tank is full. If I keep trying I can get it to fill more but it takes 20 tries so I usually deal with only 3/4 tank. I had my sender replaced already. Any ideas?
Another frequent complaint. The easiest solution is to always make sure the car is tilted away from the gas pump/nozzle. If it's level or even slightly angled towards the pump you have a good chance of this happening. If there's a concrete pad at the pump and pavement right next to it that's lower, put your outside wheels on the pavement.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:38 PM
vette67 is infamous around these parts
Tsb 2066

Originally Posted by teflon_jones
Another frequent complaint. The easiest solution is to always make sure the car is tilted away from the gas pump/nozzle. If it's level or even slightly angled towards the pump you have a good chance of this happening. If there's a concrete pad at the pump and pavement right next to it that's lower, put your outside wheels on the pavement.
I've learned that:

1) TSB's are sold to Porsche dealers and some independents. They are not free and will not show up on any free sites on the Net for long before Porsche legal dept will erase them.

2) This particular TSB requires a couple of tie-wraps and 3 hours labor to complete. They have to drain the tank and pull the fuel pump and lines out. That's about 3 cents in parts and $300 labor.

Maybe I have a bad attitude but it seems wrong to me that Porsche would acknowledge a lack of foresight in their design but still charge you to fix it!

If anybody has a copy of that TSB I'd love to see it. If it doesnt look too hard I'll just do it myself.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:39 PM
viper501 is infamous around these parts
If you are a member of Renntech.org you can veiw all of the TSB's. Membership is cheap and the site has a lot of good information on it.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:54 PM
vette67 is infamous around these parts
Thanks Viper.

The TSB shows a pretty simple fix but I got lucky last night when I filled up and wont have to do it. The float must have worked itself loose because everything is back to normal now.

Old 06-29-2006, 04:34 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
iaAaron is infamous around these parts
my 951 gauge never worked right. it would never read full.